Things I don't normally like to admit... (Read 2078 times)

First, my Manilow song is "Looks Like We Made It." I just like that song. (Back in the day, I hung out in a tiny Japanese bar called "Lee's" where the owner would put on Barry Manilow and fifty or sixty drunken Marines would belt out the words to "Mandy" every night. Kind of a sick tradition, but fun). Second, I've never run more than about 25 miles per week, so the cotton socks are hanging in there. Thanks for the fun responses.
    Do bears bear? Do bees be?
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

10. When I see a runner "kick" hard at the end of a race, I quietly tell myself he didn't run hard enough in the first place.
      When I'm busy passing someone who has no kick at the end of a race , I quietly tell myself that they just don't have the guts to dig deep. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I'm busy passing someone who has no kick at the end of a race , I quietly tell myself that they just don't have the guts to dig deep. Tongue
        *nods* I also figure they don't have a sprinting background.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Sure. But he's got a point. And he's not talking about people like you. I've watched people run 32:00 5-ks and yet somehow manage to do the final 200 meters in about 30 seconds. And these people are almost always overweight middle-aged white guys. I assume sooner or later I'll get to see one of them receiving CPR at the finish line. I'm not sure they're exactly "digging deep" as they sprint past ladies with strollers and elbow grandma out of the way.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

1) I don't own an ipod. 2) I prefer to run by myself so I don't have to talk or fit in with someone else's pace. 3) I put Johnson's baby powder on my feet before I put my socks on. 4) In my first 10k race there was chain link fencing forming the sides of the chute- I used it to hold myself up, then tried to pretend I was "stretching". 5) I have a Garmin but can only use the basic functions. 6) I am secretly competitive about running; I am happy if my race entrance fee helps raise money for charity, but all I really want to do is beat people, especially "jock" types half my age. (Sorry about that, I know its not very nice.) Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've watched people run 32:00 5-ks and yet somehow manage to do the final 200 meters in about 30 seconds. And these people are almost always overweight middle-aged white guys. I assume sooner or later I'll get to see one of them receiving CPR at the finish line. I'm not sure they're exactly "digging deep" as they sprint past ladies with strollers and elbow grandma out of the way.
              Yeah, that's digging deep in the George Costanza-running-out-of-the-burning-house-during-the-birthday-party sense.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Sure. But he's got a point. And he's not talking about people like you. I've watched people run 32:00 5-ks and yet somehow manage to do the final 200 meters in about 30 seconds. And these people are almost always overweight middle-aged white guys. I assume sooner or later I'll get to see one of them receiving CPR at the finish line. I'm not sure they're exactly "digging deep" as they sprint past ladies with strollers and elbow grandma out of the way.
                nah..he is talking about people like me....white, middle-aged...fat...who is running his first 5K in two years and will probably WALK part of it AND sprint at the end...WTH...might as well go out with a blown artery rather than die of terminal snobbery..... Tongue (although I did WIN my division in the last race.....only had to beat the other overweight middle aged white guy....)
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Elitist prick.
                    I hate admitting that I dread spring/summer becasue of the deer fly/horse fly situation. When one starts orbitng my head, I turn into a freak. If anyone saw me, I would be very ashamed. I fear the deer fly, like no other.

- Anya

HOSS1961

I stink when I come in after a run. No, no....I mean really stink. Please telll me it's not Copa Cabana.
                      Me too...lovely wife directs me straight to the shower...do not pass go...do not collect $100
                      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                      JakeKnight

nah..he is talking about people like me....white, middle-aged...fat...who is running his first 5K in two years and will probably WALK part of it AND sprint at the end...WTH...might as well go out with a blown artery rather than die of terminal snobbery..... Tongue (although I did WIN my division in the last race.....only had to beat the other overweight middle aged white guy....)
                        Yup. You. And what are you pissy at me for? I'm not the one secretly thinking it, remember? Wait. Yes I am. But so is everybody else. If you've got the energy to sprint at the end, you have no reason to walk. Or as the original poster put it: "When I see a runner "kick" hard at the end of a race, I quietly tell myself he didn't run hard enough in the first place." Indeed. HTFU. Or at least don't elbow 8-year olds out of the way in the last 100 feet because you think you're impressing somebody. Especially if the eight year old in question passed you at the 2 mile marker while you were strolling. And thinking this doesn't make me a snob. It makes me an elitist prick. Proper terminology is important.
                        Elitist prick.
                        See? It's a badge of honor. Now it's time to work on the elite part. Bite me, Doctor Jewfrolicious.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Ooooh! Lets try to play nicely.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I hate admitting that I dread spring/summer becasue of the deer fly/horse fly situation. When one starts orbitng my head, I turn into a freak. If anyone saw me, I would be very ashamed. I fear the deer fly, like no other.
                            I can totally relate. Last summer, a hornet landed on my butt. I was dually afraid to either shoo it away or have it on me. Somehow in my extreme panic, I thought that sprinting and jumping up and down would scare it away. So I did this while a friend running with me kept shouting, "IT"S STILL ON YOUR BUTT!" Meanwhile, we passed a large church picnic gathering. It was a banner day for running.

Yup. You. And what are you pissy at me for? I'm not the one secretly thinking it, remember? Wait. Yes I am. But so is everybody else..
                              He he he...what fun we have Big grin If you've got the energy to sprint at the end, you have no reason to walk. Or as the original poster put it: "When I see a runner "kick" hard at the end of a race, I quietly tell myself he didn't run hard enough in the first place.".. On a more serious side, it depends on where the asthma is kicking in...sometimes I walk just to catch my breath...then the mechanism gets blocked and by the end of the race, I can kick it a bit. If I get a really good base on, then I can kick the asthma stuff pretty good. This past year, the lungs are really pitching a fit and it is taking some visits to a pulminologist and some good stuff to get things under control. Indeed. HTFU. Or at least don't elbow 8-year olds out of the way in the last 100 feet because you think you're impressing somebody. Especially if the eight year old in question passed you at the 2 mile marker while you were strolling. Thank you greatly oh great and grand poo-bah elitist prick for your sage wisdom....LOL
                                4) In my first 10k race there was chain link fencing forming the sides of the chute- I used it to hold myself up, then tried to pretend I was "stretching".
                                now that's funny!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM