Runners Age More Slowly, Study Says (Read 998 times)

http://www.nbc6.net/health/17179050/detail.html

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AroundTheHorn

Long live the kings.....
      Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.

~Gordo~

Yeah, but running is still bad for your knees! Tongue
        !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
          Think I've been shedding years.

Vim

Its a good thing because at my age Im beginning to need more years......... Confused

Champions are made when no one is watching

seeEricaRun

Awesome

What I hate is when my uterus falls out.

~Gordo~

What I hate is when my uterus falls out.
                Ouch, that sounds that painful.
                !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Today's physical exam was the best one I've ever had. The doctor looked at my weight the past few years (down more than 30 pounds in three years) and said, "Remarkable job," twice! All my stats are excellent, and I've grown half an inch! 5'-9" sounds better than 5'-8 1/2". I told him it's the running. My total cholesterol has gone up, but the good stuff went up much more than the bad stuff, so I'm fine. I definitely feel younger than I did three years ago! Now I just go to the mall and people-watch to find the motivation to keep pounding the streets! Shocked
                    my week: Sun: 8.5 mile long run Mon: Weight lifting followed by 3.75 mile easy run Tues: 6.3 mile steady run in the morning, hockey game at night Wed: biked 50 minutes Today: Leg workout, 3.3 mile easy run Now I'm at work and feel tired and kinda old. Must have been the hockey, weights and cycling. Maybe I should stop those. Tongue

I've grown half an inch! 5'-9" sounds better than 5'-8 1/2". I told him it's the running. Shocked
                      WOW - I didnt know that running made you taller.......I was going to go for a little 3 miler tonght, but now I think instead Ill run around 350 miles or so....cause I need to streach my 5' 6" body just a little....I want to be 6' tall......Thanks for the tip Theresa...... Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

No problem, John! Just think, now my BMI is lower than it was! Wink Wink
                          No problem, John! Just think, now my BMI is lower than it was! Wink Wink
                          I need to work on the BMI too...you are an inspiration to me now..... Wink

Go Daddy

Five years after double valve replacement, my Cardiologist reviewed my latest echo exam and told me this morning that I had the heart muscle of a 25 year old and good luck on your marathon.... but that was after he scared the crap out of me Tuesday when he said that he thought he heard a murmur and I may need to reduce my training. Life is sweet However, my height has not changed...maybe I'm not doing enough hills.
                            jingchunyu

The time magazine has a report on this same study. It has runners do not have significant worse joints compared with others. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1832033,00.html quote For avid runners, more good news: the study found no significant difference between the condition of joints in pavement pounders and their more sedentary peers. Looking at X-rays and arthritis rates, Chakravarty says, "there was clearly no difference."

~Gordo~

The time magazine has a report on this same study. It has runners do not have significant worse joints compared with others.
                                My "knee" and Erica's "uterus" comment were both laced heavily in sarcasm...