Clip-on pedals (Read 1659 times)

TRIing to beat the heat!

*applauds* You've been inaugurated. I think it's pretty rare to find someone who never experienced the slow-mo topple that comes with first using clipless pedals. When I first got my road bike (and went clipless), I actually made it through my first 10 mile ride without any problems. I then fell over right in my own garage before my next ride. I had a few 'scares' after that but once I set the tension as low as it could go, I would pop out before falling over completely. Ego intact. It'll get better! Have fun!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Believe it or not, I made it 10+ years before a clipped-in-topple. I actually wore out a pair of pedals. Part of it is that I have BeBop pedals, which are faster to get in and out of than pedals with toe clips. But, last summer, after a long ride, I unclipped left, and toppled over to my right, into a bush, next to my driveway. did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But, last summer, after a long ride, I unclipped left, and toppled over to my right, into a bush, next to my driveway. did
        What about that time you fell into a ditch...I know there's a pic of that floating around somewhere... Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am looking forward to the day I stop falling. Did my first group ride today. 15.9 miles.Of course I fell in the turning lane of a major street.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

What about that time you fell into a ditch...I know there's a pic of that floating around somewhere... Wink
            Yeah, but that was a chain skip, not stop n' flop. did

Supa Dupa Fly

lol, had my second stop and flop this weekend since getting clipless pedal in January. It was like slow motion, and i realized i was going the wrong way and tried to unclip the other foot..but to no avail...BAM hit the ground. Laughed my @ss off and for some strange reason immediately thought about this thread.
              ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

MANAGED NOT TO FALL ON MY LAST 2 RIDES. I AM ON A RECORD SETTING PACE. Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

uncontrollable

Several super stupid looking wipeouts, one small scar, & one neighbor witnessed - me hopping back on the bike, bleeding stating "Oh, I'm fine - have a good day". After that, got better with practice. Surprised

peace

Alright, I've had my clip-on pedals for about four weeks now. I've been commuting several times a week in traffic and got the hang of it quite fast. I was using toe clips for over 20 years, which probably helped getting the right reflexes. Well, everything was going fine until last Thursday. I was doing a training ride and stopped to wait for the rest of the group after a very steep hill and put my right unclipped foot on the ground. When I got to start again, not sure what I did, but I picked up the right foot and ended up slowly toppling to my left. I hit that pavement pretty hard but got back on my bike to continue my ride. I had pain in my right arm that was making it hard to brake so I eventually rode back home. The pain just kept getting worse in the evening and I ended-up at the emergency room leaving it with my arm in a cast. I'm not sure what is wrong with it, they couldn't tell from the x ray, but given the amount of pain, and the fact that I couldn't really move it, they decided to immobilize it until I see an orthopedic surgeon next week. I'm crossing my left hand fingers hoping it's nothing serious. Undecided -R

Ostrich runner

I have a photo somewhere of my broken illium that I attribute to old school clips. Clipless take a while to get used to, but you really can get out of them much faster.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

A Saucy Wench

...this is why I have yet to brave clipless pedals. If I ever want to do tri's again I am going to have to suck it up though.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ostrich runner

...this is why I have yet to brave clipless pedals. If I ever want to do tri's again I am going to have to suck it up though.
                          If you're using toe clips, then it is much more dangerous. Clipless are only difficult if you're going from platform pedals.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

JakeKnight

Educate a -non-spandex-clad-dork non-biker, please. What are clipless pedals? Why would I need or want them? What's wrong with the old-fashioned kind? Please to explain. MTA: ditto for toe clips. What are those?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Educate a -non-spandex-clad-dork non-biker, please. What are clipless pedals? Why would I need or want them? What's wrong with the old-fashioned kind? Please to explain. MTA: ditto for toe clips. What are those?
                              Clipless pedals are those that you clip in to. Pedals with toe clips, those you don't clip in to. Got it? It's completely clear. did

mikeymike

I my biking days I actually found it easier to get in and out of clipless pedals than with toe clips. The one exception is when mt. biking up a steep hill and the loose ground 'neath your back tire gives way and you start sliding backwards. Your instinct is to pull your foot off your pedal backwards, which simply doesn't work. And there's no physical way to turn your heel out when your sliding backwards down a steep hill clipped in...so you just have to wait til you roll over backwards with the bike on top of you and hope for the best.

Runners run