10K under 50 minutes... Please help (Read 324 times)

Feeling the growl again

No, you said running on a treadmill is not actually running.  And you have not provided the evidence requested to support your "facts"...nor any evidence at all beyond your own opinion.  Asked for explaining exactly how it is not "actually running", given admitted equal energy usage and the same motion, you have not answered.

More directly, do you understand the issue of reference frames?  Do you understand that physics dictates that equal energy will be expended to drive a body forward at 8mph relative to the road, as 8mph forward velocity relative to the treadmill belt?  If you understand this, how do you then claim that a treadmill is not running?

Your words in both quotes.

I say running on roads and trails is not the same as running on a treadmill; you apparently feel otherwise.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

We've been down this road (so to speak) before.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/8ec456ef551f4c1cb9d20d9f99a107da#focus

It's kind of getting not so funny anymore. Just painful.

Latent Runner

I have quite clearly stated it is my OPINION that running and exercising on a treadmill are not the same.

As for calorie burn/energy usage, one because they are similar, that does not in any way make the two forms of exercise the same; lots of forms of activity can yield similar energy usage rates.

Question: are you done sniping yet or do you really want to continue this pissing contest?  Personally I don't give a hoot what you think you know or what you believe, I'm just tired of having you crap on many of my well founded opinions just because they don't happen to agree with your opinions.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Feeling the growl again

I'm just tired of having you crap on many of my well founded opinions just because they don't happen to agree with your opinions.

**sigh**.  As bhearn said, this is just painful.  You have opinions, we have been impressing the physical laws of nature upon you to no avail.  You've been asked for data to support your opinions as fact/rules...which you claimed them to be...and don't provide.  Granted we set you up knowing you can't, but even the ostrich man tried.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

No Talent Drips

This can't be good for treadmill sales. Feck.

Dei Gratia

mikeymike

I have quite clearly stated it is my OPINION that running and exercising on a treadmill are not the same.

Depends. If by "exercising" you mean walking at a slow pace, or standing on the stationary belt and doing some light stretching, or using the hand rails to do dips, etc., then you are correct--they are not the same.

But running a 7 minute mile on a moving treadmill belt is quite obviously running.

Runners run

Shipo,, the folks posting in this thread are very experienced runners who have successfully helped many runners including me over the years. They know what they are saying and actually practice what they say, and have been successful using their training methods.  So if your opinion is different than most others, then guess who might be wrong.

Could the reason you might be contradicted on your posts often, be that you are wrong? How many of the beginner athletes you coach can run 10-12k a pop running 3-4 days a week and are successful? There are many here who run 5,6,7 days a week but run short, long and medium length runs and have had good results without burn out. Many use the treadmill as a very useful tool for run training and yet you say it's not running, just because you think so despite evidence to the contrary.  No one is claiming treadmill running only is the way to go, but it's still running. Just as trail running is not the same as road running and is different than running on a track, yet it's all running and useful in developing a well rounded runner.

This is much more fun debate than the Florida governor character debate on TV, Charlie Crist vs Rick Scott.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Baboon

delicate flower

I read shipo's posts with my mouth agape and eyes squinting.

<3

FSBD

This can't be good for treadmill sales. Feck.

I want my money back.  I was planning on running on your product. Now that I have learned that it is not actually running that I would be doing there really is no point in having it.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Feeling the growl again

Can we move on to debate my opinions that the Earth is round and travels around the Sun?  This particular horse is getting kind of ripe to me.

Latent Runner

Well what can I say, the piling on has now developed a life of its own and everyone here knows I'm an idiot.

The thing is, I'll keep succeeding in the races I run and so to will those I coach.  The proof's in the pudding so I'll see y'all at the finish line.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                          • 2-mile: 13:49
                          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                          • 5-Mile: 37:24
                          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                          mikeymike

The thing is, I'll keep succeeding in the races I run and so to will those I coach.  The proof's in the pudding so I'll see y'all at the finish line.

It's actually getting a bit weird how much you sound like sport jester now.

Have you considered the possibility that this "piling on" may be a reaction to your general style on these boards? I mean it's just a thought. It's great that you've rediscovered running as a (in your words) fat old man, and I'm glad you're having success as you define it, but maybe your one size fits all approach to every question on this board rubs people the wrong way? Something to consider.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Still waiting for the Navy Seals.

Joann Y

Hmmm. Wonder who the two are that voted no in this poll.... (scratching head)