Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

Well, let me tell you fellas my plan: Races and hills. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SMART Approach

I like it! Racing provides your occasional speed work  and makes you mentally tough (race tough I like to call it). I always would prefer one do a few miles easy after a race to add a more aerobic component to the work out. Hills make you stronger and short surges are excellent speedwork. Nader, are you doing hill drills or lengthy runs over rolling hills or both?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks for the encouragement, Tchuck.

Well, the idea is, once a week, like around Tuesday or Wednesday, to run a hilly course.  If my kid wakes me up early enough, I get out to a trail. If not, then the road. Whatever it is, I try to make the whole run an honest, hard effort.  That's it. The only display on my watch is minutes and seconds; that way I know how long 'til I have to get back for work.  

That's what I think will work for me.  

I think I could have run harder today, but the last two races are still in my legs, so I backed off a bit.

MTA: Brookline, your advice is solid. The thing is, it presupposes that I know what HMP is. I don't. Plus - irrespective of what's the best strategy - this way is most fun for me.  

SMART Approach

This approach and more miles will provide continued progress and is excellent for aerobic strength and works well for a half especially if you work it a couple times per week. This will give you 98% + of your max half marathon time in your miles per week. Sure, there is some more race specific and peaking work you can do and probably will down the road but work into that. For me, these type of work outs improve my time around 60-90 seconds in a half that's it. If I were to add 5-10 miles a week, this would do more for me that quality or speed work.

Note: You can determine half marathon pace/effort or an estimate by doing time trials or an occasional 5K race to monitor fitness level.

As for me, I will give 1:30 a run on Sunday, but don't think I will have enough to make it. I do think sub 1:32 is possible. I just was not able to do the quality work I had hoped (hammys).

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

I hear you, T Chuck and I'm not trying to meet complexity with some kind of simplistic machismo. 

But I was thinking this morning, when I was a teenager I played a ton of basketball. Aside from one year on a team, all my "training" entailed a) shooting/goofing around and b) pickup games after school and on the weekends. The games were all-out. We knew nothing was for grabs, except pride. No practices ("You talk 'bout..."), no formal drills (I'm not saying that these things aren't important in sports; they are). When the Knicks were in the playoffs, it was so much fun. After most games, I'd get the impulse to go out onto the driveway and shoot and shoot and shoot with some layups or whatever tossed in; like I'd been possessed by John Starks. 

When I see an exciting professional or collegiate road or track race, I get the same kinds of impulses.  And when the "pickup" games come on the weekends, I want to race/play all-out.  

All the best at the Green Bay HM! 

SMART Approach

Making it fun! That is what it is all about! I love it!!!

Brookline Pparts

I agree and only work in intervals at these paces once every few weeks when training for a half.

SMART Approach

As Vince Lombardi said, "What the hell is going on out there?" The weather is Green Bay this spring and this week is horrific. I think I have seen 2 hours of sun the last 7 days. Today it is raining again for 5th straight day with a high of 48 (normal is 68) and  20-30mph winds. For the Green Bay Marathon (half) tomorrow it is suppose to be 44 degrees but winds 25-35 mph gusting to 45 mph. It may not rain though. Nice! I don't really worry about the wind but it certainly won't help anyone's times. I just get so frustrated over the crappy weather. I think we have seen above 60 only a handful of times this year so far. Anyway, I am going to race as hard and as smart as possible tomorrow and do my best. 1:30 - I doubt it, but I will die trying Smile and shouldn't be too far off.

As Vince Lombardi said, "What the hell is going on out there?" The weather is Green Bay this spring and this week is horrific. I think I have seen 2 hours of sun the last 7 days. Today it is raining again for 5th straight day with a high of 48 (normal is 68) and  20-30mph winds. For the Green Bay Marathon (half) tomorrow it is suppose to be 44 degrees but winds 25-35 mph gusting to 45 mph. It may not rain though. Nice! I don't really worry about the wind but it certainly won't help anyone's times. I just get so frustrated over the crappy weather. I think we have seen above 60 only a handful of times this year so far. Anyway, I am going to race as hard and as smart as possible tomorrow and do my best. 1:30 - I doubt it, but I will die trying Smile and shouldn't be too far off.

Yeah, we've been a little colder than normal here in Sac, CA with rain in the forecast tonight through Tuesday.  20 degrees lower than normal for highs.  I thought we were having global warming??

Tiefsa

Put me on the list - Eisenbahn Marathon (Half), 8//27

I paid my registration today

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Certainly not sub 90 nor a PR. Not unexpected. Ran well but too many issues for now. Pleased with a 1:36:14. A great drizzly day to run here in Pittsburgh.

If I can get my legs under me I'll improve rapidly. 

Good luck to everyone.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

SMART Approach

Crazy day in Green Bay. Cold. Winds were 25-35mph at least. Felt like 35mph with gusts to 45mph. I have never experienced this before. Slowed me down I have to believe. I officially ran 1:34:12. Arrgghh! My Garmin said 13.37 miles. Kind of strange since my Garmin also said 1:33:18 for a time. Something is not right. I started watch at start mat. The 5 mile mat came in at 5.22 miles on my and all other Garmins around me give or take a hundredth. The 10 mile mat at 10.25 miles. Don't get that. I anticipated sub 1:32 and my conditioning for this time was there. Either the wind hammered me (certainly played a part) or the course was off a bit or both. I know the marathon was certified but not sure about half. Here are my Garmin splits and I ran a negative split.

7:13, 7:02 ,6:57, 7:02, 7:08, 7:06, 7:04, 7:00, 7:13, 7:07, 6:58, 7:01, 6:58, last .37 in 6:46 pace or so.

I ran the race I wanted. The last 3 miles I picked up the effort but could not make up ground into the wind. Very very difficult to pick up pace last couple miles when you feel like you are running in place at times.  It messes with you. Also, tough to hold pace in middle miles when into the wind. It was a bear but fun! I am disappointed in time a bit but knew I could not get close to 1:30. Also knew wind would have an effect. Still happy with time at age 45 (tomorrow) on 22-23 miles per week avg. I can do better though with some more quality work and better race conditions. Next race will be better!!!!

SMART Approach

I am waiting to confirm but it appears the course was set up in error. Not sure yet but I am told it was certified but on race day were directed an extra block East and then had to come back. This was on mile 4 which would confirm why everyone I spoke with were at 5.20 - 5.23 miles at that 5 mile mat. This amounts to an extra 2 blocks or .2 miles. I might be feeling better now about my time. I can subtract another 1:25 and be sub 1:33. Certainly makes sense. Well, my official time is my official time. Not a big deal to me as I would not have PRed anyway but others may have. I just find it interesting.

FJr

TChuck - I have the same feeling about the course yesterday in GB.  Mile 4 was long on my Garmin, as well as on those around me, by about 0.2 miles.  That held true throughout, as my finishing Garmin distance was 26.45 mi.  The winds on miles 16-21 killed me, so it didn't make a difference with my time, personally.  But I'm sure there were many others that missed a PR due to this.

SMART Approach

TChuck - I have the same feeling about the course yesterday in GB.  Mile 4 was long on my Garmin, as well as on those around me, by about 0.2 miles.  That held true throughout, as my finishing Garmin distance was 26.45 mi.  The winds on miles 16-21 killed me, so it didn't make a difference with my time, personally.  But I'm sure there were many others that missed a PR due to this.

OR missing a Boston Marathon qualifying time or for the elite runners perhaps an Olympic Trials qualifying time.