Updated - Question about Spring Run for Fun at Redmond Watershed for WA runner's. (Read 86 times)

PressingOn

Hi all!  I'm running the Spring Run for Fun at Redmond Watershed on Sunday.  As the race approaches I'm beginning to wonder if I should take the early start.  I'm a slower runner.  My PR was in Nov. at Seattle and was a 4:53.  I know this is supposed to be a good race for beginning trail runner's, of which I am, and am curious as to how much slower I could expect to be on this particular course.  Will the early start be necessary?  And if not necessary, maybe a better experience as far as possibly not crossing the finish line alone and last?  Not that I mind being last (too much - ha) but I don't want to be lonely out there if I don't have to be.  Then again, if it's not necessary I'd just as soon start with everyone else.

I suppose I should also mention I ran the Woolley marathon on Feb 16th so the legs may still be a bit fatigued.  I've never run races so close together before (this is a maniac push) so I'm not sure how my body will respond.  If it flips out I could be really slow.  Surprised  I don't think that will be the case as I took Woolley very, very slow on purpose and feel pretty good but hey, I'm still a bit nervous.  Any thoughts or words of wisdom from those who have run the Redmond Watershed?  Thanks!

Regular ass person

I've run Watershed 4 or 5 times. It's very, very beginner friendly. Eric is a good friend of mine and respects runners of all levels. He also doesn't make any sort of requirements for his early start. If you early start, you'll be among runners of all levels. If you don't, you probably still won't be last.

I was supposed to be there also, but something else came up. Just relax, have a great time, and enjoy the beautiful trails.

PressingOn

Thanks Kaypee!  I'm looking forward to running through the beautiful tree's.  Guess my concern comes from not knowing how much the trail will slow me down (not that I'm aiming for a PR or anything) and not taking the early start at The Woolley run.  I was 3rd to last marathoner to cross the finish line as others in my pace started early.  It was okay as there were 50k runner's behind me but there are no 50k runner's here. lol  After talking with my dh, who is doing the 5 miler, I've opted for the normal start.  He wants more time after his run to go home, shower, get some stuff done and come back for me.  If I'm last, I'm last!  It'll still be fun.

seattlechica

Good luck! You should post an update on how it went - I've been doing my long runs at Lake Youngs and would love to try some more trail running!
          PressingOn

Here's a link to my rr if anyone wants to read it.  The short of it is this was a fun race!  I encountered a few challenges and obstacles, a lot went wrong, but I had a good attitude about it, managed to finish and had a good time.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/marathoner_dailies/forum/Post/37864ec7b2df4f7e9bcf11a644e61df8#focus

seattlechica

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you managed to tough it out and finish after getting an ocular migraine in the middle of the race...  I have only had one of those twice before and it was terrifying (especially the first time since I didn't know wtf was happening)!  What an inspirational race report Smile

PressingOn

Thanks Seattlechica.  It was a bit terrifying.  Not because of the ocular migraine itself, I knew exactly what it was but because I was afraid it would be followed by the pounding head variety of migraine.  So happy it wasn't!    It did make navigating the trail a little difficult because I couldn't see all that great.  It makes for a great story though and a race I won't forget.