Charity Race for a Cause You Do Not Support? (Read 1287 times)

Would you pay to run in a charity race if the cause supported by the proceeds of the race was one that you do not support? Or, what if the cause was something you actually oppose? Not something generic like helping kids or fighting disease ... but a cause on which people definitely take sides, such as supporting a particular political candidate or cause, or something related to a polarizing social issue such as reproductive rights or immigration, or perhaps something supporting a religious viewpoint as to which your beliefs are completely different. Does it matter if the race in question happens to fit perfectly in your training schedule, or looks to be staged on a PR-worthy course, or simply offers a wonderfully scenic route? Would you bite your tongue and run it anyway, skip it entirely, or perhaps bandit the race as a form of protest? (P.S. I suggest that any answers gloss over the details of the specific cause or charity at issue. I think we already know that as a diverse community, we're going to all have widely divergent views on a variety of hot-button issues. I'm simply curious to read whether folks would run in "the enemy's" race, not who or what the particular enemy might be.)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nope.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nope.
        I don't think I could either, but I would be tempted. Its not always easy to find races that fit into a training cycle. This morning I was looking at race calendars for a race of a particular distance on a particular date, and lo-and-behold I was lucky enough to find a perfect event for my schedule. Then I looked at the website and saw where my money would be going. Uggh.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Menace to Sobriety

Same here. Unforunately, where you vote with your dollars matters more these days than where you vote with your actual vote.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Then I looked at the website and saw where my money would be going. Uggh.
            Which is one of many reasons I would never join Curves. For me, participating in any sort of event or business that supports something that I oppose gives the impression that I am a supporter. And if I have x # of $s to spend, I'd rather not spend them to fund something I don't agree with.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

Which is one of many reasons I would never join Curves.
              What is Curves supporting?

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Lisa3.1

... but a cause on which people definitely take sides, such as supporting a particular political candidate
                No .....................
                  Nope. I wouldn't run it. Craig and Zoom are right - $ talks and I definitely take a look at what my funds are supporting before I plunk down the cash. However, I rarely have seen a race supporting something politically controversial - it's usually to support medical research, or a community outreach group, a memorial run, even my local running club.
                  Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

No ... there will always be another race out there somewhere. Neil

Running ... just keep running!

Misinformation Officer

No way would I do the race. Money talks...and so does participation.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. In fact, there have been occasional local races that are in support of something that I do not, and I have not participated. But. Would you bandit such a race?

All business

But. Would you bandit such a race?
                          I don't think there would be a better race to bandit. Especially if it fit well into your training schedule.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Hannibal Granite

If it was a race I really wanted to do I would probably still run the race, much like there are many worhty cause races that I don't run in. I don't run races b/c they support a charity or a cause I run them b/c they are a measured distance with competition and police gaurding the roads - that is what I'm paying my $ for. I couldn't tell you what cause the last 5K I ran in was supporting nor do I care. I think it is great that some good causes can be helped by me running in a road race, but if someone puts on a race just to make $ that would be fine with me too. The person (or persons) putting on a race just make $ probably have some different political beliefs than me so by supporting that race am I supporting their beliefs? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm definately supporting the cause of having quality road races available to me, which is a cause I support Smile

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Zoomie - You have SO piqued my curiosity... I even went to the Curves website and can't find a clue as to their "agenda."

Jeanne

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Which is one of many reasons I would never join Curves.
                                NO. WHY CURVES? I HAVE A NICE WATER BOTTLE HOLDER WITH A CELLPONE POCKET FROM CURVES. DW NO LONGER GOES THERE. I GUESS I AM A RUNNING ADVERTISMENT?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/