Hello from a second-time around beginner (Read 723 times)

Crun

About 4 or 5 years ago I started running from scratch and built up from treadmills to walking/running to doing 5.5 miles two or three lunch-times a week. That stopped after a year or so and I did very little exercise until asked to play football for a fans' team at four weeks notice last October. I put together my own training 'regime' and got through the first game OK but ached a lot afterwards. Since then I have played four games and trained more often. Last week I joined some established runners and managed 1.5 miles with them, until I got stitch, before turning back to work running/walking. Today I surprised everyone by doing 5.5 miles with three breaks to relieve stitch! Big grin
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome back to running. If you find you are getting stitches often, try slowing down a bit as well. Running with established runners, they were probably going at a faster pace than your body is ready to keep up with. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Are you training for running or for Football??? Much different training strategy for the two...... Shocked

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'm trying to remember the remedy for stitches that a friend taught me my freshman year. He was a much more experienced runner than I and it helped me get through my runs with him (they were his easy runs and my challenge). Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is to exhale harder (a forced exhale) with the stride opposite the stitch. So, if you have a stitch on the right side, forcibly exhale as your left foot hits. This should remedy the situation raltively quickly ( a minute or two). Of course, if it is more severe, you may be wiser to slow down. MTA: He also would push me to go at least a minute or two beyond the stitch before allowing me to slow down. The thought there was that your body will use that as a wall and unless you push through, your body will always hit that wall at that point.

Member Since 2008

Welcome back Crun and good luck. Don't try to do too much too fast.
              i had this problem too and the runners on this site advised me to slow down. miraculous strategy, really. Blush