Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

L Train

Tief, I don't know what's gonna help in the last month.  I just looked at your log and my honest first response was WTF?  You aren't running near the needed (IMO) volume and every run is like you've been shot from a rocket at 6:50-7:10 pace.  I'm not big on the whole "gotta run easy all the time" thing, but you are at the other extreme.  I think you would have been better off with way more volume, way more easy miles (8:00-8:30?) and with one or two planned workouts/wk.  Doesn't help you too much now, though.  I guess I'd say to not do any kind of taper, try to get some longer slower runs in and still hit a few hard workouts even in the last few weeks. 

Just my $.02.

Tiefsa

Tief, I don't know what's gonna help in the last month.  I just looked at your log and my honest first response was WTF?  You aren't running near the needed (IMO) volume and every run is like you've been shot from a rocket at 6:50-7:10 pace.  I'm not big on the whole "gotta run easy all the time" thing, but you are at the other extreme.  I think you would have been better off with way more volume, way more easy miles (8:00-8:30?) and with one or two planned workouts/wk.  Doesn't help you too much now, though.  I guess I'd say to not do any kind of taper, try to get some longer slower runs in and still hit a few hard workouts even in the last few weeks. 

Just my $.02.

A lot of these faster runs are planned workouts - Fartleks where I run a minute hard a minute easy or something similar.  I don't program them into the garmin though so they just look like faster miles.

The longer distance runs (8, 9, 10) I try to run easier, but I get out there in the first mile and it always is like 7:20 or something.  So then I just hold onto that pace.  I hate running slow.  I hate it.  It just feels bad to run that slow to me.   I guess I should because that is what it takes to get in shape for the half marathon though.

A lot of these faster runs are planned workouts - Fartleks where I run a minute hard a minute easy or something similar.  I don't program them into the garmin though so they just look like faster miles.

The longer distance runs (8, 9, 10) I try to run easier, but I get out there in the first mile and it always is like 7:20 or something.  So then I just hold onto that pace.  I hate running slow.  I hate it.  It just feels bad to run that slow to me.   I guess I should because that is what it takes to get in shape for the half marathon though.

I don't think that's entirely true. Sure, some of your long runs should be easy, but you can turn your long runs into better workouts with some of the miles at 1/2MP or MP rather than just slogging along.   Look at the Daniels' plans. He combines1/2M and marathon training and the quality days are the long days.  Only some of the long days are just at at easy pace.

L Train

Yeah, I agree with BT - I just don't think ALL of your runs shaould be at that pace.  Don't get me wrong, if I could handle the volume AND that pace I'd ba a happy boy.

DLJ

Hey Tief,

I'm no expert, but I have to agree with L-train. I looked at your last 5K race of 19:XX a few days ago - there is no question that you have the pace but sadly there is something about the half marathon that requires more miles. I'm with you - I hate running slowly and I used to do all my runs at flat out pace and had similar times a 19:10 5K and a 41:XX 10km but then ran a 1:36:XX half marathon with the kilometres 17-21 terrible (although there is always the caveat of people who run great times off short fast work so heads up).

I'll put my two cents worth in as well which I totally admit is a gamble - I don't really believe in the 10% rule per say if you have been running consistently. Recently I went from 50km/week to 80km/week without any significant problems. I would suggest running a couple of big aerobic weeks - 80-90km with only 1 days speed work and the rest at 7:30-8 minute mile mark and then taper in the last two or even one week. As I said though this is the potentially silly all or none approach - there is no question that you could injure yourself and then not run this half marathon at all and even longer but it is what I would do.

The sensible option is of course BoilerTom's - continue training as you with some slightly longer runs added in for the next 2-3 weeks. Taper. Run and enjoy the race. Maybe get 90 - fantastic. Maybe not - also fine. Pick another half marathon and change training slightly to incorporate longer aerobic runs and more miles. The pace I am aiming for is around 5 minute/km and 100km/week. Haven't reached it yet. Haven't run a sub 90 half marathon so it is all a bit speculative at present, but we will see.

Dwane

Tiefsa

I'm not worried about my legs yet.  They have surprisingly held up well.  Tomorrow I am going to run as easy as I can for 5 miles.  Then on Sat/Sun I'm thinking of running 10 or 11 miles.   I plan on running 10 or 11 at least three more times before the race day.  Also, I have a 5k on August 6th to kind of judge my fitness level a bit.

There is just this one part of me that can't relax.  When I ran in hs/college track, I could justify running slow for long distance runs because my races were the 400,800, or the mile.  I was simply building endurance.

Now with a race that is 13.1 miles, I feel as if I should be running my race pace for these shorter runs because when it is race day I am going to have to hold that pace for longer than I ever have run in my life.

There is one encouraging thing though.  I have done this all alone except for  a recent distance run I did with my brother.  When I ran with him the pace seemed so easy and it was fast.  This gives me hope that on race day, when there are other runners, I will feel better.

The one thing I think I’ve learned here is that the point of running some of your runs “slow” or easy, is so that you can run more. You could crank out near 4 near race pace days for x miles, or you could crank out 2 near race pace days and 4 easy days for 2x miles and get a lot more out of your training. I know I’m guilty of not taking my easy days as easy as I should a lot of the time, and some of it is that nagging feeling you expressed about knowing I’ll have to maintain a certain pace for a long time come race day. That written, check the logs of a lot of the people who have made it happen on here, and understand what they did – you’ll find a whole lot of easy miles, with some hard miles mixed in. I’m hardly the voice of authority, and I’m still “in-process” like you are, but that’s how it seems to me.
                Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                mikeymike

Yeah you don't run easy days easy for the sake of it, you do it so you can handle more volume and do bigger workouts.  If you're not planning to do either of those things than slowing down in and of itself won't do any good.

Tief if you decided to ramp your mileage to 2 or 3x what it is now for a few months you'd wonder what all the fuss was about regarding a 1:30 half marathon.  However, if your goal is to see if you can run a sub 1:30 on less than 30 miles a week or something, then carry on.

Runners run

"run" "2" "eat"

"then slowing down"

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Lazy idiot

However, if your goal is to see if you can run a sub 1:30 on less than 30 miles a week or something, then carry on.

Quit making my goals public, kind sir.

Tick tock

SMART Approach

Quit making my goals public, kind sir.

+1

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

New Milford 8 Mile Road Race today…very glad I finally ran this. One of the area’s iconic races (44th running and CT’s 3rd oldest race), and I’ve wanted to run it since we moved here 5 years ago. Has to be an old race, because no one who wanted to build a returning customer base for this thing would design it the way it is today – with a ridiculous hill at the end (check my log for the elevation profile, it’s nasty).

Anyway, this was a good wakeup call in my half-marathon training for how not to pace and how not to hydrate. In the end, my time was okay, but I could have run a much smarter (and probably faster) race.

My workout Wed was supposed to be to dial in race pace, so ran a fartlek with what were supposed to be 3 half mile 6:20’s. I ran them all way too fast (2:45 or so). Very hard for me to get the feel of the in-between pace. I can run a 5:50 and I can run a 6:50, but nailing in-between is an issue.

Anyway, was feeling great in the first mile, pretty comfortable…and then the girl giving splits at mile one said “5:38”…and I felt panic. Holy crap. That’s not good. And was unsettled from there on out. Looking back at the splits now, they kind of make sense, given the course.

1. 5:38
                          2. 11:50
                          3. 18:24
                          4. 24:45
                          5. 31:30
                          6. 37:30 (I think)
                          7. 45:30 (I think)
                          8. 51:37

That slow mile up to 7 is the crazy hill.

The other big lesson from today was my hydration management. It sucked. Yes, it was warm today, but there were 8 water stations on a 8 mile course, plenty of opportunity to fill up. And I tried, I just wasn’t very good at drinking from the cup at that pace. Something I need to practice. Both calves seized up right after mile 6 (actually right when Beat – another RA guy – passed me). So the last 2 miles were an unnecessarily painful struggle.

So, encouraging for my HM goal in 9 weeks, but plenty to learn from. Great day. Lots of fun. They have a guy playing a fiddle as you slog up the big hill and a big fat smiley face painted on the road at the top.

Onward.

Tiefsa

So, encouraging for my HM goal in 9 weeks, but plenty to learn from. Great day. Lots of fun. They have a guy playing a fiddle as you slog up the big hill and a big fat smiley face painted on the road at the top.

Onward.

Being three minutes under 1:30 half marathon pace at 8 miles is pretty awesome if you ask me.  Sure you have to have a slower first mile, but that still is impressive.

I have my first race in two years on Saturday - just a local 5k, but I am super nervous.  I have no idea what time I will run.   

Being three minutes under 1:30 half marathon pace at 8 miles is pretty awesome if you ask me.  Sure you have to have a slower first mile, but that still is impressive.

I have my first race in two years on Saturday - just a local 5k, but I am super nervous.  I have no idea what time I will run.   

Thanks. Definitely getting there. The best part of the race, now that I think back on it, was on that final hill, someone I didn't know (but looking at the results, must have been Pedro Cobos - THANK YOU PEDRO if you're out there!) who must have seen me dying and grabbed two sponges from the aid station and gave one to me, without being asked. That gave me a nice lift right before the finish. Runners are awesome.

Good luck in your race. Will be a great opportunity to learn where you are, and to get the feel of racing back.

Tiefsa

Ran a local 5k today.  Small field of about 200.  I thought there would be some faster HS runners, but there wasn't.  After only about 600 meters I was in the lead, and not even running very fast.  By the first mile I was all alone at 5:51.  I held on to that pace or somewhat near it for the rest of the race and won running at 18:25.  I guess that is a good time, and I hope it bodes well for the half on August 27th.  I think I could have run a lot faster, but there was no one to run with.  I hope there are some folks to run with in the half marathon.