Motivation..............any advice (Read 1493 times)

Hey, Eddy - I'm sure that many will relate to your situation. I am one of those that has to get up well before dawn in order to run (4:40AM --it is BRUTAL)...I've got three kids and work full time - simply no other space in the day for a run! I will say though, that as tough as I find it to run in the cold (Boston) and the dark, it is wonderful to begin the day with what feels like a real accomplishment. Whatever the outcome of the day, it's a powerful feeling to know that I started it with something so good for my physical and emotional well-being. I do WW, too - while my miles per week are very skimpy by the standards of most who use this particular site, eating healthfully and exercising on a regular basis have helped me to lose 20 pounds in five months. I'd like to lose 5 more pounds or so, and have the feeling that this will only happen with an increase in my miles. Slow and steady... I think that you'll probably find that by acting in a more healthy and conscientious way in the one area (whether it be in terms of eating OR exercise), will reinforce better habits in the other. Good luck to you!
      Oops - can I add something else? For me, it has helped enormously to schedule my runs with a friend - in this case, my SIL. While I could have very easily have talked myself out of running this AM (total darkness and 36 degrees), I would not have dreamed of letting her down! Can you find a partner?

an amazing likeness

Eddy, The feedback I'd offer is to set your goal on do something everyday. Don't always judge your success or failure by what you did or some speed or mileage goal -- judge it be doing something. Anything. A walk, a short run, a long run, a long walk, a skip, a hop-jump-and-leap, whatever. Consistency will breed better results and results will beat away depression. I avoid having even having the concept of a day off to let me start sliding backward.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Non ducor, duco.

grow up and act like an adult. works for me.
          He knoweth of which he speaks. There is no other answer.
          Buzz-

Any of you got any motivational ideas to see me through the temptations of slacking with the training and diet - (I am going to try to get more miles in but it means up in the freezing cold at 5am). How do you guys do it?
            Sometimes lack of motivation is just boredom in disguise. You might try some fitness activities that are not specifically running. Anything you like that is a healthy alternative-- strength training, basketball, football/soccer, group classes, yoga, whatever. Another good motivator for me is to set a goal, then treat myself to something new when I accomplish the goal. Could be new shoes, hat, sunglasses, or whatever I need/want that is exercise related. Honestly, it is stuff I'd probably buy eventually anyway but this gets me a bit of motivation out of it. On diet: I find that if I exercise [i]before[/i] lunch or dinner, I am not as hungry and am more likely to make healthy choices.
              On diet: I find that if I exercise [i]before[/i] lunch or dinner, I am not as hungry and am more likely to make healthy choices.
              This is true for me too.
              -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                Sometimes lack of motivation is just boredom in disguise.
                So true. Is there an album/audiobook you've thinking about getting? You might want to buy/borrow it for your runs and that may give running a new excitement for you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

FutureIronMan

Well....about 14 months ago i weight at my peak at 330lbs.....i felt fat...couldnt move..lazy...unhappy....cloths didnt fit...horrible..i am 24yr old....i shouldnt be this way....i work for an organization that help kids with cancer....help them go thru it...help the parents...sibling...basically a friend we are...and this one kid out in south carolina (i live in ny), use to say roy u r not fat...u r very healthy and he meant it (though all of us just laughed)....14 months ago when i started running...i have his face...name is grant...hearing his voice roy u r healthy....i am now down 85 pounds and ran a half marathon....i run still but started over cuz took a break for few months.... YES WE CAN!!!! believe in urself...know that u r doing something for a greater cause...for urself and believe it or not for everyone around you...
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

.i am now down 85 pounds and ran a half marathon....i run still but started over cuz took a break for few months....
                    Great accomplishments, and good job getting back in the saddle after a break Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am shooting for a mileage goal -- so a lot of the time I feel like I need to go out and get mileage in so my week has enough in it. At least that keeps me going out, even if it sounds like kind of a silly reason.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Go watch Rocky I again. My FAVORITE motivational scene is where he goes out for a run at 4am in the cold and dark streets of Philly. He's grabbing his side, shuffling along.
                        Big grin

Old, Slow, Happy

I push hard, get off my ass and get out the door. Sorry I don't have anything deep or poetic, but that's pretty much it.
                          +1 Get it up and get it moving. You gotta do it when you want to and do it when you don't want to. If you don't do it, you'll always wish you did. If you do it, you'll never regret it. Do it so you can live with yourself.
                            Any of you got any motivational ideas to see me through the temptations of slacking with the training and diet - (I am going to try to get more miles in but it means up in the freezing cold at 5am). How do you guys do it?
                            I could NEVER get up and go out for long runs at 5AM.......so my advice would be to try and locate a better time to run (I know there are lots and lots of early AM runners that may disagree). All I'm saying here is I know I couldnt do it and the time of day would be my biggest issue......just my $.02. I'd try to find a better time of day to run......lunch or right after work....

Champions are made when no one is watching

nextyearcubs

You worked hard to get to where you are, and you aren't about to give it all back.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

jules2

Firstly join the UK Runners Forum. Secondly what is your goal, according to your log you run a lot of miles already and at quite a fast pace so how much better do you want to get?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.