Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

xor

I read her post.  If it was the post of the small town "red-state" people at the coffee shops that think extreme things,

Modified: Sorry, Re-read the post... yes Bachman and Perry have, what some consider, an extreme view of homosexuals.

Yes.

WHAT SOME WOULD CONSIDER.

(shaking head)

That's why the whole "extremism marking" exercise is stupid.  Some/many folks will find something extreme.  If you do not believe it is extreme, you will say "no, that person does not have extreme views".

What's the freaking point.

mikeymike

No, seriously, just name one for each of the major candidates.

Um, no.  I've never even heard of half those people and even if I had...just...no.  The perception among people who watch politics for a living is that this this field is fairly extreme and going out of its way to appeal to the Tea Party and other very conservative constituencies who pull a lot of weight within the Republican political machine.  If you disagree I'm really okay with that and feel no responsibility to change your mind.

If the analysts are way wrong, then I guess it will sort itself out in the primary and whoever wins will be an extremely electable candidate.

Runners run

mikeymike

If you don't think they are extreme then I guess the Republicans have nothing to worry about.  Their candidate, no matter which one wins, will have the broad-based appeal to win a presidential election.  Problem solved.

Next topic please.

POD

and, hat trick

MTA: Thread moves fast.

Ostrich runner

No, seriously, just name one for each of the major candidates.

I'm not familiar with several of those. Palin, Bachmann, Perry, and Santorum-at least-could be fairly grouped as dominionist theocrats. Fundamentalist religious beliefs are always going to get thrown into the extremist bucket. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Why is it sideways?

Hey, nice marmot!

Q:  "Why is the Republican Field So Extreme?"

A:  The answer is obvious to anyone from the late '90s or early '00s.  If those years taught us nothing else, it's that brand labeling is the quickest way to big, surefire profits.  It can be broken into 3 easy steps:

Step 1:  Label Brand as "Extreme"

Step 2: 

Step 3:  Profit

This is why we had Extreme Energy Drink, Extreme Sports Drinks, Extreme Sports, Extreme Energy Bars, Extreme Video Games, and the short-lived Extreme Relaxation.  Sometimes, companies went by just Xtreme because they were far to extreme to heed spell check warnings. 

Is it any surprise we now have extreme Republicans?  They just want their piece of that Extreme dolla.  Can't say as I blame them.  I believe it was Mother Teresa who said "First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women."  Have to respect a fella with his priorites in order.

Hope this helps!

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Jennifer Barringer Simpson wins World 1500m title.

Dammit! This sort of statement should only be included in a thread with "spoiler alert" in the title. Some of us have to watch on a time delay Angry

Scout7

Q:  "Why is the Republican Field So Extreme?"

A:  The answer is obvious to anyone from the late '90s or early '00s.  If those years taught us nothing else, it's that brand labeling is the quickest way to big, surefire profits.  It can be broken into 3 easy steps:

Step 1:  Label Brand as "Extreme"

Step 2: 

Step 3:  Profit

This is why we had Extreme Energy Drink, Extreme Sports Drinks, Extreme Sports, Extreme Energy Bars, Extreme Video Games, and the short-lived Extreme Relaxation.  Sometimes, companies went by just Xtreme because they were far to extreme to heed spell check warnings. 

Is it any surprise we now have extreme Republicans?  They just want their piece of that Extreme dolla.  Can't say as I blame them.  I believe it was Mother Teresa who said "First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women."  Have to respect a fella with his priorites in order.

Hope this helps!

This had to be quoted for the sheer awesomeness of the references involved.

Well done, sir.  Well done, indeed.

Why is it sideways?

Dammit! This sort of statement should only be included in a thread with "spoiler alert" in the title. Some of us have to watch on a time delay Angry

Hint: don't go to running websites if you don't want running news.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

As for Republicans doing strange things, see: Palin for VP.  And I don't mean today's "Palin" product.  I mean what we knew when she got added to the ticket.

Surely that was just laziness. SURELY they've learned their lesson -- vet your candidate. I mean, surely everyone has learned that lesson. Even you bozos on a running board know that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

MrH

Isn't it as simple as this: Obama has captured the middle, and he's too strong there to meet head on. The only option is to run on the edge and hope the middle isn't exciting enough to turn people out.

Sitting in a state which swung to Obama in 2008, my perception, acquired through rigorous market research (drinking beer with neighbors in suburbia), is that Obama didn't so much capture the middle, is that the middle (which included lifelong Republicans) ran in disgust from a party that would put Palin on the ticket.

We'll see if the Republican Party has learned their lesson this time, or will rely on someone who'll bring the fringe out and hope that a bad economy keeps enough of the left and middle way from the polling stations. If I were them, I'd pick someone who wasn't so offensive to the middle. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.