10K under 50 minutes... Please help (Read 324 times)

Kalsarikännit

This can't be good for treadmill sales. Feck.

Sucka.  You should have tried selling something useful.

Since we all now agree that a treadmill does not have anything to do with running, and common sense tells us that running outside in winter, on ice, is dangerous, possibly resulting in falls with disasterous consequences like a fractured hamstring, I'd like to offer a revolutionary piece of exercise equipment that you can use in the comfort and safety of your own home. Horse Riding Fitness Ace Power! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8MzzLsJEzR8

(skip to 30 seconds in)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Joann Y

Sucka.  You should have tried selling something useful.

Since we all now agree that a treadmill does not have anything to do with running, and common sense tells us that running outside in winter, on ice, is dangerous, possibly resulting in falls with disasterous consequences like a fractured hamstring, I'd like to offer a revolutionary piece of exercise equipment that you can use in the comfort and safety of your own home. Horse Riding Fitness Ace Power! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8MzzLsJEzR8

(skip to 30 seconds in)

Wow. and wow.

Still waiting for the Navy Seals.

I think they're busy peeling all the masking tape off the ostriches.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wow. and wow.

It help device to fitness you up!

I'm totally getting one of those to install on my treadmill! Since whatever I do on it isn't running.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Just wanted to pop in and announce that I've just returned from a great session of swinging my arms back and forth while remaining in one spot!

xhristopher

I'm a bit late to the lively debate and am looking forward to reading it's twists and turns over lunch!

I have quite clearly stated it is my OPINION that running and exercising on a treadmill are not the same.

Here I have to agree with you. When I ride my bike on my treadmill it is simply "exercise." I wouldn't want anyone to mistake it for running or even bike riding.

Might I also add that when I'm drinking beer out of a coke can in public spaces I'm drinking coke, not beer. Never mind the substance of what's in the can and what it does to me. It's coke ossifer!! I'm not drunk. That's just how I get with a little caffeine in my bloodstream.

DavePNW

Just wanted to pop in and announce that I've just returned from a great session of swinging my arms back and forth while remaining in one spot!

You might like to try running then! I hear it's a similar form of exercise.

Dave

rmcj001

Well, to be fair no one has explained to shipo why he is wrong.  I see a lot of snide comments and no explaining.  So, let me give it a try and you can all jump on me.  All motion is relative (that word again) to something, which means that if two objects are moving at the same speed and direction they are motionless to each other.  An example, you're driving and the wallet on the seat next to you doesn't move compared to you the driver (hopefully we can all agree on this).  When running, we move with respect to the ground.  But, you say, when you're on the treadmill the belt moves and the ground doesn't.  Well, the truth is they are both moving.  We don't perceive the earth's rotation because we are moving with it at the same speed (~1000 mph).  Think about it this way, if the treadmill is infinitely long and you are on it standing still, you don't move with respect to the belt, but you are moving with respect to anything not on the treadmill.  If you jump up and down on the treadmill you land in the same spot that you jumped from on the treadmill. This is exactly like jumping up and down off the treadmill. If you think about it, the earth is one giant treadmill.  Is there a difference between running on a treadmill and running on a track?  Indoor track and outdoor track?  Track and road? Road and trail?  Trail and bush wacking?  Sure, none are the same.  That doesn't mean you aren't "running".

Ray

Why is it sideways?

If you think about it, the earth is one giant treadmill. 

I followed your reasoning, but came to the opposite conclusion: that the treadmill is one tiny, tiny earth.

bhearn

Well, to be fair no one has explained to shipo why he is wrong.  I see a lot of snide comments and no explaining. 

Spaniel and I have each mentioned inertial frames, Galilean relativity, etc. several times, and provided links. And I tried to be very clear about the confusion between "treadmill training isn't as good as road/trail training" and "treadmill training isn't running" here:

Just to make it crystal-clear what we are arguing about here, there are really two positions you are taking. One of them -- that treadmill training is inferior to road/trail training -- is subject to debate and empirical evidence. ...

But the second thing you are saying, that treadmill running is inherently different because you are not moving, is not subject to debate. That's what we are all making fun of you for. You might want to read up on a little thing called Galilean relativity.

But perhaps having it spelled out in more detail, as you have done, will help. I doubt it.

bhearn

I had to settle for a simulated session of swinging my arms back and forth while remaining in one spot. I know trail running isn't really the same, because you're moving, but at least it is a similar kind of exercise, maybe the next best thing.

Joann Y

1. Running is that of which there is no part.

2. A run is a widthless length.

3. A run begins and ends with running.

4. A straight up run is one which lies evenly with the running on itself.

5. A treadmill is that which has only length and width.

6. The ends of the treadmill are where running lies.

In summary, running has no point.

bhearn

Thank you, Euclid!

Joann Y

Hey, you're welcome man. Whatever I can do!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

1. Running is that of which there is no part.

2. A run is a widthless length.

3. A run begins and ends with running.

4. A straight up run is one which lies evenly with the running on itself.

5. A treadmill is that which has only length and width.

6. The ends of the treadmill are where running lies.

In summary, running has no point.

This is profound.  I think.