Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

Turbolegs

The first is 4:18. The 5k splits tell a better story about pacing really, you can see I faded a bit in the last 6km:

5000 20:46
    10000 20:47
    15000 20:49
    20000 21:25
    21222 5:13

Excellent stuff !! Cant really say much about a 30 second fade over 5 k - its all good !!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

For the record official results are out : http://www.chiptiming.co.uk/pdf/NorwichHalfMarathon2010.pdf

1:29:27 gun time, 1:29:01 chip time. 110th by the gun, 106th by the chip. 103rd man, 14th in the category of men aged 45-50.

There were 1971 finishers. The fastest being 1:08:21 and the slowest 3:46:07.

SMART Approach

Your 5K time is in line with your half time so aerobically you are quite strong.  The first mile seemed to be conservative. With a conservative start and even pacing, I would have thought you would not fade a bit at end and perhaps finish strong.  Either way, it was a great race and about as hard as you could run it. NICE JOB!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

This weekend, Smlibo and CNYrunner will be chasing Peter Kamais (last year's winner), Kara Goucher, Ryan Hall, Meb Keflezighi, and Galen Rupp in NYC.

jpdeaux will be chasing glory in New Bedford, which is the New England Half Marathon Championship race. I could not find whether last year's winners (Kim Smith and Derese Deniboba) and will be running it, but it's certainly a race with a rich history.  

All the best, guys. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

1:28:39! PR at the Tom King Half

xor

Who's the king now!

Woohoo!

Congratulations to pr100, LTrain, and James_H  awesome running!

...and thanks NaderAlfie for the inspiration cruel reminder. I have Boston on the brain but will go for it on Sunday. Yelling "wait for me!" is okay right?

Also plan on a few more attempts:  

Mother's Day half-marathon 5/8/11, Whately, MA

Iron Horse half-marathon 6/5/11, Simsbury, CT

Rock 'n Roll Providence half-marathon 8/7/11, Providence, MA

pr100, James_H

Nice!

The Nader thread is starting to heat up.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Nader thread

Heh, thanks but no thanks, Jim.

How's the comeback progressing?

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

After a 20 year lay off from road racing and a previous distance best of 10K I scored a sub-90 half today. The race was the March Madness Half in Cary, IL. 40 degrees rain/drizzle and wind. I pulled off a 1:26:15. Look like I set my goals too low.

MTA: Just for Sr.Lopez, I ran an 86-something

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Congratulations PaulyGram and yeah, shot too low for sure. Nice comeback!

Failed on the minute(wo)man goal and yet happy no less. 1:32:35 at the NYC half-marathon, 12th in the 45-49 age group and first from MA---okay, no prizes for that, but a girl has to look for victory somewhere. Happy to have run negative splits for the first time in a long time. First mile in 8:15--got a bit stuck and didn't want to expend too much energy with mad weaving First 5k @7:13 pace, Next 5k @ 7:08 pace, 3rd 5k @ 7:05 pace and last 5k and change @7:04 pace. Froze my ass off at the start, but found plenty of tall guys to hide behind in the windy parts---easy when you are

5' 2".

Boston marathon up next, but then more sub 90 attempts in May, June, August, and October. Just getting started.

Yeah, you should be happy. 1:32 on the NYC Half course is something to be proud of.

Nice going, PaulyGram.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Congratulations PaulyGram and yeah, shot too low for sure. Nice comeback!

Failed on the minute(wo)man goal and yet happy no less. 1:32:35 at the NYC half-marathon, 12th in the 45-49 age group and first from MA---okay, no prizes for that, but a girl has to look for victory somewhere. Happy to have run negative splits for the first time in a long time. First mile in 8:15--got a bit stuck and didn't want to expend too much energy with mad weaving First 5k @7:13 pace, Next 5k @ 7:08 pace, 3rd 5k @ 7:05 pace and last 5k and change @7:04 pace. Froze my ass off at the start, but found plenty of tall guys to hide behind in the windy parts---easy when you are

5' 2".

Boston marathon up next, but then more sub 90 attempts in May, June, August, and October. Just getting started.

Woot to you CNY, if the half is anything like the full, that's a bumpy course. Yay! us on RA for knowing the fastest MA girl in the NYC 1/2. Negative splits always ROCK! They show you had more sense than I did. Having not run a road race in 30 20 years I had way too much adrenaline and covered the first 3 miles in 6:22 - 6:19 and 6:09.  It felt easy, but when the adrenaline wore off I knew there would be some suffering on the late hills.

Alfie and those to follow thanks for the congrats, it's just like hearing the home stretch clapping.

MTA: I'm not as old as I felt earlier this afternoon.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

xor

After a 20 year lay off from road racing and a previous distance best of 10K I scored a sub-90 half today. The race was teh March Madness Half in Cary, IL. 40 degrees rain/drizzle and wind. I pulled of a 1:26:15. Look like I set my goals too low.

Ok, if your original goal was 1:45 and you torched a 1:26 (woohoo btw), I'm curious how you started out.  Did you start out running 8s? Or did you hit the hyperspace lever right away?

No, it would help if I read the post right above mine.

L Train

JPD?  Let's hear the details.