More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

the namba videos I found on youtube all have a counterbalance fuction of upper body motion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vke1N0k9xs&feature=related

Everything is about saving energy, and 15% of it is wasted in upper body motion. The more out of balance you run, the more counterbalance energy needs to be expended in spatial control

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...Running is probably one of the most clear-cut event; you run from point A to point B and see who gets there fastest.  There's no such event like "who's got the highest VO2Max" or "who runs fastest with the lowest amount of VO2Max" or "who runs marathon fastest after fasting for 3 days."  We all get to the start line at the same time and, boom, you take off and see who gets to the finish line first.  And that is the rule.

For humans.

But s.j. likes to bring up animals. I would suggest that there is another, extremely popular, way the race is run, in the animal kingdom. I don't know that this is at all relevant, but it is fun to describe Smile

Here's a simple version. You have two competitors. One is the "chasee", and we'll denote this one as H. One is the "chaser", and we'll denote this one as P.

The rules are pretty standardized -- I think -- and I think they run like so:

C has to start a ways away from H. Say 200M. C can try to sneak up, if he can manage it. The race starts whenever either of them decides to start running (or race-walking, or whatever). C wins if he catches up with H -- at any time. H wins if C gives up. No time limit, no distance limit.

I don't think super-efficient walking technique is going to help H. It may help C.

But for either to win, I'd guess they need either (1) superior sprinting speed, or (2) nearly equal sprinting speed and superior endurance.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And PS, speaking of videos, how about a video of this alleged super-efficient walking technique? A picture being worth so many words, and so forth....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Nobby,  Sport Jester and Richard are very similar, except that Sport Jester has more severe psychological issues.  You may not have taken in his ravings before but if you wasted your time reading this whole thread and those others (you have better things to do!!) you'd understand why he gets jumped on so quickly.

As I said to you in an earlier post, the problem is much like Richard's -- he takes kernels of truth, in this case the fact that it is better to run efficiently and form affects efficiency, and perverts it to his own ends.  Worse, you can't have any sort of discussion with him as it just results in a flurry of insults and egotistical rantings and name-dropping.  

If you look closely at all the encounters he mentions with companies and famous coaches/athletes they are all the same:  Sports Jester is a genius and they just don't recognize it.  It's classic crackpot mentality.  He's the smartest man in any room he walks into although, as the article dnephin found about him indicates, he can't hold a decent job or function well in society.  I'm sure he has a decent IQ but there is more to intelligence and knowledge than raw IQ.  If you were to ask the other party in all of these encounters what actually happened, I think a very different picture of those interactions would emerge.

You are right however, I'm normally nicer than to pick on a guy with mental issues.  I guess dealing with the moron I'm trying to return this item to that was ordered by the guy who stole my credit card number has put me in a mean mood the past couple days.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Imminent Catastrophe

"Many years ago, in a less enlightened age, some people entertained themselves by visiting lunatic asylums in Washington, D.C. and making fun of the inmates. It was a cruel and inhumane exercise. Things have changed dramatically for the better as we have evolved and lunatics are no longer confined"

MTA: Plagiarized from the interwebs. But still germane to this thread.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

dennrunner

Having spent time testing and validating what I teach with Nike's sports research lab, Salazar knew what I do. I asked him to improve me; and the fact stands he couldn't do it.

I can see that.

Feeling the growl again

"Many years ago, in a less enlightened age, some people entertained themselves by visiting lunatic asylums in Washington, D.C. and making fun of the inmates. It was a cruel and inhumane exercise. Things have changed dramatically for the better as we have evolved and lunatics are no longer confined"

Yup.  Now you don't need to leave your own house.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

17 pages of arguing with a crazy person...who's really crazy, here...? Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

17 pages of arguing with a crazy person...who's really crazy, here...? Confused

Yes, guilty....guess I've rubbernecked the occasional fender bender too...

Am I doing this right?

Yes, guilty....guess I've rubbernecked the occasional fender bender too...

Whoa!  I go fishing for one day and this thing rolls along like a snowball, picking up innocent bystanders.

No excuses....

Whoa!  I go fishing for one day and this thing rolls along like a snowball, picking up innocent bystanders.

No one is an innocent bystander on this thread Wink I'm just along for the ride, and while I'm glad my 3.2 seconds of googling revealed something about our Jester, I am saddened no one took note of the fact that I machine washed my Garmin 305 and it still works.

Hope you caught some fish. I haven't fished since October. And I used to fish almost weekly. Sad.

I am saddened no one took note of the fact that I machine washed my Garmin 305 and it still works.

I took note...I just didn't comment.  My Garmin is on its last leg I fear so I'm actually pondering washing it to see if perhaps that fixes it.

Hope you caught some fish. I haven't fished since October. And I used to fish almost weekly. Sad.

Were there fish in your washing machine along with your Garmin? That could explain a lot.

xor

I took note...I just didn't comment.  My Garmin is on its last leg I fear so I'm actually pondering washing it to see if perhaps that fixes it.

My garmin is too.

As is my TV.  You know what sets my television right (at least for a little bit)?  Smacking it.

Seriously.  I remember that being a valid strategy for tube televisions and certain issues in the 70s.  But here I am whacking my TV in 2011 when it freaks out, and it straightens up.  For a little while.

Oh, and I ran 31 miles today.  30 in shoes, seeing some of the sights of seattle.  The last mile was barefoot on the treadmill.

Sadly, it was pointed out to me that I moved my arms.  After 30 miles, that aspect completely slipped me mind.

xor

INCIDENTALLY.

It's one thing to flog the bishop in this thread by engaging sport jester, knowing in advance what the responses will be.

I've a question.

The name.

sport jester

It's hard enough to take you seriously based on the content of your posts and your discussion tactics, but I do wonder about that name.  Why do you call yourself "jester"?  Your posting persona seems to be deadly serious about the stuff you/it posts.  But there's that name.

Either:

1. It's your subtle way of showing your hand as a troll

-or-

2. It's your unsubtle way of showing your self awareness regarding how you come across as perhaps being from the dark side of the moon.

-or-

3. Some reason I can't figure out.

Anyway, it doesn't help. But I'm sure you know that.