? re: moving time on Garmin vs. MB -- which is correct? (Read 1027 times)

I guess I don't understand why it would record the time and distance when it's "stopped." Why bother stopping it?
    I think it has to do with the satalite etc. If you stop it and walk to car and then turn it off or reset it, it won't record anything after you stopped it. Only if you restarted the garmin after stopping it.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it has to do with the satalite etc. If you stop it and walk to car and then turn it off or reset it, it won't record anything after you stopped it. Only if you restarted the garmin after stopping it.
      Ok...that makes sense. Now I wonder how accurate my time and distance is on some of my longer runs, though...when I have to stop for traffic or to pee. I try to start back from where I stopped, but I know the time is off, so the distance should be right...correct?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

Ok...that makes sense. Now I wonder how accurate my time and distance is on some of my longer runs, though...when I have to stop for traffic or to pee. I try to start back from where I stopped, but I know the time is off, so the distance should be right...correct?
        I stop mine for pit-stops never during a race.

Bugs

You can either take the distance and time that Garmin gives you or the distance & time that Motion Based gives you for moving time gives you. I've kind of stopped using motion based.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

obiebyke

Hey zz and others-- A couple of options to deal with this: 1) Go into your settings and make sure you have it set to auto-pause when you're not moving + 2) When you're going to start a pit stop or whatever, when you'll be moving but not counting towards your workout, press "lap" instead of "start/stop" and do it again when you're restarting the workout. Then just ignore/delete those laps when you upload the run later.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Auto pause...I thought of using that before I got my Garmin, but I swear someone around here said it was a problematic feature...maybe that it wouldn't un-pause reliably...? I will have to look for that.

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

I can't believe I never picked up on this. I was discouraged the other day after my long run because the time & some of the paces didn't seem right. So, when I hit stop & had to go behind the tree or wherever that I hid my water & gatorade & drink it - even though I had hit stop : because I was moving, it added that in? Does it just apply to elasped time & distance? What about pace? If I ran an 8:30 pace but took 30 seconds for the pit stop - does it end up looking like a 9:00 for that mile when it's downloaded?

peace

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

2:35:01 =9301 s 36/9301 = 0.38705515535963874852166433716805% There is probably more error in the instruments than that, so I think you are good with either time.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, it's still 2 seconds/mile...I gotta take every bit I can! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

Auto pause...I thought of using that before I got my Garmin, but I swear someone around here said it was a problematic feature...maybe that it wouldn't un-pause reliably...? I will have to look for that.
                      I find it problematic myself. It would keep stopping when it shouldn't etc. I only tried it for two runs actually, and then shut it back off. My thought process on the whole thing is that hopefully the 30 seconds per run that I lose is not going to be a huge difference when it comes time to run my next marathon. If it's accurate within 1-2% in time/distance, that is close enough for me. Cool

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

mikeymike

I go with the time on the watch. I'm pretty sure that's right. MB seems to add time sometimes. But I've pretty much stopped using MB as well. Hell I've pretty much stopped using my Garmin for that matter.

Runners run

JakeKnight

I find it problematic myself. It would keep stopping when it shouldn't etc.
                          Ditto. It turned out to be a pain in the ass. Constantly stopping when I wasn't fully stopped, or not starting when I started up again. Easier to just stop it when I feel like it. If I forget sometimes, oh well.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

an amazing likeness

I guess I don't understand why it would record the time and distance when it's "stopped." Why bother stopping it?
                            This is a real common topic on the MB forums, Zoomie. If you head over there and enter "moving time" as a search on the FAQ forum, there's a gazillion different situations and explainations. I've never seen a 100% definite answer, however.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I've used my Garmin in a HM and Marathon now, and for both races I found it measured the courses as apx. 0.2-0.3 miles longer than the race is. Since we're on the topic of Garmin accuracy, has anyone else experienced this? I know not taking proper tangents around corners adds distance... but 0.2-0.3 miles worth of distance?
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've used my Garmin in a HM and Marathon now, and for both races I found it measured the courses as apx. 0.2-0.3 miles longer than the race is. Since we're on the topic of Garmin accuracy, has anyone else experienced this? I know not taking proper tangents around corners adds distance... but 0.2-0.3 miles worth of distance?
                                That doesn't sound so far off spread over the course of a HM or marathon. Especially if you spent any time early in a race having to weave-around to pass people.

~ Sarah Kay