Question about Marathons, the wall, and the pace that gets you there. (Read 1290 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Okay, for the record, lactic threshold and marathon pace are pretty far apart (LT is roughly the pace you can hold for an hour). Both of which paces are only partially related to questions of fuel burning.
    About 0:45/mile for me. Not so far.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Good thread. Ive been there due to combination of starting too fast., and training too little. THere has been a very identifiable correlation between my training, and my bonking. Ive had a couple races where I trained ok. But ran way faster than I ever should have. I felt great until about mile 18--then got into the 12 minute range, then 14-15 minute miles. I am running the Pig in just over a month. This is more to establish a baseline for my fall goal marathon (Columbus). Maybe I have some ShanGen type magic..but really I hope to run as smart as I am capable of. If I can keep up around the 40-50 mpw range that I only just hit last week, I will be better prepared than I have been in a couple years (thats how bad Ive been).

Why is it sideways?

About 0:45/mile for me. Not so far.
        You suggest in your original post that running slower than LT is the key to staying in fat-burning range. This is just wrong, physiologically. And 45 seconds per mile is freaking huge in marathoning. MTA: I have to admit, though, that the dobie in your avatar looks pretty dadgum friendly. So there is that.

On My Horse

Ya, now I really want to do a 22-23 mile run (I think it is a bit close to race day for that though) I guess I'll just go out a bit slower on my next long run and see where I'm at for miles 18-20. I didn't really get in the kind of training I wanted the last 2-3 weeks because I've been having knee trouble and couldn't get down to much faster than 7:00 pace (which is bad) so I've been trying to cut back a bit w/out taking a week off. I'm more in the swing of things now so I should be able to sharpen up a bit. So, hey, another question, I have 4 Sundays until race day (which is the 5th Sunday from now) How should I do long runs? I figured the one the week before the race should be something much easier, like 10-12. That gives me 3 weeks that could be legit for training. I now want to do a 22 to see what it is like (relatively speaking, I bounced back pretty fast after the 20 miler, I was essentially good to go for track today, so I don't think 22 will be devastating to the rest of my week) Is that the kind of thing I should pursue ASAP to leave me some time to recovery more for the marathon, or can I mix in another 18 miler before I go for the 22 (then do another 18-20, then the 10-12)? I guess it probably isn't a huge deal at this point. I'm thinking of investing in a couple a GU or two for my next 20+ run, to see if that helps at all. Thanks for the responses everybody.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Imminent Catastrophe

You suggest in your original post that running slower than LT is the key to staying in fat-burning range. This is just wrong, physiologically. And 45 seconds per mile is freaking huge in marathoning. MTA: I have to admit, though, that the dobie in your avatar looks pretty dadgum friendly. So there is that.
            I also said vastly oversimplified. Anyway managing LT IS a big factor. Besides, the OP mentioned a 30-second difference in pace that mad a huge difference after 18 miles. And, yes, she's friendly. MTA: clarification

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Investing in the Gus is probably a pretty big deal. Need to try them before the ract to see a) if they help and b) if they make you puke.

Dave

Thanks Trent. NOW you tell me that stuff.
                So, hey, another question, I have 4 Sundays until race day (which is the 5th Sunday from now) How should I do long runs?
                I followed Hal Higdon Intermediate and his plan calls for your last 20 mile run 3 weeks from race day. I ran that one as a fast finish long run with the first half about 30-45 seconds slower than MP and the last half at MP or slightly faster. You get the benefits of working MP without quite the beating on your body. After that I did 15 (2 weeks out) and planned on 8-10 the week before at an easy pace.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Why is it sideways?

I also said vastly oversimplified. Anyway managing LT IS a big factor. Besides, the OP mentioned a 30-second difference in pace that mad a huge difference after 18 miles. And, yes, she's friendly. MTA: clarification
                  Okay, so you are suggesting that the best way for the OP to deal with his fuel issues is to work on his LT. Gotcha.
                  xor

Investing in the Gus is probably a pretty big deal.
                    This is Gus the mini-dachshund. I assure you that investing in a mini dachshund certainly turned into a big deal for me. Good and bad.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm confused. Does anybody think the OP is running AT or NEAR his LT pace? For 16 miles? Clearly the OP is running too hard (or is undernourished in terms of glycogen stores) to maintain his effort over 16 miles or more. But that does not mean it is LT pace (which should put an approximate 8 mile cap).
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also, and with all respect due to Gus the mini dachshund, if your training AND effort combined are inappropriate for a marathon attempt, no amount of sports gel will help you.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Awww, SR, what a cute Gus face...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mikeymike

No, LT has nothing to do with the problem at hand. I'll admit I cringed a little when I saw those two letters appear on page one, and I sort of knew at that point that a major derailment was probably inevitable. Still, I ignored it anyways in hopes it would just go away. And here we are talking about wiener dogs. Heh heh. Fisheye. Things always go awry when we start to talk physiology. We should stick to running.

Runners run

i'm not a huge dog person - but dang that Gus is a cutie!! Way to hijack this thread, srlopez. Big grin