My get-up-and-go... (Read 857 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nobody listens to me...but those "get a grip" ice cleats are the way to go! CHeap...take them on or off...not too heavy like the stabelicers...and cling to ice so you can run up rivers. Way to HTFU and get out there zz...I stills got to get out and its cold and icy!
    I thought those "get-a-grip" ones were something like $50--no? I wouldn't even try Stabilicers, either, since I have heard from a couple sources that they don't fit wide shoes well at all. It's such a bummer after all I went through to get a pair of these dumb NB shoes, only to have them not fit my heel right. It wouldn't be such a pisser if they didn't work well, but they are astounding, especially on ice. Unreal how well those spikes grab. And so warm, too. If they fit better they'd be the ultimate shoe for cold climates. Hopefully I can duct tape the spot over a band-aid until it is fully healed and eventually get them to loosen-up on that spot. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

YOU ARE my motivation! Hope this doesn't creep you out but I lurked at this site a long time before I started using the tools on it and you were always such an inspiration to me! Maybe it is because we are the same age...but I am always impressed with your motivation and successes! Big grin That being said an extra day off never hurt anyone...as long as others don't follow it!
      That's right--Kirsten is a rock star!! Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

...would have gone further, but I was having balaclava and shoe issues...
        Get up and go just got up and went? Well it's no wonder, if you're having balaclava issues. I bet most of the world's problems can be traced back to balaclava issues. If those Mideast negotiators would stop blaming the same old problems, and investigate possible balaclava issues... Now get your buns out the door, knifey and countless others are relying on you. Smile

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's right--Kirsten is a rock star!! Big grin
          Well, I did party like one Sat. night (I'm almost 35...that's no easy feat, nowadays)...which is one reason I didn't run yesterday! Evil grin Ed, I did get out for a run, but my shoe issues returned, so I ran a little over 1, then walked back home wincing all the way. Gah, I think I need to just wear plain ol' shoes that I love and buy cheapy Yak Trax. Dumb hard-too-fit feets o' mine... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

I thought those "get-a-grip" ones were something like $50--no? I wouldn't even try Stabilicers, either, since I have heard from a couple sources that they don't fit wide shoes well at all. It's such a bummer after all I went through to get a pair of these dumb NB shoes, only to have them not fit my heel right. It wouldn't be such a pisser if they didn't work well, but they are astounding, especially on ice. Unreal how well those spikes grab. And so warm, too. If they fit better they'd be the ultimate shoe for cold climates. Hopefully I can duct tape the spot over a band-aid until it is fully healed and eventually get them to loosen-up on that spot. k
            I buy them for $22 and I heart them
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...I was thinking of some sort of attachment that someone had posted a while back that were...I think, about $50. I'm sure they work well, but that's $$ for something that doesn't include shoes. Though at the moment they seem like a bargain if it means working as well as the 921s AND being able to wear them with any shoe that fits me well.

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

Zoom-zoom... I know what the problem is!!! It's almost easier to HTFU then it is to motivate yourself out the door for an easy run.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom-zoom... I know what the problem is!!! It's almost easier to HTFU then it is to motivate yourself out the door for an easy run.
                  Really, it's true! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

K, did you try on the Asics Gel Arctic WR when you were hunting for winter shoes? That's what I have been running in: They only come in mens sizes I think, but that might work for you (you have wide feet anyway if I remember). I have worn them on snow, slush, and glare ice and have always felt perfectly stable. They are not as waterproof as I would like, but with a pair of wool socks, they have been great for me this winter. Cool Oh yeah, stop fricking whining about the cold--my local news program was just talking to the meteorologist stationed up on Mt Washington in New Hampshire and up there this morning it was 26 below with sustained winds of 70 mph and gusts up to 100 mph. Now THAT'S good running weather! Wink

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

ShanHas, that's downright wise! All hail ShanHas! (bowing smilie here)
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

K, did you try on the Asics Gel Arctic WR when you were hunting for winter shoes? That's what I have been running in: They only come in mens sizes I think, but that might work for you (you have wide feet anyway if I remember). I have worn them on snow, slush, and glare ice and have always felt perfectly stable. They are not as waterproof as I would like, but with a pair of wool socks, they have been great for me this winter. Cool Oh yeah, stop fricking whining about the cold--my local news program was just talking to the meteorologist stationed up on Mt Washington in New Hampshire and up there this morning it was 26 below with sustained winds of 70 mph and gusts up to 100 mph. Now THAT'S good running weather! Wink
                        Hah, yeah...it's frigging HOT here compared to that stuff...yikes! I actually had looked at the Asics shoes (never found a pair locally to try on), but women's wide Asics don't fit me well, so I didn't figure I'd have much luck with the men's. Men's shoes tend to be wider through the heels, which is my problem--I have wide toes, but narrow heels. did brought home a pair of YakTrax for me to try, so I'm sure putting them on my 902s will do the job. My feet won't be as nice and toasty as in the 921s, but I will still have traction and no bloody spots. Once that spot heals over some I will probably take to taping the spot that's getting rubbed so that I can try to keep wearing the shoes. They are really nice when it's particularly cold and treacherous. k

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

I'm konfuzed. Confused

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm konfuzed. Confused
                            These shoes that I went through hell to get my hands on (first special ordered pair were too small, sent them back but company wouldn't special order next size up, found them elsewhere, then plastic blanks proved impossible to remove, so I couldn't use the steel spikes and had to return them to NB. Finally got a useable pair, loved the performance, but the fit left a lot to be desired on my left foot--I think because that heel moves more with pronation): If I like the YakTrax I will plan to just get a GoreTex trail shoe or something warmer next Winter and say nuts on the spikes. k

~ Sarah Kay

Oh yeah, stop fricking whining about the cold--my local news program was just talking to the meteorologist stationed up on Mt Washington in New Hampshire and up there this morning it was 26 below with sustained winds of 70 mph and gusts up to 100 mph. Now THAT'S good running weather! Wink
                              Yeah, you gotta be NUTS to be up there. Here's a pic of "New Hampshire's Top Cat", this fine feline could probably use some yak trax. When I went to the observatory’s web site for the cat pic, I found this description of the day: The building has been making some strange sounds today. Rather than the usual wind induced rumble we have been hearing cracks and thuds as the metal support beams and steel reinforced concrete contracts in the cold Arctic air mass that moved in overnight. Some of the cracks have been quite impressive and really make you wonder what kind of stresses the beams are experiencing. Some of the thuds make you wonder if the beams are about to give up and come crashing down! I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a valid excuse to hit the dreadmill.

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Beatin' on the Rock

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a valid excuse to hit the dreadmill.
                                Tight lipped Southwest Florida was cold today, too. Really, it was! I had to wear a long sleeve shirt! Tongue
                                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.