Gah, does my Garmin have an issue? (Read 1020 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Still going... Just e-mailed Garmin, but the confirmation says it could be 3 days before I am contacted...of course they aren't open on the weekends, either, so I can't call. Do I take the risk of disconnecting it? I really don't want to leave it plugged-in doing nothing for 3 days.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ok, so I am loading the 2.8 update...how long should this take? It's been loading for probably 15 minutes now... Confused
      Kirsten, I just tried to update to 2.8 - ack! I have a PC, so it's different, but it was still hard. It chugged along for awhile, and then I got an error message. Then my computer didn't even recognize that the Garmin was attached to the computer! I had to reinstall the Training Center software. Oh, at some point, I was asked if my 305 was turned ON. It wasn't, and after I turned it on, things seemed to go smoother. When I tried updating again, everything worked fine. Is your unit turned on? This is why I hate updating software. I always seem to have trouble doing it. Confused
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, it's on. I actually gave up and force quit the update program, then started over. This was almost a half hour ago...same shit. It didn't upload anything, as the version still shows as 2.7 on my Garmin. Der. Undecided

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm going to unplug it again. I don't think the uploader is doing squat.

~ Sarah Kay

zoomzoom, I had the same problem you had for a while (instant shut off when I tried to use quick workout for distance/pace, but everything else worked fine) but it went away as soon as I had actually started and finished a different type of quick workout. I don't know what was up with it, but I was on the verge of sending it in to Garmin when I realized that I didn't actually care about the quick workout. Then it started working eventually. So that's good. I still haven't really used a quick workout. Smile Can't help you with your updating problems, though. I had some trouble doing it but don't remember how exactly I got it working. I think it might have just involved multiple attempts until it worked.

sean

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can't help you with your updating problems, though. I had some trouble doing it but don't remember how exactly I got it working. I think it might have just involved multiple attempts until it worked.
              I take it you're on a Mac, too? Or maybe this is a cross-platform problem...?

~ Sarah Kay

Zoomie, I just re-updated my firmware just to see if there was a problem. The download toook about 10 seconds. The entire process took just over a minute. Have you tried the direct firmware download instead of using the update manager? https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=3289&product=010-00467-00&cID=142&pID=349 I know the who mac/pc compatibility issue is a pain in the ass. Remember you are only interested in flashing the firmware in the watch. Big red doesn't care if he is plugged into a PC or Mac. Do you have friends or neighbors with a PC you can use? If so update on the PC, then continue as usual. Kenny
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know the who mac/pc compatibility issue is a pain in the ass. Remember you are only interested in flashing the firmware in the watch. Big red doesn't care if he is plugged into a PC or Mac. Do you have friends or neighbors with a PC you can use? If so update on the PC, then continue as usual. Kenny
                  You know...I recall downloading something for my little old Palm device that wasn't dependent upon OS, but I don't recall how I got it onto the device. I just downloaded the .exe file for the 2.8 update on Garmin's site (not sure why they don't have a Mac version of this update that can be done separate from the auto updater thingie). What's my next step? It's prompting for a program to open it with and I don't think I can actually open an exe file... Confused I may have DH take it with him to work on Monday. He could probably update it there without any issue.

~ Sarah Kay

What's my next step? It's prompting for a program to open it with and I don't think I can actually open an exe file... Confused
                    I don't know, never really used a mac. In fact I'm sort of a McIdiot (i believe I may have just coined a new term Wink)
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! I've used Macs and PCs...Macs are definitely more idiot-proof. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Well thanks gang, After reading the thread I decided to update mine by following the directions. Total time was about 5 minutes....actually 2 for the download but another 3 was was used for downloading the webupdater first and then reading the directions. Thanks again runing 2.8 and 3.0 gps

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I'm on a mac, too, so as far as I know it's not cross-platform. Stupid updater.

sean

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wow, sorry to here you had such a sucktastic time with the Web Updater. Sad Did you ever got v2.80 loaded? I seem to remember it taking a few tries when I did it. I did do the update to v3.00 of the GPS firmware -- apparently updating that isn't nearly the headache that updating the actual device firmware is.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, sorry to here you had such a sucktastic time with the Web Updater. Sad Did you ever got v2.80 loaded? I seem to remember it taking a few tries when I did it. I did do the update to v3.00 of the GPS firmware -- apparently updating that isn't nearly the headache that updating the actual device firmware is.
                              Nah, I'm going to try again once I hear back from Garmin.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Still have not heard back from Garmin. So I'm trying the update, again, but it appears to be getting stuck at the some point. The WebUpdater status is stuck on "erasing" and my Garmin screen says "loader loading." Black eye

~ Sarah Kay