What is a reasonable cost for a HM? (Read 827 times)

GKA

GKA

I am considering running my first HM at the end of May. http://www.seejanerun.com/t-See-Jane-Run-Half-Marathon-and-5K-details.aspx The reasons to run this race are: 5 miles from home, flat course, good cause, and chocolate and champagne at the finish. The registration fee of $85 seems a little stiff. I usually run races organized by a local running club, and these are a $5.Smile Last time I ran a professionally organized race (15 years ago) the registration fees were generally in the $25-$40 range.
    "Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai
    DoppleBock

Before I read your e-mail I was thinking $40-$45 to me is reasonable. I have not paid more for a half marathon - but ... Local means that you should have no other costs ... Good cause - Depends on how much of your $ goes to charity - Is it $1, $5 or $25 I personally would not pay that much

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Hey, nice marmot!

What is reasonable? Indeed, a good question. Well Jane, I would suppose that would depend where you live. Your profile has you in San Francisco, which has I believe, if not the highest cost of living in the country, I think it's in the top 5. High costs of living means that most all of the costs of putting on a race are higher than they'd be elsewhere. So, never having lived in SF, I'm gonna guess and say that $85 for a HM in SF is probably reasonable. Have you checked out any of the competition? How much do other halves in SF cost? I think it can all be summed up by the wise man who once opined, "Mo money, mo problems."

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

mikeymike

The going rate for the good half marathons around here is $30-35 for early registration, $45-55 day of race. Some smaller ones are less than that, some bigger, more foofy ones are a little more. $85 is out of hand.

Runners run

The going rate for the good half marathons around here is $30-35 for early registration, $45-55 day of race. Some smaller ones are less than that, some bigger, more foofy ones are a little more. $85 is out of hand.
            I think I have paid $35 for my two halfs (early reg); Upcoming Marathon only paid $65 (early discount in January) but think now going for $85 - 90. but I think we only get one domestic beer afterwards, as I think Chocolate and champaign puts this race in the foofy range.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

CMM HM is like $100.
                My first HM last September cost me $27 pre-registration, my next HM in two weeks cost $50 pre-registration and it is the most expensive in my area AFAIK.

Prince of Fatness

For another reference point I paid $50 for the Lehigh Valley Half that I am running next month. I registered early. I think it went up to $60 if you registered later. I think that the price is fair ... this is one of my favorite races. I agree with $85 being a little steep. But if it's local then you're not dealing with travel and hotel costs, etc., so total cost is not such a bad deal.

Not at it at all. 

xor

But if it's local then you're not dealing with travel and hotel costs, etc., so total cost is not such a bad deal.
                    Interestingly, the high priced destination races look at it the other way... if you are traveling to our fine event, then you won't care so much that we're charging you $125 because that's small compared to hotel, flight, lap dance, etc,

Maniac

Interestingly, the high priced destination races look at it the other way... if you are traveling to our fine event, then you won't care so much that we're charging you $125 because that's small compared to hotel, flight, lap dance, etc,
                      Does anyone know what the going rate for a lap dance is in San Francisco? Perhaps there is some sort of mathematical equation that we can use to determine appropriate race fees based on a new statistic...Let's call it the "Lap Dance Index".

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

coastwalker

Our half (http://www.seacoasthalfmarathon.com) will be charging $50 this year. We chose a different local non-profit as our beneficiary each year, and every penny after race expenses are paid goes to the beneficiary or to the other non-profits who compete in our water stop competition. Most halfs in this area (northern New England) charge at least $40, and not all are fund-raisers, so we don't feel we're out of line for this part of the country. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

nextyearcubs

I ran the I&M National Heritage Corridor 25K last weekend, $22 and a tech shirt. Can't beat that... But probably $60 is the most I'd pay for a HM, unless the course was somewhere really outstanding that I couldn't get access to on my own.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

I did a quick survey of the Chicagoland area half marathon fees. Where there is a sliding scale, I listed the low-high range: Chicago R'n'R Half: $70-$95 Chicago Half: $60 North Shore Half: $60 Chicago 13.1: $55-$90

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Dunottar

I am considering running my first HM at the end of May. http://www.seejanerun.com/t-See-Jane-Run-Half-Marathon-and-5K-details.aspx and chocolate and champagne at the finish. The registration fee of $85 seems a little stiff.
                              Who is the official race chocolatier? Sommelier? This is critical information. ex.: Asti and Nestle's - no way Krug and Godiva - I'd pay. Evil grin

A Saucy Wench

a lot of it is regional. Mikey can find races a lot cheaper in general than I can. There is one HM around here that is $22-27 (without shirt - add $20 for shirt) There are probably 4-5 in the $45-65 range There is one that sells out in about 2 days that is closer to $90 and it isnt even a good race (well organized, awful course), but it is all women and it has good schwag. Roll eyes My absolute favorite half is $55-60 and I will do it anyway. I love the course, I love that it is the week of my birthday every year so it's my birthday present to me. I love that as far as local HM''s go it is the most local

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7