Help me make my Wii fun (Read 1168 times)

xor

I was wondering what browser they used. Watching youtube clips via the internet through my Wii on my TV is a bit surreal.

an amazing likeness

Stealing the idea from something we saw on Rocketboom, we have full-fledged Wii tennis tournaments with brackets and all, playing down to a championship...it makes a pretty fun evening with friends and family.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

Update on this. I know one thing I probably won't be getting. (cross posted from the Masters group) Last night, I went to a friend's house and experienced the goofiness of "Rock Band" for the first time. And maybe only time. (on playstation, but I assume a Wii version would work the same) I have a huge Rock Band hangover this morning. Seriously. I only drank one beer early in the evening, and today I feel like the morning after a serious bender. I blame a combination of really loud bad music and too much staring at bright colors for a long time. Plus, Rock Band (or more specifically "Rock Band 2") reinforced that my knowledge of music seems to have ceased between 1995 and 1998. Lots of the songs that people wanted to try just made me say "?". I put myself through college playing in two bands. And I sucked ROYALLY at this game. And now I feel sick too. I think I'll pass.

Mario Galaxy is the best game on the platform if you can play it without getting nauseous. Other favorites of mine: MLB Power Pros. I am a geek for baseball video games. This is a cartoonized version of MLB players and teams along with a mode where you can create your own team and work up from the AA league to the MLB postseason. I was looking for a baseball game for the Wii with semi-realistic swing and pitch mechanics and this isn't it -- the primary way to play this is without using the wiimote functionality at all. There is a wiimote mode but it's a very small part of the game. I eventually abandoned my search for a realistic wiimote baseball game because batting and pitching over and over and over again really takes it out of you, I guess this is why they don't make them. Tiger woods 2009. I love the PGA Tour series at bar arcades and on other platforms and this is the best one in the series. If you play golf you'll love this. The swing mechanic is well done, but is not 100% true to golf, especially in putting. Select from real PGA players or make your own. Play on a ton of real true-to-life courses. Win money in tournaments and use it to buy better equipment which really effects your game. Zack and Wiki. Throwback to the old point-and-click adventure games. Zelda Twilight Princess. I love all of the Zelda games, this is one of the best. But by far the most mileage I get out of my Wii is on Wiiware and Virtual Console. With Virtual Console, you can get a lot of games for older platforms, buying them over the air. Wiiware is new software, but a few of them are remakes of old games. These happen to be my favorite. The Wiiware remakes of Tetris and Dr Mario are what gets by far the most play for my wife and I. You can compete with them against players over the internet complete with a rating system. There is also a Bomberman remake, I don't know if you are familiar with the series, but back in the 90s we used to have Bomberman parties .. and this is just as good as the old game. With 4 wiimote and 4 gamecube controllers you can play with 8 people locally, and/or over the internet. World of Goo on Wiiware really cool too. It's like lemmings but with really unique and interesting physics. Best thing about these Wiiware/Virtual Console games is they are pretty cheap, I think I payed $12 for Bomberman, $10 each for Tetris and Dr Mario, and the old NES/SNES games are 5 and 8 respectively. I think N64 games are $10.
          For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
            Well, it could have something to do with the fact that I am golf obsessed but I definitely enjoy the Tiger Woods PGA games. Some other favs are e Legend of Zelda: Twlight Princess, Resident Evil 4, and Tetris Party

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Hey, nice marmot!

bump

I recently received a wii as a gift.  Any new game suggestions not already listed?

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

xor

Interesting bump.  I no longer have the Wii.  I let the ex take it when she moved out a month ago.

There is a newer version of Wii Sports called Wii Sports Resort.  If you like the goofy Miis and the little playtime sporting events, Sports Resort is quite fun.  Table Tennis and archery were my two new favs, but it comes with a ton of little games.

And its initials are SR which makes it immediately awesome.

Oh. And if you buy Beatles Rockband with the guitar only and it absolutely WONT work because it keeps telling you to fiddle with the microphone (which you don't have, because you only bought the guitar), the solution to this dilemma is to turn off the Wii controller that's designated as controller one.  The game can't tell the difference between a microphone and controller one except that it doesn't receive the proper input from controller one (because it ain't a mic), so it just complains in an unfriendly fashion.

Don't ask me why I know this or how long it took me to figure it out.

i sacrificed the gift

bump

I recently received a wii as a gift.  Any new game suggestions not already listed?

Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros brawl.  New Super Mario Bros comes out in 2 weeks. 

Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
                  Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
                  Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

#artbydmcbride

So it's just you and the beagle rolling around the house now?  Wink

Runners run

xor

Just me.  The Beagle went too.

jeffdonahue

Mario Kart and "Wii Sports Resort".  The Resort Sports one is awesome, cant get enough of it.

#artbydmcbride

Just me.  The Beagle went too.

{{{srlopez}}}

Runners run

I liked the Mike Tyson Punch Out for the Wii. I only played it a couple times at a friends house, but it was fun and the controls were a little easier then the boxing on Wii Sports. It has a lot of the same characters from the original MTPO as well as some new ones. Two player mode was fun as you get to "box" with your friends. If you really get into the game and move around a lot, it could also be a good way to cross train.

We have both versions of American Idol Karaoke, and it's super fun for parties.  There's some decent music from 60's to current.  I don't even watch AI, but the game is fun--you can disable the judging part and just do karaoke.