Running cured my ____(fill in the blank) (Read 1174 times)

Elevated cholesterol and poor cholesterol ratio (low HDL or "good cholesterol"). Four years ago, my cholesterol was 263 with a ratio (total cholesterol over HDL) of 6.0. (healthy targets are 200 with a ratio of 5 or less) Now it's at 146 with a ratio of 3.3. It isn't all running - a lower-fat diet and a low dose of Lipitor has helped reduce the LDL ("bad cholesterol"). However, running has helped in the HDL department. I now have HDL readings in the mid-to-high 40s where they were in the 30s beforehand.
      Depression, insomnia.
      PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?
      mikeymike

Hangover. Many times, actually.

Runners run

eating poorly. The more I run, the healthier I want to eat.

Feeling the growl again

Take your pick.... stress fatness laziness lack of motivation lack of energy risk of heart problems lack of self-confidence non-athleticism

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

... boredom, addiction to smoking

Ryan

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

3.5 years ago my bloodwork #s: Overall Cholesterol: 154 HDL: 42 LDL: 91 Triglycerides: 107 1 year ago: Cholesterol: 154 (unchanged, heh) HDL: 70 LDL: 77 Tris: 36 BP generally ~ 100/60 I'd be curious to see what my #s look like now. I'm not sure they can get much better than they were a year ago...and I am still ~20#s over what is considered ideal weight for my height and build. As far as what running has cured...hmmm...I don't think I had set very high goals for myself in terms of fitness pre-running. I still don't *look* fit, but I can outrun probably at least 90% of my peers, even at my slow pace.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hangover. Many times, actually.
                  I think I should go running today.
                    eating poorly. The more I run, the healthier I want to eat.
                    Yes! How weird is this?! It's like a paradox. The more exercise you do, the better you eat, the less exercise you NEED to do, but still want to run! But ditto is also true: the worse you eat, the less you want to run, the worse you eat..etc.
                      Well, how about cured my pack a day for 30 years of smoking! Clean air for the last 14 months.
                        my tobacco addiction. Smoke free for almost a year.

Maggie & Molly

*stress *PMS *smoking addiction (8 yrs smoke free thank you very much) *feeling in a funk a good run takes care of all of that and then some. I think it may have simply 'cured me' Big grin

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Cause I CAN

From thinking I can't run....
                            Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                            http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                            TooHot2Trot

Homosexuality. Now I'm out looking for kitty like every other red-blooded American male. Evil grin
                                Homosexuality. Now I'm out looking for kitty like every other red-blooded American male. Evil grin
                                Huh??????