Sleep and marathon training (Read 694 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Am I the only one who feels like 9-10 hours/night sounds about right? Too bad I usually only manage 7-8. Sleepy Last night I got 9 and I am still wiped-out. 3 weeks until taper, baby...woot! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Old, Slow, Happy

I have sleep apnea and would kill for 8 hours of good, restful sleep. It might not be the quantity of your sleep but the quality. Before I had my CPAP mask, I could sleep for 10 hours and never feel rested. I'm not saying you have apnea (although some women do). It's just that if you can't get the deep REM sleep, you won't feel rested. If it becomes a big issue, you should see a doctor that specializes in sleep problems. Your marathon training seems to be going nicely now. I'm impressed that you have a plan and are implementing it. You give me hope for my own marathon sometime soon. Good Job!! Keep It Up!!!!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't think I have apnea, but I am a pretty shallow sleeper and DH has a tendency to snore and stick his elbows in my space. My best sleep is always after DH is up and out of bed...I can see why my grandparents had separate beds, sometimes. I always sleep better by myself. I think the last week when the weather was warmer and more humid may have been a factor, too. It was stuffy in our room. Cool enough at night that the window A/C unit wouldn't kick-on, but too warm to not have it running. I think last week's poor sleep may just be catching up with me this week. Last night I really slept well, but it's like I still have a deficit.

~ Sarah Kay

Old, Slow, Happy

It's hard to catch up on sleep. The temp in the room also has a great influence. As do all the other things you mentioned. My wife offered to sleep in another room because of my snoring. That's when I got on the ball and saw the sleep doc. Men (at least me) don't like their wives sleeping anywhere other than in bed with them. I hope you start sleeping better. You could watch the Democratic Convention. That political stuff will put anyone to sleep.

A Saucy Wench

I would kill for 7-8 hours. that sounds soooo good. I want last weekend when I was on freaky sleep mode back.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marathon training is definitely making me want to sleep a lot more. Normally I don't sleep very well or much - I probably get about 5 hours on average - but right now I just want to sleep all the time. Mmmm a nap sounds good right now...

The Greatest of All Time

I get 6 maybe.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                C-R

Between 6 and 7 for me. I was told once that sleep was over rated and you could have all of it you need once you died. Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mikeymike

I get what I get. Then I get up and run.

Runners run

ud32

I do not work for this company or anything - but try www.powernap.com - great inexpensive way to get in a quick quality nap.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do not work for this company or anything - but try www.powernap.com - great inexpensive way to get in a quick quality nap.
                        How many snakes had to be sacrificed in the production of that device...? Confused

~ Sarah Kay

I try to get at least 7 hours. Doesn't always work out that way. If I am lucky, I can often grab a 20 min. nap on the train into the city.

Go Pre!

6 hours, solid, every night. I am a night owl. Before I ran regularly I slept even less. I try to go to bed earlier now, with hopes it will make training go better, but my body doesn't want to and I just toss and turn. No complaints though, I feel great, never tired.

Prince of Fatness

I have found that I sleep better when I am running regularly ...... unless I am over training. Tossing and turning with jumpy legs is one of the first over training alarms that goes off for me.

Not at it at all. 

Mishka-old log

I get what I get. Then I get up and run.
                                I'm beginning to identify with this more than I want. Probably 6 on average, but it's rarely a solid 6 and too often a broken-up 5. I honestly don't know what would be ideal. I know many of the elites get that 8 and then some...often taking naps during the day, but hey, running is their job. But Zoomy, if you feel like 9-10 sounds right, you're probably not that dissimilar from the elites in that respect.