50 MPW is too many??? (Read 1225 times)

Old, Slow, Happy

I went to the running shop last night. When the clerk asked what she could do for me, I said "Fix my runners knee." She analyzed my feet and the wear pattern on my old shoes. She said I was in the correct shoes and my wear pattern was very good. She did measure my feet and reccommend another 1/2 size larger. She asked how much I run. I said I try to get in 50 MPW. She said the human body is not made to run 50 mpw week in and week out. She told me that 25 is the correct number. I should only do 50 when I'm training for a race. Her statement was, "If you do 50 miles week after week, you will get runners knee and other injuries." I have been running 45 - 50 miles every week for about 2 1/2 years except when I have an injury. What do you think? Is 50 mpw too many to do regularly? I'll appreciate any responses, constructive or otherwise.

Think Whirled Peas

No.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Prince of Fatness

She said the human body is not made to run 50 mpw week in and week out.
        Based solely on my own experience, I have to call BS on this one. I have had my share of injuries, but I refuse to blame them on the miles. For me it's always been from not being careful when adding the high intensity stuff. Others may have a different opinion.

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

Is this a trick question?

Runners run

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I predict a lot of people responding to this with things like "BS", "No", "She's full of crap" and similar sentiments. I predict that everyone who responds as such is correct. The Amazing Kresgin has spoken. More = better assuming there are no oddities that preclude that.
            theyapper

On the road again...

Maybe she meant 50 MEALS per week??

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I have been running 45 - 50 miles every week for about 2 1/2 years except when I have an injury. What do you think? Is 50 mpw too many to do regularly? I'll appreciate any responses, constructive or otherwise.
                I took me over 2 years of 85-120 miles per week before I got any over use injuries, and those were probably because I was doing 2 track workouts, 1-2 speed workouts on roads, and a race every week when I was running those 100 miles. 50 miles is a nice number to work up to; I've been doing that for a while now most weeks. When I graduated college, any time I got over 50 miles more than a few weeks in a row I'd start getting injuries coming on. The past year or so, I've slowed down the majority of my miles, gotten as many in on trails as I could, and have been running more miles, faster races, and injury free as a result.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The clerk is obviously correct and the first three responses are just the product of East Coast bias. As scientific proof take a quick peak at their logs and you'll see those three goofballs have run over 50 miles per week in their training and what was the result? In races their knees can't stand the pounding so they are forced to run faster and not enjoy the scenery as much. It's actually quite sad. If Q would run slower he'd notice more things and write better race reports.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah. That sounds like an effective shoe sales strategy.

Why is it sideways?

I agree with Lank.
                      Purdey

Self anointed title

I agree with her. 50 miles per day is more than most can handle without getting injured. You should probably not run this much on a regular basis. Oh wait. 50 miles per week? I don't think she can be a runner.... or a particularly good saleswoman!

Since I have never run 50 miles in one week, my answer has to be properly qualified......BUT, I believe that if you work your way carefully up to 50 MPW using normal precautions, that it's a number of miles that most people can run (I hope so because Im working my way up there). I just dont buy that 50 is to many for a properly trained and seasoned runner that knows what he/she is doing...... Chances are that someone she knows (that actually runs) said that to her, so now she figures its The Word From The "Running Gods'. It might do you some good to cut back for a week or two just see if you can heal up a little, but I know that I never pay too much attention to what the clerks in the running shoes stores think...cause deep down inside, I dont think they know what they are doing most of the time........There are the occassional serious runner that also works in these stores that give good advice, but normally its someone that doesn't know much...so take what they say with a grain of salt...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Mishka-old log

It wasn't Dave's in Delta, was it?
                              Everyone is different. Is 50 MPW too much if you have trained correctly for it, run with good form, and are otherwise healthy? Probably not. Is everyone capable of running 50 MPW week in and week out with their current form? Probably not. Could someone running with perfect form 50 MPW break down anyway? Probably. I don't think she can possibly tell you that running 50 MPW itself is the source of your troubles. Equally, I don't know that anyone here can possibly tell you that you -can- run 50 MPW all the time and be fine. There just isn't a single absolute truth to be revealed here. The fact that you are developing an overuse injury that is often brought about by bad form or bad shoes, and that you've been fitted multiple times into the shoe, would lead one to believe that you need to do something to your form, either via stretching or strengthening to eliminate some imbalance that is leading to your problem. Whether you can do so while continuing your current workload, or need to reduce is a question you'll have to determine on your own. It is fair to say that if you are having issues, something needs to change or the issue isn't going to go away. You'll have to determine whether that means subtracting miles, adding stretches, adding strengthening, or something else.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's actually quite sad. If Q would run slower he'd notice more things and write better race reports.
                                He needs to run more Winter trail races in deep snow without snowshoes. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay