Do you want Garmin Connect API integration for RunningAhead? (Read 1006 times)

BeeRunB

Update: The Developer Program Manager at Garmin took offense of my frustration with their license agreement and apparently is refusing to talk to me, even though she recognizes my frustration and understands my concerns.  I don't know why she is front person in the  negotiations on a legal contract.  Wouldn't the legal department be better at addressing my concerns?

I am mulling over my options.  I will reach out to her again.  One possible option would be to invest the license fee into creating a standalone app to download workouts directly from the GPS.  Feel free to add your thoughts here.

eric Smile

Don't sign something you're not legally comfortable with. If there is a clause in the contract that says they can hurt you, but they're saying verbally "but we'll never do that---trust us".  Trust what you read in the contract, not what they say. They don't have your best interest in mind at all, only theirs.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I am mulling over my options.  I will reach out to her again.  One possible option would be to invest the license fee into creating a standalone app to download workouts directly from the GPS.  Feel free to add your thoughts here.

Sorry for your frustrations, Eric.

Not sure what you have in mind for downloading directly from the watch.  It sounds like you might drown in supporting all the variants.  Or maybe the Ant+ protocol makes that easy.

Until I'm forced to upgrade my garmin, whatever solution you come up with that pulls from my FR610 and puts it into RA is fine with me -- though I dream of a Linux compatible client, I won't hold my breath.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

eric :)

If there is a clause in the contract that says they can hurt you, but they're saying verbally "but we'll never do that---trust us".

That is exactly what is happening.  I objected to Garmin can terminate the license at any time for any or no reason.  She understood my concern and then said Garmin has no intention of doing that.  I asked her to put that in writing since that's what the contract is for.  She responded by saying it is non-negotiable.  After several rounds of pleading, I expressed my frustration and pointed out that Garmin was being "dishonest and unfair", but will accept those terms.  She took offense and appeared to have terminated the negotiation.

I think Garmin filled out the wrong license agreement template when they created this license.  If you remove references to the name of the service, what remains is a license meant for a free service.  It would explain why it allows Garmin to terminate the service at any time; the mention of possible future fees; the $5,000 appears as an exhibit at the end of the contract; and no clear description of what Garmin is delivering in exchange for the $5,000.

I've been burnt before (Running Wizard) for not having a proper license agreement and I don't want it to happen again.  If this is what I'm experiencing now, what would happen after I handed over the money?

Maybe you should reach out to this guy.  http://www.garmin.com/en-US/company/leadership/andrew-etkind/

I almost took a job in the Garmin legal department about 8 years ago.  I could have helped!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'd also just like to mention that I loathe the idea of sending my data to Garmin just to send it to RA.  I'd rather Garmin not have it at all, because in comparison to RA their logging tools suck (not to mention the UI is bloated).  So, I'd much favor a Watch->RA client.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Slo

I'd also just like to mention that I loathe the idea of sending my data to Garmin just to send it to RA.  I'd rather Garmin not have it at all, because in comparison to RA their logging tools suck (not to mention the UI is bloated).  So, I'd much favor a Watch->RA client.

+1

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Don't sign something you're not legally comfortable with. If there is a clause in the contract that says they can hurt you, but they're saying verbally "but we'll never do that---trust us".  Trust what you read in the contract, not what they say. They don't have your best interest in mind at all, only theirs.

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

mikeymike

I don't know why she is front person in the  negotiations on a legal contract.  Wouldn't the legal department be better at addressing my concerns?

Because she actually cares about developer partners' interests. Ive walkyd mIles in her shoes. Garmin legal only cares about Garmin's interests and will only deviate from their standard contract terms when overruled by the business. You probably don't want to talk directly to legal. It would only frustrate you more.

Runners run

mikeymike

And yeah ideally an app that auto detects the watch and pushes our data straight to RA is ideal for a bunch of reasons. It's just that since you have no control over the hardware and would have to endlessly keep up with device drivers and operating systems and whatnot, it's hard to imagine that being the lower cost, lower risk option.

Whatever you decide I'm an RA lifer. I'm not going anywhere. Keep on fighting the good fight.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Whatever you decide I'm an RA lifer. I'm not going anywhere. Keep on fighting the good fight.

+1.  And I also wish Garmin had some legitimate competition so that they'd stop behaving like such a monopoly.  It's a lot like what we've dealt with with Charter Communications for high-speed ISP, in our area.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

Here for the remainder of life's home stretch and into the afterlife---where I hear you'll be calling it AstrallyProjectingAhead.bardos

Keep going, Eric.

DavePNW

Of course, I'm currently downloading (importing) .fit files directly from my Garmin 220. 

+1. This is about as easy as it gets. Also avoids installing anything from Garmin on your computer, as well as avoiding the need to create a Garmin account.

Dave

I agree, don't sign something you're not totally comfortable with.

runjoelrun

Of course, I'm currently downloading (importing) .fit files directly from my Garmin 220. 

+1. This is about as easy as it gets. Also avoids installing anything from Garmin on your computer, as well as avoiding the need to create a Garmin account.

Nice. Didn't even think of this. I'm going to start doing this immediately.

mikeymike

Yes, I've been doing the "Upload From File" option and pulling the workouts straight from my 220 to RA and it works great. I'm actually fine with this as a permanent solution although it only works for those of use with models that can be mounted as a USB drive.

I would, however like to make one feature request related to this: the "Replace Elevation" data or whatever that check box is. If I had that, I'd be set.

Runners run