Dog attack while out running (Read 1245 times)

Running on the ocean

A more serious topic is how to protect against dog attacks while out running. I myself have been twice in such a situation. Once I was out running early in the morning while suddenly a big dog came running behind me. I turned around, saw no owner and kind of froze not knowing what to do. Luckily the dog was friendly and just wanted to join me for a bit. Another time I was running out late evening when suddenly a black big dog came running and barking towards me. He looked very angry showing his teeth and there was no question that he'll attack me. In a pathetic attempt to protect myself I held my running bottle up in the air ready to try hitting his nose. I was sure scared. Luckily, just a few feets in front of me he changed his mind turned around and ran away. I called animal control and they came by trying to find that dog. I’m not sure if they did. Does anybody have any ideas how we runners can protect against attacking dogs? Is it worth carrying pepper spray all the time? Did anybody else experience such attacks?

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
    -- Jakob Herrmann
    my running achievements

Running on the ocean

Interestingly enough, I've searched for the keyword "dog" and didn't get any matches...

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
      -- Jakob Herrmann
      my running achievements

Lazy idiot

Same here, ultra. It seems that some one-word searches return nothing. But if you add in a little more detail (more words), you get results. It took me a few tries to get this one figured out. Big grin

Tick tock

JakeKnight

Try "dogs." You'll get 11 pages worth. Apparently there's never just one dog in these stories. A couple more: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/5158c9f9f3f84ad6a7ae5cfbf6a052d1#focus http://runningahead.com/forums/post/93d4feab10ca4cd79fe78da371a60af9#focus

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

I've had almost those same exact experiences several times. It makes me so mad that people won't contain their dogs, especially in residential areas. If I'm out in the country biking, I take pepper spray and expect to run into stray/unfenced dogs, but I seem to have more incidents with them when I'm running sidewalks in populated neighborhoods. I had a yellow lab almost back me into traffic the other day (first unfriendly Lab i have ever seen)...luckily there was a break in the traffic, and I was able to run across the street real quick, and he didn't follow. I don't even want to pepper spray these dogs....I'd way rather pepper spray the owner who won't take responsibility for his pet. It's reallly not the dog's fault that he wants to protect his turf. What else can you do though.

Running on the ocean

Some forum have a minimum search word length rule of 4 characters. I think that's the same here. Just wished they would say so if somebody enters 3 or less characters.

-- Jakob Herrmann
              my running achievements

Pepper spray does not work. I had two dogs that came after me and my dd one day (they had seemed aggressive before so I started carrying pepper spray.) and the pepper spray did NOTHING to them- we had to kick them away from us and run home.

Feeling the growl again

99.9% of dogs are all show no matter how aggressive they act. If they run at you, turn and face them, stand tall, yell menacingly, and move towards them. Most will stop immediately, even back up, even if they continue the aggressive behavior. Walk your way out of their territory without letting your guard down. I typically cover 3000-4000 miles per year and have never been bitten. There are the occasional exceptions to the rule....a couple Rottweilers and a pit bull come to mind. I'm not sure how I escaped those situations, I just never looked quite "prey" enough I guess, and made it clear I was going to exit their territory and not go further into it. That being said, in addition to those 3 encounters with large dogs I've kicked/punched/stoned at least a dozen more smaller ones that had no other thought than to go straight for my lower legs with teeth bared. There's no perfect solution, but showing any fear or meekness is the worst you can do.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Fool

Maybe we should post on dog forums complaining about how we have to chain up our dogs to stop runners from shooting them... make it seem like an epidemic. I bet leash sales would go up... Evil grin
                    BaldMike

I am no expert, I own a dog, have read about their behavior a lot, but still I am no expert. What has worked for me, is to yell very loud, "Stay" or "no" or "Sit" or what ever the heck like that comes to mind at the moment. Try, try, try to stay calm and confident. Try not to show fear or think fear. Also, not sure about others, but I never stop moving. I keep headed in the direction I was going.
                      PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.
                      JakeKnight

99.9% of dogs are all show no matter how aggressive they act. If they run at you, turn and face them, stand tall, yell menacingly, and move towards them. Most will stop immediately, even back up, even if they continue the aggressive behavior. Walk your way out of their territory without letting your guard down.
                        What he said. Exactly. Just don't run away. Dogs will reflexively attack if you act like prey. I've only truly been attacked the one time I ignored this wisdom. Fortunately, it was a Yorkie. Somehow I survived.
                        Also, not sure about others, but I never stop moving. I keep headed in the direction I was going.
                        As I just said above, I don't think that's such a good idea. Everything I've read - and my own experience - backs up Spaniel's comments. Dogs are predators. Their instincts can be triggered if they think you're fleeing prey. I stop. Turn and face them. Act mean. And then slowly walk away, still facing the dog. It seems to work. This site sums it up pretty well: http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/5-30-2006-97772.asp

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Oh Mighty Wing

So i was out on a run with my dog nervous friend two big dogs came running at us. They were fine with me, but growled at her because they sensed her fear even though she tried not to show it. I stopped turned and told them to go home. The backed off and stood to watch us. I told Tanna to stay next to me and we continued our run. I know what the answer is and that is you must show your dominance. That does not mean yelling at the dog. It means mustering your most serious knock-it-the-f-off voice (otherwise known as the mom voice - or the teacher voice). If you act as alpha (or dominant dog) the dog will stop. It is not going to suddenly be a happy dog, but it will stop. If and when you turn to continue your run you must do so with a large and in charge attitude. If you turn and breathe a sigh of relief you might as well just tell the dog to bite you. You must be in command at all moments. You must be the alpha dog. The question is can you do this while scared - the answer is no. If you have any doubt or fear in your mind that dog will immediately know it and know you do not mean business. So you either need to figure out how to get over your fear or carry a big bat. ** Note: while my manly dog in my avatar is very scary (yes he's full grown) this is not where I get my knowledge on the subject. My father worked training German Shepard's in the sport of Schutzhund for many years. I spent alot of time with big dogs who are trained only to do 3 things: track, bite, and listen to their alpha dog (or person). **
                            This is one problem that really sets me off. Not only are stray or unchained dogs the problem. My 14 year old daughter and I were running last summer and we came up behind an older man walking a large lab, on a leash btw. The dog went nuts as we passed on the oposite side of the road and knocked the man to the ground and bit my daughter in the leg. I then comenced pounding on this dog. It's amazing what one can do when placed in an adrenaline rage. I picked up the dog by the collar and threw it down on the road. It then ran down the street. The man was hurt, I was bit in the foreare, and my daughter has puncture wounds in her thigh. After emergency and verification of rabies vaccinations. The dog was put down. I am feeling the fear and rage while writing this. It's amazing, my daughter and I still have nightmares. Needless to say, when we see a large dog on the road we run the other direction.
                            http://www.deardick.com

Runner

I got taken down while on a bike once going 20 mph it literally knocked the bike out from under me trying to bite me. It ran off and the owner actually had the nerve to blame cyclists for "teasing" his dog. It was left to roam free, and I then learned from other club members that this was not an isolated event. The police were called and i Had my bike shorts/jersey/helmet/glasses/ medical bills all paid for. I then heard that a month later the same dog attacked another cyclist. The police were again called and the dog attacked the police officer when he came and attempted to catch the dog. The dog was shot and killed by the officer. The worst part was that it was in an area that had no leash laws, and it was a beautiful riding area I couldn't bring myself to go back to. While running I don't have quite so much fear of them though a friend of mine knew a woman who was attacked by a pack of wild dogs and killed. It is scary and as some already have stated pepper spray doesn't always work.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler