Got a Garmin 405 for Christmas - Now it All Makes Sense. (Read 1083 times)

I ran in the St Judes Marathon on Dec 6th, and trained for about 5 or 6 months. So, I want to preface this by saying, I have come a long way Since May/June. I trained primarily on a walking/jogging trail that posted where your mile marks were. I would train there all during the week and feel GREAT about my times, distances, etc...but then I would get to my group long runs and would really struggle. Especially when I plugged my daily runs into these calculators that were suppose to tell me what my pace should be at longer distances. Well, I got a Garmin 405 for Christmas and went on a run in my subdivision and it went great. Then this morning I hit my traditional track, and I was SHOCKED at how off the track was in distance. I was going on a 5 mile run but when I reached the mile marker my Garmin read something like 4.20 - I had to run another alternate loop just to make sure I got the 5. Knowing this now puts my marathon experience into perspective. I finished but was a little dissappointed in my time, but knowing that when I thought I was running 35 miles in a week I really only ran 28-30 makes the 1st marathon make ALOT of sense. Sorry, just had to vent. But my next marathon is March 13 in Little Rock, AR. I should be better prepared now.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Imminent Catastrophe

It's a great device but one warning--don't trust the "pace" readout, it's not accurate. Some people set auto-lap and display lap pace, that seems to be pretty accurate. The instantaneous pace display is not, however.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

If you are on a standard round track your garmin may be inaccurate. They don't resolve curves very well.
        mikeymike

If you are on a standard round track your garmin may be inaccurate. They don't resolve curves very well.
          If a mouse pisses on cotton, who hears it? Who...hears it?

Runners run

Go Pre!

Horton?
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

He's not running on a regular track, it's a poorly marked trail.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If a Globule shits in the woods...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

I think Heiddegers fundamental ontology explains quite well what's going on here, at least from my perspective:
                  The ontological character of moods as modes of findedness is manifested in this disclosure of Dasein’s thrownness. Dasein finds itself as thrown into its Being. This means that Dasein finds itself as thrown into (a) the burndensomeness of its Being, (b) the facticity of its Being (that it is and has to be, with its whence and wither concealed), and (c) a certain “how it is.” The full implications of this disclosure, however, is something that Dasein for the most part turns away from. Dasein turns away from the burden of its factical Being. This turning away form thrownness is a “closing off” of Dasein’s thrownness, rather than a “disclosure of” it. this “closing off” is in the strictest sense not the opposite of “disclosing,” but a privative mode of it. Disclosure, for Heidegger, has two modes: the positive mode in which we “turn towards” [Ankehr] a phenomenon, and a privative mode in which we “turn away” [Abkehr] from a phenomenon (Sein und Zeit 135). “Turning away” discloses because, in order to turn away form something, the “something” must be “there” as something we can turn away from. The phenomenon is disclosed as that which we are turning away from. In this concept of “turning away” we see in an incipient fashion Sarte’s concept of “bad faith” [mauvaise foi]. Sarte writes in L’Etre et le Neant that in bad faith we are conscious of something “precisely in order not to be conscious of it.”

Runners run

xor

<obscure> Q: These tracks. Do they come in funny shapes and all? A: Well, no. Unless round is funny. </obscure>

mikeymike

...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.

Runners run

...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.
                        And we liked it. PS - How's your lunch Mikey?

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

mikeymike

And we liked it. PS - How's your lunch Mikey?
                          Sadly lacking in food, apparently. PS - to BenBuck6, this was not meant to pick on you...you were just the innocent victim of some swamp leakage.

Runners run

Scout7

swamp leakage.
                            They make creams for that. Instead of enabling you, perhaps Trent should be dispensing some of said cream.
                            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

They make creams for that. Instead of enabling you, perhaps Trent should be dispensing some of said cream.
                              Hey, nice to see that you climbed off my mom long enough to pay a visit.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.