improving form (Read 660 times)

I have been on a quest to improve my running form. Most of what I have tried has been crap... just made me hurt in new places Smile But I think I have found something that works. I imagine a string attached to the middle of my ribcage and is pulling my ribcage straight up. If I want to accelerate I imagine the string slightly pulling me slightly forward. This for some reason pulls my entire body into alignment. Other people talk about "running tall" Thinking about and visualizing running tall did nothing for me. I guess the string thing is my own version Smile
      I imagine a string attached to the middle of my ribcage and is pulling my ribcage straight up. If I want to accelerate I imagine the string slightly pulling me slightly forward.
      I've read something similar somewhere... possbly Galloway? Anyway, he said to imagine being pulled along by a string with one end attached to your chest and the other end attached to the third story of a building a block away. He also says (and this is definitely Galloway), rather than trying to focus on all of the tiny details of form while running, to just remember the acronym CHiP: chest up, hips forward, push off strongly with the ball of your foot. I maintain that he was just looking for a way to pay tribute to Eric Estrada.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I have to almost imagine it straight up... If I think of it as pulling me to forward that messes things up for me... Now I just need to figure out how to stop dragging my feet. I just tell people that I have a very compact gait! LOL
        DoppleBock

Your suppose to push off and not just shuffle fast, Hmmm, no wonder I'm so slow Big grin

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

My method is to make sure that my plane of vision is parallel to the surface on which I am running, I'm looking far into the distance, and I have to glance downward with my eyes to check the surface on which I am running. If I catch myself looking at the road 20 or 200 yards ahead of me, then I know that I am slouching and not "running tall". That sometimes happens when I am getting tired late in a race or a long run.
            xor

Hold on. If you are watching the road 200 YARDS in front of you, you might be slouching? Two football fields?

#artbydmcbride

I think you are supposed to slightly leneforward

Runners run

speaking of which... I really wanna check out my feet while running just make sure they are functioning properly... soon as I look at them though my WHOLE form goes to crap... kinda fustrating Smile

De-slacking in progress

Hold on. If you are watching the road 200 YARDS in front of you, you might be slouching? Two football fields?
                    least he'd be able to see the tree roots before he trips on them Wink RE: http://srlopez-maniac111.blogspot.com/2008/12/12608-sunmart-50-miler.html Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

xor

Hey, if he can spot a tree root from 200 yards, that's pretty bad ass! Smile

Why is it sideways?

The best way to improve your form is to run. A lot.
                          The best way to improve your form is to run. A lot.
                          except when I get fatigued I pick up bad habits

Why is it sideways?

except when I get fatigued I pick up bad habits
                            Exactly. So figure out what you need to do to get to the place where you can run. A lot. After you get there you can worry about form.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I find that my form is better when running with a HR of 145 BMP. At 146, my form goes to pot.

Dave

Trent, you hit the nail on the head exactly. At 145, I have to focus hard on the economy of my stride and efficiency in order to maintain pace at minimal effort. The feedback from the HRM reinforces the need to run efficiently. Inefficiency is punished with an increased HR. At 146, it all goes to hell.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com