What's your favorite marathon/race? (Read 872 times)

Flat is boring.
    My favorite: Pike's Peak. (not boring)

Cause I CAN

Marine Corps Marathon Way too many people, not as flat or as fast as promised but amazing crowd support and race support by the Marines who (mostly) volunteer.
      Same here I had a blast Big grin
      Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
      http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
      VictorN

Vermont City Marathon: great city, great support, great organization, great course, great fans, (somebody stop me please), great entertainment, and great views. For other races, I rather like the Leaf Peepers Half, and am partial to the NYC Marathon since it was my first marathon. Victor
        Lane

Vermont City Marathon: great city, great support, great organization, great course, great fans, (somebody stop me please), great entertainment, and great views.
          I run the relay in this one! I love this race! That said, nothing beats an 800m race on the track.
            Another vote here for Pikes Peak for favorite Marathon. Favorite non-marathon distance race that I've run is the Moab Alpine to Slickrock 50 mile. Favorite that I want to run is the Hardrock 100.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The Mount Washington Road Race is fantastic. The runners there are awesome, probably because they're self-selected for being slightly extra-crazy. I've done it twice, once in horrible weather that stopped the race half way up (with ice in June), and once in freakishly beautiful weather with sunshine and 100 miles views the whole way. The Cape Cod Marathon has a great scenic course. Lots of variety, with shoreline, forest, hills, and villages. I also give thumbs up to Vermont City and Marine Corp. Both fun races. And there's a special place in my heart for the Commodore Hull Annual Thanksgiving 5k, because it's in my hometown and I've run it every year since its inception. And I always end up seeing people there I haven't seen in years.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

That said, nothing beats an 800m race on the track.
                Ugh, no thanks. At distances that short it's an entirely separate sport. 5k is my sprint. 10k is middle distance. And "long" starts at the half marathon. Big grin
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ummmm. Too easy. Next question? Evil grin
                  wow, 2 hours 25 minutes. I had my money on 1:45 Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bridgerunner

laced up!

Well, in my book, you rock!! That is quite an accomplishment running the Pikes Peak marathon Smile . I grew up in Colorado Springs, and I could not imagine running to the top of a 14,000 elevated mountain; let alone, running back down and trashing the quads Shocked!
                      My favorite will always be Sydney simply because that was my first marathon. But running it a close second would be the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon in North Georgia held in early November. Only about 250-300 runners in a national park, but very well supported insofar as water, power drinks and even food stations. Course is not closed but traffic is very light. And amazingly enough not too hilly which in that part of Georgia is surprising in itself. The cost is very inexpensive and goes to support one of the local college track teams. Others I've really enjoyed would be Oklahoma City, Richmond, Niagara Falls and Myrtle Beach. The year I ran Hartford it downpoured on us so it's difficult to compare to other races. However, the course was not very hilly and the drenched volunteers were very good.
                      USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, Pikes Peak is a great one too!
                          I'm a fan of holiday races. The first one I did was a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5k, and it was the first non competitive race I'd ever been in (I'd done track and xcountry in HS), and I couldn't believe how friendly everyone was and how much fun they were having before going home to gorge themselves. I really should do more of these. I also did a July 4th race, but that wasn't nearly as much fun as the Turkey one, though I did get much more drunk afterwards.
                            Carlsbad (San Diego). Well, it is the only one I have run (2x) and is my next one (Jan 20).
                            Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

Kings Canyon NP 07'

I have to say Big Sur International marathon. It is VERY hard, hilly and cold, but the view is amazing for 26.2 miles.

left-right-left-right-repeat

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

VERY hard, hilly and cold, but the view is amazing for 26.2 miles.
                                Flat is boring! Big grin