Must Pass Cooper Fitness Test Help (Read 3363 times)

MrH

First I walked 2 miles around the track for a total of 12 laps. .

6 laps to the mile? If so, referring to 'laps of a track' will only confuse people as they would assume a 400m track.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I look my best blurry!

It occurs to me to ask why you left it until you had only 1 month to train for the test? Or perhaps you weren't give the information that you would be expected to take it?

Anyway, if you are in reasonable health and somewhat fit it should not be too difficult- as others have suggested, I would do a time trial to see how much (if at all) you need to improve in the time you have. Then you will have a better idea how hard or easy it may be.

No advice on shoes from me, staying away from that one!

I agree!  I would add that you could wear flip flops!  OK maybe combat boots if it is cold where you live.  Or Uggs.  My daughter can run a mile home from school in them without losing a toenail!  The Uggs are a little stinky though.  

You can do it!  If you aren't overweight and don't have any major health issues (check with doctor first if you do), I think you might need a therapist to work on your self confidence.  THINK POSITIVE!  START NOW!  What are you waiting for??

Walk, run, walk, run, walk, run, run, walk, run, run, run, walk, run, run, run, run, walk, run, run, run, run, run and so on!  Good luck!  

iraqofficer

So the community understands, I was only told 3 days ago that I would have to take this test. The State Department has just given out this contract and all senior stafff members must pass this before going to Iraq.

I look my best blurry!

Of course, we don't know your health history but I really do think that this is a doable goal.  Just keep going.  Seriously, time yourself.  What is your current 1.5 time, even if it is a walk/run?  Make sure you know for sure how many laps of your "track" is a mile.  Most are 4 at schools.  Or are you using an indoor track somewhere that is shorter?  We will check on you everyday.  I want you to achieve your goal.  By the way, thank you for serving our country and for the sacrifices you and your family are making for all of us.  I am excited to try to help motivate and encourage you!  It is the least we can do.  I was being silly but I really do want to help you succeed.  I recently started running myself and I am amazed how quickly I have improved.  I've had runners knee, a minor spinal cord injury (from a collapsed hammock) and shin splints.  But I love every minute of the effort.  I have a hard time stopping myself for adequate rest.  If I can do it so can you!!!
            Well I did my second day of training or at least I should say running. I took advise from the community and started out this way. First I walked 2 miles around the track for a total of 12 laps.  

Every track I know of is 4 laps for a mile, unless maybe you're doing an inside track at a gym or something?

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, like the indoor one at our Y - 19 laps to a mile.  Gag.  It's almost that time of year when I will have to resort to using it, too, because it's less painful to me than the treadmill.

Yes, it's very individual!  I'm 47.  I struggle to get below 11:00 pace even when I'm running 30 mpw (which I'm not doing now).  I really try hard, too, and I'm not overweight.  Sigh.  I'm just glad my kids didn't get my "slow" genes.

Teresa:

I posted this article about the original joggers a few days ago at Lydiard Foundation website.  It is mind-buggling to me that so many people today are running a lot and training hard; yet they don't seem get faster (no draggatery intention at all here).  To me, you run a bit; then you run a little mor; and you strat to run more and more...and, when you hit somewhere around running 45~60 minutes a day, you start to get faster and faster because now you're processing more and more oxygen and you're raising your aerobic pace--in other words, you can run faster without getting into oxygen debt.  Today, people are running 3 hours, 4 hours, 5 hours sometimes, to "prepare for the marathon" and, yet, they stay somewhere around 10~12 minutes per mile pace (well, that is why it takes so long to run...).  To me, if you're putting that much effort into it, you'll be running, at least, 8-minute for the mile (may not be consecutively...yet). 

To me, the reasons why people are not getting faster are: 1) they never learn to run fast, 2) they are taking way too much walking breaks that they just don't get as much benefit from a long "run", 3) they are in fact over-training and getting into a stress situation and are not getting benefit from the effort...or 4) they just have a pre-determined mind-set that "I am not fast" or "I don't need to get fast"...

I go over and over and over with this argument; if Arthur Lydiard could take 20 old businessmen, all the a history of heart attack, and get them down to running a full marathon around 4-hours within a year; and yet, with all the benefits of modern technologies and environment and situation, we can't; there's got to be something they were doing right and we aren't. 

Hey, Terese, would you be interested in becoming my guinea pig??? ;o)  If you're interested, send me an e-mail at nobby415@msn.com

So the community understands, I was only told 3 days ago that I would have to take this test. The State Department has just given out this contract and all senior stafff members must pass this before going to Iraq.

Officer:

All due respect, and in all seriousness,can you refer me to who (or what organization) is putting together this fitness program?  It is the program to put people like yourself to be fit and strong that counts; not some test to see if you are already at some level of fitness by FORCING people to go through a crash training.  Such a mentality is a sure way to send people to a cardiac arrest before they even reach to a battle field.  I'm sorry, but it's like saying; "We don't know how to make people fit; so we'll see IF they are fit to begin with..."  I thought we got away with this kind of thinking several decades ago but apparently not.

Seriously, we'd like to contact them and offer a solution.  It is the process of "building" a strong heart that defends the nation; not "whipping and damaging".

...or 4) they just have a pre-determined mind-set that "I am not fast" or "I don't need to get fast"...

I think this is particularly true with women and moreso as they get older. Of course, no one "needs" to get fast if they truly don't give a rip about being any faster, but I hear so many women constantly saying, with some degree of frustration, "I have one speed--slow."

Not always, but a lot of the time I think if one is convinced she has one speed, she'll have one speed.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Nobby, thanks for the offer!  I have already e-mailed you.

Tanya, maybe it's similar to the kids in school who said, "I'm no good at math!"  I used to (silently) scoff at them, because math came so easily to me.  I knew they could get better at it, but it would take a lot of work.  So I'm on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to running, but you're right, I can get faster!  I've been in a slump since my HM in early October, so I think Nobby will be a great help to me.  Wish me luck!

Good luck!

I'll be really interested to see how it goes. Keep us updated!

iraqofficer

Well another day gone by and I started my daily training out, by walking 3 miles the first mile slow and the next  2 walking as fast as I could. After that I began to run trhe course again in sections until I completed another 2 miles. I must say that progress is slow nothing like lifting at the gym 3 days a week. The fastest I could due my 1.5 miles was 18.32. I need to shave 4 minutes of that over the next month. It was strange though the further I walked the better I felt. My legs are shot today very sore but to be expected 3 days into this thing. I must get better shoes though my feet are killing me.

Maniac

Okay IO....I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you might want to take it easy for a day....Building from 1 to 5 miles in 3 days may be pushing it (hence the sore feet and muscles).

Maybe tomorrow just walk your two miles. 

Also....Are you sure you've got accurate measurements?  I'd hate to think you prep for a month thinking you're going one distance only to find out later that you were going different distances all along.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

iraqofficer

Ya  AZ I am going to the local high schools 440 track to get a solid grip on the distance. I still have to go to the gym at night to due the rest of my workout. I will say one thing though I am sleeping like a rock.
                              Kenotic Runner

Well another day gone by and I started my daily training out, by walking 3 miles the first mile slow and the next  2 walking as fast as I could. After that I began to run trhe course again in sections until I completed another 2 miles. I must say that progress is slow nothing like lifting at the gym 3 days a week. The fastest I could due my 1.5 miles was 18.32. I need to shave 4 minutes of that over the next month. It was strange though the further I walked the better I felt. My legs are shot today very sore but to be expected 3 days into this thing. I must get better shoes though my feet are killing me.

Did you just say you did 3 + 2 miles (that is 5 miles)??? 

In running, harder and more isn't more.

In my personal experience in working out with military-style "workouts," they're designed to maximize pain (trainer's goals are psychological), not designed to maximize performance (individual's numeric goals).

The folks around here know good, contemporary technique which is both easier and more effective than bootcamp style.

Would you consider posting your runs on the Training Log on this site, including distances and times?  I think this would help us understand what you're saying.

It also sounds like you need a "plan."

Here's an example novice 5K plan:  http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

Notice there are days of rest.  This part of good training technique.  One progresses faster with planned combined days on and days off.

Here's another example "couch to 5K" plan:  http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1

Here's another one many have started with:  http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html#5k

Some days are about increasing mileage.  Others about speed.  Others about rest.  Just like you need a grain, a liquid, a sugar, and yeast to make bread, there's a bit of a "recipe" for running.

Running is not simple and linear in its progress and "no plan" often results in otherwise easily avoidable injury.

As for shoes, I personally highly recommend going to a proper running store if one is available in your area.  A lot of stores have treadmills in the store with a video camera mounted behind the treadmill, aimed at just above the tread.  You try on shoes, and run 30 seconds or so and the video tape how the foot falls on the tread.  This is the best way to get a shoe that right for you.  Get good shoes.  Everybody's feet are different in how much support and stability they need and running shoes are designed for specific needs.

If you just did 5 miles today, certainly take tomorrow completely off or just walk.

If you just did 1.5 miles in 18:32 you should be on target to get to your goal.  (I'm assuming you mean 18 min 32 sec, not 18.32 min.)  However, you can't bull your way through.  If you're thinking you have 8 weeks to "shave off" 4 minutes and thus 30 seconds per week, that kind of math doesn't work with running.

The guys were asking about a "time trial" to kind see where you're at.  I think with the 1.5 miles in 18:32 we have an idea.

I'm thinking we might want to help you find or custom-build a plan forecasting out the next few weeks.

Any one have other thoughts?

I think a "plan" is in order.