Anyone here run a HM in 2:30 or more? (Read 976 times)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Thanks, everybody!  Even though in my head I know that it's likely I won't be last (unless something unexpected happens and I'm injured or something), it's still a daunting thought when people I know are talking about their HMs where they finished in 1:30 or whatever.  I know I'll never be fast, but I want to have a good time, and do the things I want to do! 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

sugnim

Thanks, everybody!  Even though in my head I know that it's likely I won't be last (unless something unexpected happens and I'm injured or something), it's still a daunting thought when people I know are talking about their HMs where they finished in 1:30 or whatever.  I know I'll never be fast, but I want to have a good time, and do the things I want to do! 

I was last--dead last--in my 1st half.  I still, for the most part, had a great time.

A Saucy Wench

I will warn you that almost everyone I talked with said the last 3 miles weren't super great and fun.  They were hard!  But that's the group you're around at that pace.  I'm sure the 2 hour HMer's felt differently. 

Nope.  Thats the beauty of running your appropriate pace.  Pretty much the last 3 miles are hard no matter what pace you run, as long as it is the right pace. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

knbradley2822

I can't wait to begin training for my first half! I can be hard on myself concerning pacing so I'm just determined to finish but I'm pretty sure it will take me a little longer than 2:30. First time at that distance means automatic PR! That's my train of thought Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In case a number would reassure you, I checked results from a local HM, and 1076 people finished > 2:30.

Lynx

Oh Di- just wanted to add:

I really like your signature line!

My first marathon was 4:57:39...pretty close to that 2:30 HM pace. It was the slowest I've ever run and the second deepest in the pack I've ever been (had a dead last place in a race a few years later) but there is something special about your first marathon or half marathon that really makes your finishing time not matter. I cannot explain how amazing crossing the finish line feels after working that hard for that long; no PR or even win at any race since has felt as good.

Go for it! You won't regret it!

My sentiments exactly.

FWIW, I ran my first in 2:14, which for a girl is like, what, 2:45? Had a blast.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Go for it and never let fear keep you from doing anything.  Crossing the finish line at a HM is priceless and you will always carry that feeling with you.  Don't worry about being last because it takes more guts to continue all alone then leading from start to finish.  I've come near DFL a few times and it made me stronger.  I moved into the triathlon world this year and continued thru even tho I was weak at both swimming and biking.  I met a guy who finished DFL in his first two tris and he proudly changed his sig line to: I may be slow but I finish ahead of everyone sitting on the couch.  Go and have fun at your HM!!!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I forgot which is your race Di?  I'll probably be over 2:30 for my first HM in April if I have to walk up the hills in Knoxville.

Jess runs for bacon

I did both of my halfs in 2:46. I will say that I enjoyed my first the most, there were a lot of crowds to keep me moving. The second was a much smaller trail race. Yeah, I'd love to be faster but being slow won't stop me from running  half (and doing a full in March).

I think you will find the half both a physically challenging and a rewarding experience.

There are lots of nice people to share the experience with and a spirit of mutual encouragement is common among runners towards the middle and back of the field.

Since your log is public I took a peek and could not help noticing you are not preparing for your event- if you want to improve you know what to do.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Supersono99

My first HM was my PR, at 2:29:55. Somehow I've gotten progressively slower. I've had 1 where I ran 2:31Tight lippedx, 2 races where I finished in 2:41Tight lippedx and one 2:46Tight lippedx. Never last, always enjoyed myself. One time I even had the crazy thought, as I crossed the finish line, that I wouldn't mind turning around and running back to the start, lol. I doubt that will ever happen, but I usually run comfortably and enjoy myself.  You'll have fun and be proud as long as you don't let other people define what is a good time for you. You have to decide that. 

Supersono99

Ummm, apparently if you type x x without a space, a weird smiley shows up.  Tight lippedx

I have run two HM's so far, 2:32 and 2:29, I'm slow and have no problem admitting it. Problem I made with both is I went out too fast, other than that I had a blast. When I finished the first one, my wife asked how I felt, told her it was the most fun I ever had LOL. Just go out and enjoy the experience and trust your training, don't worry about your time.

I should warn you though, HM's are very addictive, once you run one you can't stop.

an amazing likeness

Ummm, apparently if you type x x without a space, a weird smiley shows up.  Tight lippedx

It's actually the : followed by x that invokes the emoticon...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.