Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

Ran another HM today, 1:19:22 (Parks Half-Marathon in MD). 

I think I can say this <90min goal is completed for sure now  Big grin

You and Dickey should start a sub-75 thread. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Can't believe this topic exists and is so popular!

I'm trying for the sub-90 HM on the 25th of Sept in Montreal. Ran 1:32:18 on a tough course (with bad pacing, I always go out too fast!) a couple weeks ago and have been hungry for the 90HM in training. Looking forward to trying!

The Blakes Half Marathon?

Um, Dickey, according to your log you just ran a sub 90 half last month as a training run. Looks like there are several others too. Nevertheless, tally ho! towards sub 72. That would be a nice first half.

eh, true enough (and that run is actually slower than i usually do my long runs), but i really just want the goal out there and get a 'support' group going, just so i have some people to answer to. and sub 72 would indeed be a nice first half, i'm looking forward to it.  rumor has it that the local 'ringers' will be there, so i'm looking forward to some good competition (winner usually runs around 70, sometimes over, sometimes under). 

and Nader, i would love to start a sub 75 thread, but i don't really know if there would be much interest in it.  if there is, however, i would be happy to spearhead it. 

Ha, ringers? 

Ha, ringers? 

ring·er

1   [ring-er]  Show IPA

Australian a highly skilled sheep shearer.

you got it

xhristopher

and Nader, i would love to start a sub 75 thread, but i don't really know if there would be much interest in it.  if there is, however, i would be happy to spearhead it. 

Sub 75 might not make for a big group but what about sub-whatever the hell is equal to sub 3 marathon more or less and round about but it's probably not a nice even number?? What the hell is that anyway?

Sub 75 might not make for a big group but what about sub-whatever the hell is equal to sub 3 marathon more or less and round about but it's probably not a nice even number?? What the hell is that anyway?

85?

Tchuck is up this Saturday!

Good luck, Tchuck. You feel ready?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      bhearn

85?

Maybe, but I have run sub-3 twice, and have yet to break 1:26.

jpdeaux

It's probably not 1:29:44, but what do I know? I'll tell you when I get there.

Around 1:25 or 1:26 by most of the race predictors.

Maybe, but I have run sub-3 twice, and have yet to break 1:26.

Well both sub 3 and sub 1:26 are my goals as well.  I will try a sub 1:26 early Oct.

SMART Approach

Good luck, Tchuck. You feel ready? 

Thanks. Well, I feel pretty good. I have done more quality work than I have in a long time - since 2007 before hammy issues. I missed 1:30 by around 45 seconds back then. I don't mean to be pessimistic but 1:30 would be pushing it for me right now but I certainly am not going to hold back. 4 years older does not help either. I was a bit discouraged with my recent 20:25  5K time but the course was a bit challenging. Certainly, that predicts 1:33 - 1:35. I know I will be faster than that. It is interesting to me that being "low miles" how I can easily carry over my 5K time to a 10K and half marathon while generally defining myself as a muscular/strong runner and certainly not slow twitch heavy.

I would be happy with sub 1:32. Weather should be ideal and course is not crazy difficult. It will be a good test for me. BTW, I am still on my quest to break 20 min in a 5k. Last time I did that was 2007. Last year I got to 20:05 in Fall.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com