10K under 50 minutes... Please help (Read 324 times)

DaBurger

Let me see if I got this correct; your son improved by running indoors on a treadmill while his peers either didn't improve or regressed because they did less/no training (that is assumed from your "nearly impossible" statement) outside.  I don't see how the comparison is relavant.  When the option is, don't run, or run indoor on a treadmill, then I agree, the treadmill runner will win every time.

Not apples to apples.

Let me see if I got this correct; your son improved by running indoors on a treadmill while his peers either didn't improve or regressed because they did less/no training (that is assumed from your "nearly impossible" statement) outside.  I don't see how the comparison is relavant.  When the option is, don't run, or run indoor on a treadmill, then I agree, the treadmill runner will win every time.

Let me see if I got this correct; your son improved by running indoors on a treadmill while his peers either didn't improve or regressed because they did less/no training (that is assumed from your "nearly impossible" statement) outside. 

your son improved by running indoors on a treadmill 

running indoors on a treadmill

Sounds to me like you're running indoors on a treadmill just like you'd run indoors on a track, or outdoors on roads/trails what have you.

Also, I'll second Spaniel's suggestion to look up and understand what an inertial reference frame is.

Know thyself.

Latent Runner

Right. That's because running on a treadmill is running.

I disagree, it is swinging the legs and arms back and forth while staying in one spot.  Not running, but yes, it is weight bearing exercise.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      bhearn

I think we're done here.

bhearn

duplicate post

MrH

I disagree, it is swinging the legs and arms back and forth while staying in one spot.  Not running, but yes, it is weight bearing exercise.

I think we've found out the source of confusion. You think jogging in place is treadmill running. Didn't anyone tell you that there is a start button to make the treadmill belt move?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

To stay in one place on a surface moving backward requires moving forward!   If that motion is performed with a running gait, it is running!  If you don't move forward, you fall off the back of the treadmill!

I'd agree that there are differences in how a treadmill run feels, but I personally doubt they're greater than the difference between a trail run with a lot of elevation and flat road run or a run around a track.   But no one is going to argue that running on a track isn't running because you can only turn one way

MrH

But no one is going to argue that running on a track isn't running because you can only turn one way

Stop right there. Next you'll be arguing that NASCAR is a motor sport.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

my goodness, I think a prior poster got it right when he said you were SJ reincarnated.

Why is it sideways?

I see what Shipo is saying because a couple of years ago I turned the treadmill around to practice backwards running, but it never translated to being able to run faster backwards in the real world because I could never figure out which way backwards was relative to the ground.

Feeling the growl again

So far at least, nothing in this thread has been fact on either side, just opinion.  

There's simply being wrong, and then there is being belligerently and proudly ignorant.  You are the only one basing their position on opinion; I am basing mine on hard science, the accepted laws of physics.

It today's age, anyone who has shown the proficiency with computers to post on a forum has no excuse to remain willfully ignorant of such a simple concept that can easily be read about.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

This is a prime example of what happens around here, there seems to be a trend of using one piece of data or factoid to prove another; sorry, it doesn't work that way.  All the above linked "scientific" article shows is exercising on a treadmill will burn the same number of calories as running; something I've never argued either way and something which I do not dispute.

So far y'all are 0 for 1 on facts.

Fat old man PRs:

Walk-Jogger

Everything is relative. When I go outside and run, I stay in one place, swinging my arms and legs, and the world turns beneath my feet. From my perspective. Just like on a treadmill.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

This is a prime example of what happens around here, there seems to be a trend of using one piece of data or factoid to prove another; sorry, it doesn't work that way.  All the above linked "scientific" article shows is exercising on a treadmill will burn the same number of calories as running; something I've never argued either way and something which I do not dispute.

If this was what you took from it, your comprehension skills are not up to reasoning with. 

This is where your "logic" begins to break down.  You accept that running on a treadmill and running outdoors will burn the same calories.  Therefore, the same work is being done.  That cannot be said of running in place, or "standing there flapping your arms and legs", as you so put it.

Treadmill running is the exact same motion as any other type of running.  So if the same muscles are being used in the same way, and the same amount of energy being expended, you really have no basis to claim they are different.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Latent Runner

Your words in both quotes.

I say running on roads and trails is not the same as running on a treadmill; you apparently feel otherwise.

I will say this --- I do advise running on varied surfaces (trails are good for this) to engage a broader set of stabilizing muscles that may get weak of one does only treadmill running.  But doing such flat, straight line running on a treadmill is no different than on a similar surface outdoors, like a flat, straight road.

Treadmill running is the exact same motion as any other type of running.  So if the same muscles are being used in the same way, and the same amount of energy being expended, you really have no basis to claim they are different.

Fat old man PRs: