Things I don't normally like to admit... (Read 2078 times)

rlemert

That first one will change: when you're running 15-20 miles, you'll lose the cotton socks.
    I've been holding fairly well to 30-40 mpw for the last couple of months with runs to 16 miles. I have yet to see a need to change from my big white Nike cotton socks. (I've also completed one full marathon and three halves in the things.) I also do almost all of my running in cotton tee-shirts, too. In fact, about the only time I ever wear a technical shirt is when I wear my Eugene Marathon shirt to educate the locals about where real runners come from.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2) I prefer to run by myself so I don't have to talk or fit in with someone else's pace.
      I don't think you're so alone with this. I like to run on occasion with others who have similar mileage and pace stats as my own, but for the most part I like running by myself. I don't want to slow anyone else down or be slowed down by anyone, either.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hate admitting that I dread spring/summer becasue of the deer fly/horse fly situation. When one starts orbitng my head, I turn into a freak. If anyone saw me, I would be very ashamed. I fear the deer fly, like no other.
        I'm so glad we don't have them around here...them buggers have a MEAN bite! I went to a Summer camp for a week as a kid that was full of 'em. The only way to get them off was to dive under the water...but those bastards would be hovering above the water waiting for us to surface!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

I am a proud Merle Haggard fan.
          Amazing! As I am reading through this thread, fond remembrances of blasting down the backroads with Mearle on the 8-track, an email pops up with a subject line that reads... "PRESALE: Merle Haggard" Dang, that's good marketing! Gotta run! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I hate admitting that I dread spring/summer becasue of the deer fly/horse fly situation. When one starts orbitng my head, I turn into a freak. If anyone saw me, I would be very ashamed. I fear the deer fly, like no other.
            Anya, you're not alone! The deer flies here sometimes make it so the kids can't even go out and play! What really freaks me out are these guys, cicada killer wasps, who come out ~June through September: Photobucket My fear is unfounded as they don't sting (males), but they're *huge* and come right at you and ricochet off your body when you run into/through them. Funny thing is before I realized they were wasps, I would casually run through them thinking they were just dragonflies pinging off of me. As they got much thicker toward the middle of summer and I figured out they *weren't* dragonflies, I started sprinting through them, waving my arms all over, legs going in all directions. Luckily I was always in the woods cuz I'm sure I looked like I just escaped a mental institution.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

hat really freaks me out are these guys, cicada killer wasps, who come out ~June through September:
              Alright, Sockoni. You posted this once before and it took me months to get over it. Please don't do it again. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Thank you greatly oh great and grand poo-bah elitist prick for your sage wisdom....LOL
                You're welcome. You may kiss my ring.
                I've been holding fairly well to 30-40 mpw for the last couple of months with runs to 16 miles. I have yet to see a need to change from my big white Nike cotton socks. (I've also completed one full marathon and three halves in the things.)
                Then you have far tougher feet than I. But you might want to give them a try. I like Wright Socks; a lot of folks wear by SmartWool socks. I've known people who dropped five minutes from their marathon just by switching to decent socks. But they probably had sissy feet.
                Alright, Sockoni. You posted this once before and it took me months to get over it. Please don't do it again. Clowning around
                I don't mind the bugs - its the picture of you holding them in your hand that gets me. Are you sure they don't sting? When I was a kid growing up in Texas, my neighbor buddy and I used to collect bugs. The Cicada Killer was one of our prime targets, because it was a) cool, b) had a cool name, and c) was the size of New Jersey. But I distinctly remember when we finally got one and pinned it ... it had a stinger about a foot a half long. Was that for decoration? Or did we capture a female? Whatever. I'm not running through a swarm of them either way.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Heh, sorry Jeff! I feel the same way. I hate to admit it (following the theme of things), but I avoided the trails after they got really bad mid summer. Totally harmless, but creeped me right out!
                  I don't mind the bugs - its the picture of you holding them in your hand that gets me.
                  Fortunately, that's not a picture of me with the wasps, just a pic off the internet. My husband started finding them dead all over the ground at the end of summer, though, and brought some into the house to show me. They went out just about as quickly as they came in!
                  Are you sure they don't sting? When I was a kid growing up in Texas, my neighbor buddy and I used to collect bugs. The Cicada Killer was one of our prime targets, because it was a) cool, b) had a cool name, and c) was the size of New Jersey. But I distinctly remember when we finally got one and pinned it ... it had a stinger about a foot a half long. Was that for decoration? Or did we capture a female?
                  From everything I read, the males don't sting (although if anyone else knows otherwise, I'd be interested, because I'll *really* avoid the trails when they're out!!) Besides that, after going through them as much as I did during the spring, thinking they were just cute dragonflies, I would have been stung at least once...as well as when I went through the swarm of them mid summer a handful of times. I just looked again, though, and didn't find any anatomical explanations...do they have something that looks like a stinger just to trick us? One article did say the males have a poker (scientific term there) in their abdomen that they can stick you with if you really irritate them. It also said that they divebomb anything coming into their territory 1)to protect their turf and 2)to be the first one to check if it's a cute female wasp. Also, if swatted at, they'll retreat. (I beg to differ here, but sure explains why they went nuts when I'd pass through.) They're just skeerey.
                    Good Lord, Sockoni! Those look horrible. Thank God we don't get those in MD. Only every 17 years, when the other ones show up. Man, I grew up in Michigan too. I remember biting black flies at Lake Michigan, and horse and deer fly, too. But I would freak to no end if I had to contend with those things!!! Eee Gads !! You are a brave one!!

- Anya

The Terminator

Running gives me really ugly feet -- I'm missing toenails and I'm blistery. My feet would look much better, but I have completely lost interest in maintaining them. Now I can't let anyone see them. I love/ hate running. Because of this, I will never be a consistent runner.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

uncontrollable

High School Musical Rocks! Have it on mine too! It's the best.

peace

The Greatest of All Time

Running gives me really ugly feet -- I'm missing toenails and I'm blistery. My feet would look much better, but I have completely lost interest in maintaining them. Now I can't let anyone see them. I love/ hate running. Because of this, I will never be a consistent runner.
                          Funny you should mention this but when I was in college I worked at a running specialty store and that experience alone turned me into a foot hater. I saw so many busted up toes, etc. I hate feet, especially other people's feet. Eewww! I think people with foot fetishes are truly strange Tongue
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            I'm not a foot fan either, but i AM happy my husbands feet aren't too bad. There are some really freaky feet out there. I hate people ( like my brother in law ) who don't trim their toe nails. That is so disgusting. On a funny note, my 5 year old nephew puts his toes in his mouth and just sucks them. I asked him why and he said " they taste good" Ha! I wonder if that is the first sign of a foot fettish>?

- Anya

Well no one knows the real reason I like running alone, because I fart alot when I run.........wait Blush

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Beatin' on the Rock

Well no one knows the real reason I like running alone, because I fart alot when I run.........wait Blush
                                LOL! One end or t'other! Big grin
                                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.