New Alaska state record!!!!! or Chenille's HHFMM report.. (Read 725 times)

Short version: first marathon...check Big grin The road to the Monkey….(not the race report yet – skip to the next section….) My plans to run this marathon began in the summer of 2007….a few of the people that I regularly chat with on RA were playing around with the idea of meeting in Nashville to do the Monkey. My plan was always to go, but I really wanted to be part of the race as well. I was just getting my legs back after coming off an injury, but I figured I had a year to train. Things were going well and I was building my mileage slowly, when I took a bad fall on the ice last November. Ironically, this happened after leaving the running store while carrying my newly studded trail shoes…. What I thought was a bruised muscle, was more than likely a bone bruise and by the time I figured out what the problem was, it had evolved into a femoral stress fracture. I thought my monkey dreams were over, and I was seriously freaked out about this latest injury and convinced that I would never be able to run the way I wanted to ever again. When I was finally cleared to resume running in April, I didn’t want to. I have the most amazing and supportive DH, and he convinced me that I should get back out there with the return to run program, that my desire to run would return, and if I didn’t, I would seriously regret the time I had lost. OK, maybe it’s also because I can be a little difficult to live with when I don’t run…. I listened, and ended up running my first race ever in June – a 12k. Slowly I started getting over my fear of running and did 3 more races over the summer – all of which were stepping stones towards marathon training. During my HM, I developed an ITB issue, that had me limping and in serious pain from about the 8 mile mark. Bad timing, as it was now mid-August, and the plan was to start bumping up mileage – I lost about 3 weeks recovering (switched to XT) and then had to resume with run/walk….. a little kink in the long run schedule. I wanted to do at least one 20 miler. On top of that, winter came early, and I had issues doing runs over 2 hours in the cold. In the end, my single longest run was about 15 miles. Rockenmama told me that even ‘tho I didn’t hit the distance, training under winter conditions was harder, so it would compensate, and just about all my routes are like one big hill. I also took heart from advice I had seen on RA from Nobby, Ed4 and Jeff who said it wasn’t always necessary for first time marathoners to go 20 in training. Thanks! You were right Smile My other issue was that to keep injuries at bay, I seem to need every other day off for recovery…so, in order to get my mileage up, I had to eliminate all easy/low mileage runs. I felt my only shot at finishing in one piece was to focus all my efforts on building endurance. Seriously – I was getting to the point where I started to dislike running, because every run was a mid-long or long run. If I had more time, I could have built up slower so that those mid-long runs were more comfortable. I will never train like that again, but my eyes were on the prize and when I made my running goals pre-taper, I discovered just what a stubborn person I can be Big grin THE RACE I arrived in Nashville Thursday night, and it was COLD, and windy….hmmm, no one said anything about the wind. Luckily by Friday it had warmed up, and the sun was going to shine. It turned out to be pretty ideal conditions – warm enough for a skirt, cool enough to not worry about excess fluid loss – well, at the pace I was going to be running anyways! After a little mix-up with directions, we arrived at the start…with 4 minutes to spare… Tongue Go! What an amazing feeling – to be out running in this beautiful setting, with a group of runners who had become my friends thanks to RA. The absolutely best part, was doing this race with Pam, who has been with me through every step of my training, and had promised to do the same with this race. We had a great time and met and chatted with so many nice people along the way – some from RA, some we were meeting for the first time. One of the first people we ended up running with for awhile, was a guy who was wearing a sweatshirt that had “Alaska” on it! How weird was that? No, not from AK, just had the shirt. I was feeling pretty good – early on we ran the smaller hills, walked the steepest inclines. Almost before we knew it, it was mile 10! The volunteers were great. I think around mile 14, I had stopped at the water station for gel and water and was chatting. Pam looks at her watch and goes “come on, we need to start moving” – I said “ I thought you said time didn’t matter…” One of the volunteers said “that’s what they always tell you to get you to sign up” Big grin I was so excited when we hit mile 16 – it was official – my longest run ever!!!! Of course we had to stop and take yet another pic…yes, I was running with my camera......what????? oops! guess my legs were still feeling strong... longest run ever!!!!! so far..... Mile 18 was when my quads started to hurt, and it got progressively harder to start back up running. Mile 20!!!! At this point I knew I would finish, and we even had a shot at getting in under 5, but that’s also when the quads started talking a little louder. Such a weird feeling, when I would stop to walk, it’s like my legs were sluggish to get the signal, and almost felt like they would buckle, running actually started feeling better than walking – but couldn’t do it on the inclines. By mile 23, I was hurting…Pam was awesome, kept letting me know that it was normal, my legs would still function, and just kept up a steady stream of encouragement. Mile 25 – breathing started to get hard. I wanted to kick it up a little, but every time I tried I started wheezing. No way was I going to not finish now – kept alternating short runs with walks, and was determined to run in the finish – which I did, but it also triggered a kind of asthma attack. So if anyone was wondering why I kept running past the finish line, that’s why. I was fine in 5-10 minutes, but just tired and needed to sit for a bit. So many people to thank, not even going to name all of you – but I hope you know who you are. Except I have to name Pam (Rockenmamaof5) – couldn’t have done it without you – and I can’t believe I finished a marathon and had a great time too!!!! 5:07:35....YaY!!! The Nashville people are great hosts, generous with their time and hospitality. The volunteers were awesome, and the park is truly beautiful. RA – you are the best!!!! Ever since then, at random moments, I get this silly grin on my face and I think….I finished a marathon!!!!! And on my way home, when I was offered a brownie sundae….I smiled, thinking “you ran a marathon yesterday” and enjoyed every bite…..

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

xor

I was kind of expecting the Alaskan to be in a singlet for this race. Smile Wow, another first timer at the monkey! Woohoo! You didn't need to be there any earlier than Start-4 anyway.

Lazy idiot

Cheryl - Congratulations!! It was quite an exciting weekend, and you rocked the race. I hadn't been stalking your log, so I didn't know you hadn't done anything past 15. Nice picture of you stomping on mile 16! Hope you enjoyed that brownie sundae. Time for another, yet? (sundae, or marathon?)

Tick tock

YOU are so amazing!! I think when it comes down to the past couple years when people talk about HTFUING I think of you!! The obstacle's you pushed through without giving up even though it was really hard not too, is amazing!! I NEVER had a doubt that this day would come, and I am so proud that I was able to share it with you! I know there were a few others that impressed me with their monkey accomplishment, but I have to admit YOURS impresses me the most (even if I didn't know you). I hope I have half of the HTFU that you have when I'm 52! CONGRATS again MARATHONER!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hope you don't mind if I include some pictures Big grin Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

LOVE it! All of these race reports are so fantastic! Cheryl, you made the race itself sound so easy...that's really something! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

...that you have when I'm 52!
                Surprised Oh no she di unt! Foul, Pam played the age card! Anyway, congrats, Cheryl, on continuing the journey. Your report screams that the journey is what constitutes the quality of our endevours, not simply the destiniation! Woot! Way to stomp 16, 20, 26!!! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

That's certainly not your typical beginner's marathon course, nothing like choosing a REAL challenge. Amazing job Cheryl, you should be very proud of yourself. I loved the pics, and I know why the monkeys left you alone. Between you and Pam you could dropkick them and they would land about a mile away. Congrats!

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Why is it sideways?

Amen, brother Lynn. Sheer awesomeness, Cheryl.
                      Great report Chinelle........and I loved the pictures too....... You did a trememdous job......keep it up.......you shold be very proud.... Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

#artbydmcbride

Woot!! Congratulations Marathoner! Smile You looked beautiful doing it too. Awesome finish time!

Runners run

You looked beautiful doing it too.
                          Now that I think about it, I'm having a hard time buying 52. I'm guessing the same shop that did the passports and birth certificates for those Chinese Olympic gymnasts is involved, I think some records have been forged.

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Cheryl, AWESOME! Great job, and you looked great doing it! Way to go, girl!!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

The Greatest of All Time

Nice legs Cheryl! It was nice to meet you. Congratulations.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Prince of Fatness

Great job. Congratulations.

Not at it at all.