LA Marathon - a tragedy on the horizon? (Read 1165 times)

MrH

The LA Marathon has been moved from the first Sunday in March to Memorial Day. http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-catania1-2009mar01,0,4746211.story Thousands of novices running a marathon in LA at the end of May? Roll eyes

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

They better start trucking the water in now. I wonder what the REAL reason behind the change is.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Jazz hands!

They better start trucking the water in now. I wonder what the REAL reason behind the change is.
          The LA marathon keeps getting bought and sold and the date changes every time. Last year I think it was on Presidents' Day (in Feb) which is a perfectly acceptable time to have a marathon in LA. Memorial Day is going to be sheer, smoggy, overheating hell.
          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
            Perhaps the churches that complained could have a moment of silence this weekend for the soon to be dead runners. Or perhaps they could add about 10 of those coolmist sprayers every 1/4 mile along the course. 1,000 sprayers? That should only add about a half-million dollars to the cost of the race.

#artbydmcbride

LA marathon ownership changed last fall, and the City Council mandated to the new owners to move the race to a Monday holiday. They first rescheduled it from early march to President's Day, then logistically couldn't make that work in time, so they rescheduled it to Memorial Day. Big grin It may become a legendary day for marathoning, I am very tempted.....

Runners run

ilene, we need your reportage on the carnage! Richard63 -- just want to give you a tip of the hat on a really great thread title. Big grin
                  And the Walt Disney World Marathon will be moved to the 4th of July.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Ive never been to LA, but would guess that it'd be hot on Memorial Day. Ugh.

TRUST THE PROCESS

a marathon in LA. Memorial Day is going to be sheer, smoggy, overheating hell.
                      Artists rendition:

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The LA Marathon has been moved from the first Sunday in March to Memorial Day. http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-catania1-2009mar01,0,4746211.story Thousands of novices running a marathon in LA at the end of May? Roll eyes
                        Terrible.
                        xor

LA marathon ownership changed last fall, and the City Council mandated to the new owners to move the race to a Monday holiday. They first rescheduled it from early march to President's Day, then logistically couldn't make that work in time, so they rescheduled it to Memorial Day. Big grin It may become a legendary day for marathoning, I am very tempted.....
                          And oh man, those who had made travel plans are PISSED that they moved this race not once, but twice. They are at least going to start it earlier than it had been, correct? (not that this will really help) As for tragedy, the spectre of hot mainland races always make me chuckle a little bit. We run marathons in Hawai'i all year long and they are ALL in 75-95 degree heat with 200% humidity. And while the fast folks are usually the island folks, by far most runners are newbies from the mainland and the slower folks from Japan (in Japan, many of the marathons have much more aggressive cut-off times than we do). And while health issues have been known to happen at every race, it isn't like people are passed out all along the course. The difference is that people expect to be slow and enjoy the sights. But in a mainland race, even when folks know far ahead of time that it's going to be hot, it's different for some reason. The LA heat would be an attractor for me. But I'm not racing that weekend.

jules2

Just depends how many lives you've got left Ilene but we do need a RA representative there to give us a report. If you all want to donate to my expenses via paypal I would be more than happy to go.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

#artbydmcbride

Airline fares are very low right now, you can find amazing deals! Come on out Jules2, and bring the budgies for some beach weather.

Runners run

xor

And now, a pair of Keats.