Charity Race for a Cause You Do Not Support? (Read 1287 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomie - You have SO piqued my curiosity... I even went to the Curves website and can't find a clue as to their "agenda."
    VERY right-wing, pro-life. Owner gives a big chunk of his wealth each year to causes I don't support.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hoodoo Guru

, pro-life.
      Being pro-life is bad?

The tangents are moot.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Being pro-life is bad?
        Aaaand this is why I didn't state exactly why I don't support Curves in the first place. I'm not going to be sucked into one of those political debates that never go anywhere or change anyone's opinion, anyhow.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Nope - never. My money will never go to a cause I don't or can't support. I won't even buy an album from a musician who make a point of espousing and promoting a position I don't agree with (not gonna name names to avoid hijacking this thread). Having said that, I wish there were more ways to hook up your own personal favorite charity with a race fundraising effort - most races seem to pick a few charities and only let you run for those, and the few big multi-race groups (i.e. Team In Training) aren't supporting the charities I'd like to most. It'd be nice if someone could start a fundraising company to play middleman between races, racers, and the charitable organizations. MTA for clarity

Hoodoo Guru

Aaaand this is why I didn't state exactly why I don't support Curves in the first place. I'm not going to be sucked into one of those political debates that never go anywhere or change anyone's opinion, anyhow.
            Very smart answer. I wasn't really trying to start something, just making a note of the irony, shall we say, of something that is "pro-life" being bad. I know I shouldn't have gone there, but couldn't help it. I guess I should have made a comment in Trent's "would you bandit a race for a cause you don't believe in" post instead. I'll go do that now. Carry on.

The tangents are moot.

TJoseph

I will stay away from the politics of it, but if I had to guess I think corporate CEOs tend to be more conservative than liberal. An employee's politics does not necessarily represent the position of the company he works for. Even the CEO. Although I think you would get a way better workout running for 30 minutes than doing the Curves workout for 30 minutes.

Hoodoo Guru

Nope. In fact, there have been occasional local races that are in support of something that I do not, and I have not participated. But. Would you bandit such a race?
                Now that's funny. By banditing a race for a cause you don't believe in you may appear to be supporting the cause but are actually undermining it. Even better if you complain the next day about how messed up the timing was and that you couldn't get any water at the aid stations.

The tangents are moot.

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

(sorry Zoom)

Jeanne

Just Be

Being pro-life is bad?
                    It doesn't need to be defined as either bad or good - it's simply a matter of opinion. Being passionate about your opinion is one thing, but how you choose to express your passion will ultimately decide whether or not the majority of civilized society views your intentions as bad or good. In the end, everything boils down to an opinion and nothing at all is truly concrete - it's the collective opinion of the whole that creates credibility.
                    JakeKnight

(P.S. I suggest that any answers gloss over the details of the specific cause or charity at issue. I think we already know that as a diverse community, we're going to all have widely divergent views on a variety of hot-button issues. I'm simply curious to read whether folks would run in "the enemy's" race, not who or what the particular enemy might be.)
                      Apparently I'm the only one who noticed that rather wise suggestion from the original poster? Or could you just not help yourself?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

I agree with most, I would not run in a race that supported something I was opposed to. If however it was just that I did not personally support the charity, then I would probably still run in it. There are quite a few charitys that I might not give money to, but am not necessarily opposed to the work that they do.

ultramarathon/triathlete

If I REALLY wanted to run the race, but did not believe in the cause, I might consider running it and donating the exact same amount of money to a cause that is on the opposite side. So, if it was for a race that supported, I don't know, Killing the Whales, I'd donate the same amount of money to a Save the Whales fund. But then again, at that point, maybe I'd just decide it would be easier to just run the same distance in a park that day, and wait for the next weekend for a different race.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

C-R

Apparently I'm the only one who noticed that rather wise suggestion from the original poster? Or could you just not help yourself?
                            The beauty of a great topic. No one can resist. Vegas had the over under at 5 posts. Now back to the question at hand. Wouldn't run it and wouldn't bandit. Why not bandit? Now I'm running with people supporting a cause I can't/won't. So even in I'm a rebel and take resources away, I'm hanging with the very crowd I wish not to be associated. Only works if you're in the CIA or SO and that's certainly not me. Lots of other runs with environments more positive - IMHO.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

If I REALLY wanted to run the race, but did not believe in the cause, I might consider running it and donating the exact same amount of money to a cause that is on the opposite side. So, if it was for a race that supported, I don't know, Killing the Whales, I'd donate the same amount of money to a Save the Whales fund. But then again, at that point, maybe I'd just decide it would be easier to just run the same distance in a park that day, and wait for the next weekend for a different race.
                              Great answer. I "hmm'd" and laughed out-loud at the same time. Yay! Now I can run the "Stop World Peace 5K" as long as I equally donate to a worthy opposing charity. Big grin

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

If it was a cause I did not support, I would run it backwards.