McCain names VP pick (Read 1538 times)

Jazz hands!

Side Note: If Palin holds her own or wins the debate against Biden, she could be the 1st Female US President in 4-8 years.
    That's cool and all, but while I respect her I don't agree with any of her politics.* Just because she's a woman doesn't mean I think she's good at best representing the interests of all women. *I agree with the running, though. And that picture of her looks awesome.
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Imminent Catastrophe

Big grin, I'd vote for her on looks alone.
      I saw this on another forum, new acronym: VPILF Big grin MTA: VPILF Damn, that didn't take long.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Squeaky - she is definitely not going to sway social liberals (abortion, gay marriage, 2nd Amendment,ect) and I don't think McCain was trying to sway them...but for women like my wife, who had chosen NOT to vote this year. She has my wife fired up...a mother of 5 holding down a job, a devoted wife, "hockey mom"...my wife looks at her and sees herself (yes my wife is hot too Big grin). NOt to mention the fact that she is known as a reformer gets me fired up.
        2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Jazz hands!

Squeaky - she is definitely not going to sway social liberals (abortion, gay marriage, 2nd Amendment,ect) and I don't think McCain was trying to sway them...but for women like my wife, who had chosen NOT to vote this year. She has my wife fired up...a mother of 5 holding down a job, a devoted wife, "hockey mom"...my wife looks at her and sees herself (yes my wife is hot too Big grin). NOt to mention the fact that she is known as a reformer gets me fired up.
          The thing is, after all this hubbub about Hillary supporters who freaked out and said they wouldn't vote for Obama (actual number: about 5), it certainly looks a lot like he was trying to choose another middle-aged woman to snag those "disaffected" liberal ladies. Which I don't think will work, but if it's getting women like your wife fired up about politics, that's great! Remember, election day is Nov. 5 Wink Out of curiosity, why had your wife decided not to vote?

Menace to Sobriety

Point taken.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

she, as well as me, are probaly considered social/fiscal conservative but we live in an area of the country that has ALWAYS (yes even during the Clinton years) been poverty stricken...so, we are around people every day who need help to get started...so at times we find ourselves agreeing with liberals...but we also see rampant welfare abuse. We are both Pro-Life...really don't care either way about Gay Marriage, we know racism is still an issue, we both believe in the 2nd ammendment...and myself as controller of a small/mid sized business...Obama will close the doors of MANY small businesses. We employ 70 people, and would definitely have to lay-off a large % of our staff if Obama and Democrat economic plans fully takes place (which did it for me, b/c I KNOW what his plans will do...I deal with it every day)...The Economic crisis we are in now will be nothing when small businesses lay off half their employees or close their doors to go work for someone else b/c they can't pay their income and payroll taxes. My wife is a school teacher and she HATES "No child left behind" and HATES the fact that schools employ teachers who don't care and doesn't reward teachers that do...and that all their teaching is to prepare for a test and not to prepare kids for college and life. So...to vote for Obama would have been a vote against Pro-Life (btw, we were both babies born after doctors told our mothers to abort the pregnancy...and hearing that heartbeat so close to after being pregnant...there is no "choice" for us)...and McCain just didn't float her boat. Obama inspired her but in the end she simply doesn't believe him b/c he hasn't ever laid out how...While she believes McCain but he never inspired her...now she is inspired by Palin and trusts McCain. Does that make sense. For me...Palin plus McCain's economic plans are better, but more importantly than being better they are doable. I do believe the media has overplayed the Hillary factor...but after her speech at the DNC...Obama wasted a sure thing in not picking her. She was incredible. I think McCain was trying to get 1,000,000's of women like my wife. The soccer moms that are leaning socially conservative but still socially sensative and has a heart for the hurting. Which, that last sentence describes pretty much the greatest % of the moms I have EVER known.
              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
              xor

She's a marathoner.
                So was Bush. He ran the Houston Marathon in 93. The fact that she's a runner isn't that relevant to me. BTW, at least based on what I read (which may or may not be true), Bush is now cautioning staff members against running because "it'll ruin your knees". I think the last time I saw a reference to this was on one of those last page RW "I'm a runner" articles on Chertoff or someone like that.

Dave

I can confirm this second hand (first hand from someone who met him in a "rope line" at the Pentagon). He seems to have a canned line something like "You better watch that running, mountain biking is a whole lot easier on your knees." Other intern jobs seem even harder on your knees. Evil grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Jazz hands!

So...to vote for Obama would have been a vote against Pro-Life (btw, we were both babies born after doctors told our mothers to abort the pregnancy...and hearing that heartbeat so close to after being pregnant...there is no "choice" for us)
                    I can't believe I'm about to start this, but pro-choice doesn't mean compulsory abortions for everyone, it means respecting the wishes of a woman of reproductive age who probably knows what is best for her and her situation. Many women wouldn't get an abortion if they were freely available from 7-11, and many women would (and have) do horrible things to themselves in the hopes of miscarrying when abortion is illegal. Keeping abortion legal just means allowing a full-grown woman more autonomy over her body than a zygote who may or may not ever turn into a person. But running! We all like running! (PS: I don't actually know how the economic plans would impact small businesses, to be honest. I do know that trickle-down economics doesn't work, though. And that the divide between super-wealthy and the middle class is the widest it's been since the 1920's. I'll find the statistic on the internet somewhere if you'd like.) MTA: I had a crap run this morning. I blame Bush. And also Sarah Palin. Evil grin

Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

The Jogger

Why are people over there concerned so much about abortion when it comes to electing the most powerful person in the world. There are a lot more important issues, when I vote for someone it is based how they will run the country and not if they are Christain's that go to church and say things they think will get the right wing Christain vote. I would vote for someone who is not afraid to say what they really think. Unfortunately who gets in over there seems to have a knock on effect over here, IE: the credit crunch. That was your greedy right wing, bankers. (did I say bankers) Big grin Look at New Orleans how the so called good living church going Republicans helped that city, looks like they might have a second go at it, unfortunately. 1500 people died in the last New Orleans disaster, it's things like this that matter, not a cent up in your taxes. Roy

Non ducor, duco.

Why are people over there concerned so much about abortion when it comes to electing the most powerful person in the world. There are a lot more important issues, when I vote for someone it is based how they will run the country and not if they are Christain's that go to church and say things they think will get the right wing Christain vote. I would vote for someone who is not afraid to say what they really think. Unfortunately who gets in over there seems to have a knock on effect over here, IE: the credit crunch. That was your greedy right wing, bankers. (did I say bankers) Big grin Look at New Orleans how the so called good living church going Republicans helped that city, looks like they might have a second go at it, unfortunately. 1500 people died in the last New Orleans disaster, it's things like this that matter, not a cent up in your taxes. Roy
                          I was one of those so-called good living church going Republicans that housed a New Orleans family that I did not know in my home for several weeks in Houston, so I thank you for the recognition of what many of us did to help those people out. You know NOT of which you speak.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My biggest beef with the woman is that she is in favor of compulsory teaching of Creationism, aka "intelligent design" in SCIENCE class...funded by federal tax dollars. If I wanted my kid to have religious education in school I would pay tuition to have him in a parochial school or homeschool him. The US is already so far behind in Science education...and this woman would like to put us further behind. No thanks. If I were leaning Conservative this sort of thing would definitely push me the other direction. I know it's sealed the deal for my folks to vote Obama. They voted for Bush twice, but my dad's background is Physical Anthropology.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sqeaky - on the abortion thing...I will say this, and I say it with all the respect I can muster...Even Obama when asked when life begins he said "I believe the answer to that is well above my pay grade"...meaning he didn't know. If you don't know if you are taking life, why not just don't and be sure. The Jogger - you have NO clue about Katrina...and before you say I don't have a clue...you might want to check out where I am from. I personally watched church after church house the homeless from Katrina and support them...not for days or weeks....but for months and sometimes years. I watched churches collect truckloads of food and supplies for those who were displaced and for those working on the recovery. I watched countless of churches be the first to go in and begin the recovery process. As we speak my brother is fleeing the MS Gulf Coast to spend the week with us, hotels in my city are filling up with the fleeing. I was in church when a displaced New Orleans woman staying with lodging provided by our church got a cell phone call from her daughter saying she was alive and just got cell phone reception (that was two weeks after the storm)...I was in church when a teenage boy whose family was also staying with our church - told me he just found out his best friend drown in the 2nd story of his house along with the rest of his family..the churches were the ones who tried to help heal that pain. BTW the eye...the center of the storm ...the highest winds and surge hit my state of MS. You don't hear about that because our recovery went better...our Governor (Republican) had us extremely prepared but we are STILL trying to recover. New Orleans was not prepared at any level of goverment local (Dem), state (Dem at the time), or federal (yes Bush screwed up big time by trusting others to do his job and when I began to really not like Bush). If it were not for the churches all across the country sending supplies and themselves and unselfishly opening their homes and wallets, well I would hate to think of Katrina w/o it.

The Jogger

I was one of those so-called good living church going Republicans that housed a New Orleans family that I did not know in my home for several weeks in Houston, so I thank you for the recognition of what many of us did to help those people out. You know NOT of which you speak.
                                It's not the individual Republican's actions that matters so much, it's the actions of the Republican government that matters and unfortunately, that was too little, too late. The whole world saw this happen. So what I suggest you do, is look at the bigger picture!