Wet damp fog affect you? (Read 612 times)

Doug Little

Yesterday, I ran almost 10 of my 13 miles in a very thick fog and 40 degree temps. At about 10 miles, I really was huffing and puffing. My "Dr' wife said it was because of all the cool/damp air. Thoughts?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Extremes in humidity make my asthma kick-in, even while on Advair 250/50. If it's super humid or super dry I will get short of breath. The humidity is more of an issue if it's also warm, but I could feel it yesterday in similar weather to what you ran in.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I ran my lifetime PR* half marathon in a heavy fog, 35 degrees. My kinda weather, I guess. *I mean, according to mcmillan's running calculator chart, this was the best race of my life of any distance.

#artbydmcbride

I agree, it seems harder to get a full lungful of oxygen with all that moisture in the air. Econo, your lifetime PR must be soft, I bet you blast it on a dry day! Big grin

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Living near the ocean, quite a few of my runs are in heavy fog, especially in the summer when warm moist air hits the cold Maine ocean water -- we get a heavy, hanging fog. Two impacts I experience under these conditions are: when the fog starts condensing on my skin, sweating is less effective -- I ending being hotter and my precieved effort goes way up to maintain pace, and it seems harder to get oxygen out of the air with so much saturated moisture in the air, lungs seem less effective. I usually have more lungs than legs at my easy paces, but in fog these seems to fade away. Plus you have worry about monsters jumping out the woods and killing you in random odd ways, which makes me run tense.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Over here on the west coast, we have to watch out for the occasional cursed bloodthirsty pirate turning up in the fog. But other than that, I love running in the fog -- cool, quiet, peaceful, no one else out. Probably affects people differently depending on what they're used to.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

#artbydmcbride

True! I forgot about the pirates! Shocked

Runners run

Cashmason

I ran my lifetime PR* half marathon in a heavy fog, 35 degrees. My kinda weather, I guess. *I mean, according to mcmillan's running calculator chart, this was the best race of my life of any distance.
                  That is because you live in Oregon, and that the only kind of weather you get, other than rain!
                    heh! yah. Running in fog -- isn't it just high humidity running, but at a lower temperature? hmm

...---...

Over here on the west coast, we have to watch out for the occasional cursed bloodthirsty pirate turning up in the fog. But other than that, I love running in the fog -- cool, quiet, peaceful, no one else out. Probably affects people differently depending on what they're used to.
                      I was under the impression west coast fogs produced zombies.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Zombies! We have 'em in Eugene, too! The city budget is in deficit $8 mil and they have to cut the zombie defense program! Shocked Luckily, my DS has determined that the best place to hang out is in a Bi-Mart or Costco store. Lots of food, few entrances, well fortified. Roll eyes Don't get me started about zombies...