? re: moving time on Garmin vs. MB -- which is correct? (Read 1027 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I noticed a pretty large difference between my "moving time" displayed on my 305 by the end of my run when compared to what MB recorded. According to my Garmin I ran for 2:35:01. But MB shows 2:35:37. That's a pretty big discrepancy, IMO. I had to stop a few times for traffic and to go potty and stretch a bit, but each time I stopped my Garmin and restarted when I started moving again. My total time was 2:42:54. Any ideas?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I get similar discrepancies sometimes. Which one is correct? I don't know. And I've seen both display the longer time. All I know is in my log - I record whichever one is faster. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I get similar discrepancies sometimes. Which one is correct? I don't know. And I've seen both display the longer time. All I know is in my log - I record whichever one is faster. Smile
        I think I will start doing that, too. Woot! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I ran for 2:35:01. But MB shows 2:35:37. That's a pretty big discrepancy, IMO. I had to stop a few times for traffic and to go potty and stretch a bit
          You stopped a few times for traffic, stretched a bit, and went potty in 36 seconds? (2:35:37-2:35:01)? DAMN! Surprised I always go by the time on the device and ignore the others. MTA: I wonder if moving time includes the time after you finally stop and before you reset to save the run.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You stopped a few times for traffic, stretched a bit, and went potty in 36 seconds? (2:35:37-2:35:01)? DAMN! Surprised I always go by the time on the device and ignore the others.
            *kick*
            My total time was 2:42:54.
            So what is MB good for, again...? Wink So trust MB for distance, since it corrects for elevation, and trust the actual Garmin for time... Sounds like a good plan! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: I wonder if moving time includes the time after you finally stop and before you reset to save the run.
              Not sure...I usually hit stop while I am still moving, then slow down and walk. Sometimes my total time and moving time are the same. Usually takes me a few seconds to go from hitting stop to reset, so I'm thinking there's no issue there.

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

So what is MB good for, again...? Wink
                Cool shiny graphs. Duh.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool shiny graphs. Duh.
                  Well, that, too. Once RA has its own uploader MB will be obsolete. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Not sure...I usually hit stop while I am still moving, then slow down and walk. Sometimes my total time and moving time are the same. Usually takes me a few seconds to go from hitting stop to reset, so I'm thinking there's no issue there.
                    If your looking at the moving time it still records movement when you've stopped it IF you restart it afterwards. Say you stop for a potty break but you hit stop 50 feet from bathroom it will include those seconds it took to walk the 50 feet.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

JakeKnight

Well, that, too. Once RA has its own uploader MB will be obsolete. Smile
                      We'll see. I'll need to check the graphs. I need graphs. I can't run without graphs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If your looking at the moving time it still records movement when you've stopped it IF you restart it afterwards. Say you stop for a potty break but you hit stop 50 feet from bathroom it will include those seconds it took to walk the 50 feet.
                        But it's not counting the distance, right...? So the time on the Garmin is accurate, not MB...? My head hurts. Confused Dead

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We'll see. I'll need to check the graphs. I need graphs. I can't run without graphs.
                          That's 'cause in TN your elevation graphs are interesting. Ours look like this: -----^----------v-----^------v-----u-----^--------u----^----- Yours look like this: ^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V^V--^V^V^V^V^V---^V^V^V^ Wink

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

But it's not counting the distance, right...? So the time on the Garmin is accurate, not MB...? My head hurts. Confused Dead
                            Ok, I think the distance on MB is moving distance only. I use the MB distance for my log. But I always use the time on the device for log time.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Garmin will keep track BOTH of time and distance that you moved while device is stopped. IT WON"T show on Garmin only on Motion based under the time moving. To make it easier Lets say I ran 13. 1 miles but took two pit stops. I stopped watch both times 50 feet before porta potty and didn't start it until after done doing my business and taking a few minutes to stretch. I stop running and stop the watch at 13.1 miles and power garmin off. Upload the run onto MB and under moving time it shows the extra feet and the seconds it took me to walk too and from the porta potty as well as the seconds that I may have moved while stretching.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I guess I don't understand why it would record the time and distance when it's "stopped." Why bother stopping it?

~ Sarah Kay