Sunglass recommendation(s)? (Read 2049 times)

I've also had good luck w/ the Optic Nerve sunglasses. I lose/break sunglasses too often to justify anything more expensive.

Yep.  I run with sunglasses unless it's raining.  They provide obvious protection from sun, but also wind-driven things like snow and dust.  My faves are a pair of reasonably priced Optic Nerve Eyeque shades.  They retail for $69 (I think I found a code somewhere that got me 25% off).  They are photochromic with a really good range of light-to-dark, so I can run on overcast days and they are a very light tint, or bright Winter days and they go very dark.  They have effective vents in the lens and wrap my face well, so minimal light sneaks around the sides.

What was I thinking when I bought those expensive sunglasses.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Depending on conditions, also consider using a hat.  I really only use sunglasses when I'm running directly into a low sun, or when there's lots of glare off of snow or water.  When the sun is coming mostly straight down, a hat can be all you need, and it keeps your face from getting burned, too.

Thanks Ed!  I never thought of wearing a hat. Damn!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Depending on conditions, also consider using a hat.  I really only use sunglasses when I'm running directly into a low sun, or when there's lots of glare off of snow or water.  When the sun is coming mostly straight down, a hat can be all you need, and it keeps your face from getting burned, too.

Just keep in mind...hats don't actually protect your eyes from UV damage.  If the thought of cataracts (my brother's eye doctor saw small cataracts in his eyes when he was about 30, so it's not just something that affects older folks) and macular degeneration don't bother you, then a hat is fine.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just keep in mind...hats don't actually protect your eyes from UV damage.  If the thought of cataracts (my brother's eye doctor saw small cataracts in his eyes when he was about 30, so it's not just something that affects older folks) and macular degeneration don't bother you, then a hat is fine.

I don't think we need to worry about Cataracts anymore... with GM going backrupt and all that....

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't think we need to worry about Cataracts anymore... with GM going backrupt and all that....

*rimshot* Wink  

~ Sarah Kay

325th place or bust!

Any of you tried chromatic lenses (that lighten and darken automatically)?

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Somebody didn't read the whole thread... Wink  Go back and look at my original post in this thread.  I wear them.  I love them.  I wear them year-round and only leave them off if it's raining.

~ Sarah Kay

325th place or bust!

Somebody didn't read the whole thread... Wink  Go back and look at my original post in this thread.  I wear them.  I love them.  I wear them year-round and only leave them off if it's raining.

LOL, well I did read it all the first time but missed it on the re-read today...

MTA: do the lenses change when driving a car?  The notes on the ones I was looking at mentioned that it was UV causing the change and windshields block UV.  I want to use the sunglasses for running and driving and I'd want them to be dark while driving, too.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: do the lenses change when driving a car?  The notes on the ones I was looking at mentioned that it was UV causing the change and windshields block UV.  I want to use the sunglasses for running and driving and I'd want them to be dark while driving, too.

I think I have read that they aren't recommended for driving...that would make sense if they don't get dark behind UV glass.  I personally have one pair of polarized sunglasses that stay in my car and my running pair, which are photochromic, but not polarized.  I see no point in polarization for running.  I don't run around a lot of reflective surfaces.

~ Sarah Kay

I love them.

I used to wear Optic Nerve RedHawks for both running and bicycling.  They were OK, but the lack of my bifocal prescription (The inserts had only my distance prescription) and the limitation of only one shade of lens was a constant annoyance especially on my coast to coast bike tour.

I have since bought a pair of Rudy Project Horus with my bifocal prescription and transitions lenses.  They have been great for running and worked out well for my recent 11 day bike tour.  I had the bifocal prescription set real low so that it was out of the way when riding.  I have to tilt my head a bit to read, but they work perfect for looking at my Garmin or bike computer.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sounds daft, but I love my Peak Vision sunglasses (they're a golf brand).  I bought some for my dad a couple of years back and after trying them on, I ordered a second pair for me.  They do have some prescription options and since I bought mine, they now have sports-specific lenses, including running.
                          kcam

I bought a pair of the Ironman sunglasses at Target based on recs from this thread and after one run in them the prognosis is - two thumbs up.  No bounce and the fit is teriffic.  My last pair were held too close to my face (touching my eyebrows) so that the sweat would run down the lenses - hated this.  Pushing them away from my face made them bounce.  These are held firmly just a smidge away from my face and eyebrows so sweat doesn't run down the lenses.  Price - $17.99
                            MrH

If you run at night, the UV properties aren't so important so just go with what looks coolest.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I bought a pair of the Ironman sunglasses at Target based on recs from this thread and after one run in them the prognosis is - two thumbs up.  No bounce and the fit is teriffic.  My last pair were held too close to my face (touching my eyebrows) so that the sweat would run down the lenses - hated this.  Pushing them away from my face made them bounce.  These are held firmly just a smidge away from my face and eyebrows so sweat doesn't run down the lenses.  Price - $17.99

Same here...and of course I lost them a while back, so going to buy another pair is not a big deal.