How exactly do you race? (Read 1049 times)

I've tried to pick races that arent too big. I like to be able to get into the pace I'd like to run pretty early in the race. The smaller races also give me an outside chance at age group places. As far as strategy I'm still learning, but for my 5k races I have some goal times set for some shorter distances in the race (like .3 mi, .5 mi, .7 for example). For the 19:44 5k race I just ran I had split times calculated for 19:45 pace, 20:00, 20:15 and 20:30. This allowed me to ensure I wasnt going out too fast and also to gauge how I felt that day. I dont often pace off of others in a race, but I have used other racers behind me to help me finish strong over the last mile or so in 5k or 10k races. I have long term goals (BQ for example). I use shorter races to allow me to work on different types of training over the course of the year. Other races keep me motivated to keep training through the cold winter months.
    PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
    Mr R

Tactics matter a lot on the track; not so much on the roads. Mostly I go with the rule of thirds: hold back for the first third, steady and controlled for the middle, torture yourself during the final third. Deciding when to kick depends on knowing what type of runner you are. Kids tend to have furious sprint kicks. As you get older, you lose it, but you gain strength. I've got a decent 100 meter kick, but I usually go from 800 out if I know I'm the stronger runner. On the track, I like to go to the lead and slow the pace down, since lots of college kids will take the pace out way too fast. I'm also comfortable going out in last place in an evenly matched field, though it depends somewhat on the type of track. A short turn track is obviously better for making moves. If I'm on a long turn track, I usually don't want to be in back, because it takes too long to move up the field. The real key for me was always having a surprising kick. 600 meters out is nice because it's unexpected. You can win by a the margin gained on the surprise, while making sure that nobody has the energy left for a true sprinters' kick at the end. That's usually my way to go. I've got a decent sprinters' kick, but there's an element of uncertainty about depending on it. I also know that college kids have good kicks, but they're often not as strong as me.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

JakeKnight

Thank you all. Good stuff, especially in the last few posts. Teresa, tell your kids thanks. And if he ever gets bored and feels like typing out his race philosophies, tell him I'd be interested in reading.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Mostly I go with the rule of thirds: hold back for the first third, steady and controlled for the middle, torture yourself during the final third.
          I wouldn't call myself experienced or anything, but this has been the strategy I've used. For a 5K, first mile should feel easy and comfortable, yet fast. Mile two, speed up a little from mile one but don't overdo it. Mile three (HELL) is where things get ugly, speed up once more, try and stay relaxed/maintain good form through all the pain. Last .1 mile (or a little earlier) - muster up a kick if you have any energy left. I usually race with a friend who's at about the same speed/fitness level as me and I think that's really helped. We go back and forth on winning, but for the last two races he's beaten me (within 15 seconds), despite having run less it seems. Angry
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mostly I go with the rule of thirds: hold back for the first third, steady and controlled for the middle, torture yourself during the final third.
            This "tactic" has worked well for me over the past 2 years. I usually find myself getting passed by a fair # of folks during the first few miles of any race...I generally pass them in return during the last few. Last May I ran my first 25k with backroadrunner. 2 miles in she decided I was running too slow and disappeared. 13.5 miles later I caught up with her and we crossed the finish line holding hands. Her race was painful and she spent the rest of the year injured. Our race times have been almost identical, for the most part, but our racing methods are very different (if anyone could benefit from a Garmin it's that girl). I loves me some negative splits and a hard kick at the end. As I train for my first marathon this Fall I have a feeling I will plan to run the first 20 miles with steady negative splits. After that I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope to make it across the finish line on my feet. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jeffdonahue

For me, how I race kind of depends on the race and the distance. When I do 5Ks I can usually pace myself pretty well and try to go out a bit fast the first mile. After that I usually use the "pick a person and try to pass them" routine until the end. For longer races, like the HM I did yesterday, I usually plan them out a bit more. I had mapped the course, knew where all the hills were (though I didnt realize how windy one section was going to be) and made a game plan. I then use my Nike+ pod to make sure I stayed relatively near the pace I had planned for that particular part of the race. Personally, I like to save a little something for that last quarter mile and finish really strong. Yesterday I probably passed a dozen people in the last quarter mile because I had a little kick left.
              JakeKnight

A little birdie dragon just sent me this. It's just what I was looking for. Racing tactics for mid-packers: http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=12612&c=97 Thanks again, Amy. Really interesting stuff.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A little birdie dragon just sent me this. It's just what I was looking for. Racing tactics for mid-packers: http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=12612&c=97 Thanks again, Amy. Really interesting stuff.
                  EXCELLENT! I love that advice to not try to "take" people on hills or other difficult spots in a race, but during flats. Huh...I will have to try that. Normally hills are a spot where I gain on people (as well as in the last half mile or so...I am definitely a "kicker").

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

During the final 100 (or so) meters in a race, if I hear someone coming up from behind, and it appears they will catch me at the pace I am running, I slow up and let them pull even. As soon as they are a step in front, I kick and re-pass the runner. That "trick/technique" has worked for me.
                    Scout7

It's all about the chase. Either you're chasing them, or they are chasing you. You want to pass, and stay in front. Different people respond differently to different tactics. There's no one set way. Racing is like war. Attack when your enemy doesn't expect it. Be flexible in your tactics. Realize what the goal is (to beat someone, not get a pr). Know your enemy, and know yourself. If you can conquer yourself, you can conquer your enemy.
                      jeffdonahue

Great article. I like the one about the hills "Wait for it". I used to surge up the hills too, but yesterday in my HM I held back on the big hill in mile 13. I got passed by a lot of people but by the time I got to the top I was ready to go and I passed all of them and then some in the last half mile to the finish.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wow, lots of great advice in this thread. I run mostly short races, so this thinking might not apply quite as easily to longer races, but here goes: When I ran track, I used to tell myself that the mile was a 3-lap race, and that the 2-mile was a 7-lap race. Meaning, I knew I was gonna go all-frickin'-out with everything I had on the last lap -- that was automatic (and somewhat anaerobic, so the pace of the last lap didn't depend much on the previous ones). So my job was to run even splits at goal pace or slightly slower for three (or seven) laps. And let the inner animal take care of running the last lap. Same with a 5k, it's a 2.8 mile race (or so). Doesn't have the same ring to it, but the same thinking applies -- use discipline and even pacing to get you that far, and then unleash the fires of hell the rest of the way. In general, most races are wrecked by too fast first miles, so try real hard to run the first mile of any race at goal pace or slightly slower. I liked the discussion of hills in the article -- better to "win" the hill with a surge over the top rather than attack it from the bottom up. I read something from an elite road racer a long time ago that's always stuck with me: "I don't attack hills, I let them come to me."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Think Whirled Peas

It seems hard to "race" people if you don't know them though. Sure, you can pick a person and say "hang w/them" or "I'mma kick the sh@t outta that guy gal kid race walker spectator" but if you don't know what a person can handle, you're really just guessing, no? I like the advice of finding a series to race in over the summer. You'll probably find people of similar ability with whom you can race against. Plus, you'll learn their strengths and weaknesses. Oh, and screw the clock if/when you do race someone (ahem, a coupla peeps been challenging ya come to mind). It ain't about the time you post, it's about the place you finish. Do what you must to crush their spirit, and then hold on 'til the end. Racing against another person is ALL about the gloating. Find their weakness and make it your strength, then abuse them with it all race long. I talk a good game, but I rarely race. It's one of those things I loved about high school track though, that mental tomfoolery w/your opposition. Racing against a person/people brings back some of what's great about the sport, that pure competitive feel of you vs. me. It feels GREAT when you outsmart your competition and it'll give you a serious case of the red ass when you've been outwitted. There's nothing better. Just for fun, my running partners and I will occasionally decide to have an impromptu "race" day. Sometimes it's on the track or occasionally it'll be on one of our regular routes. Being that we're all roughly equivalent in overall pace, it makes for an interesting day. That we know each other's abilities and the courses exceptionally well just adds to the fun. Remember, when you're racing against another from the get-go, screw. The. Clock. Just win, baby!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

First the disclaimer: I am not saying I run competitively, I am remembering this stuff from high school, 40 years ago! Any races I have been in recently have been against myself, and the key to good finish times is even splits. The race tactics I am describing are designed to beat another runner, not set the best time you are capable of. Scout is right that if you want to beat someone you've got to look at the race as a war. (The holding hands across the finish line idea is the opposite of the attitude you want!) For a half marathon, lets say, you want to prepare by running the last 5k as hard as you can a few times in training runs, and you also want to try varying speeds. Ideally you want to know if your opponent is strong on hills but a weak finisher, or slow on downhills but has a good kick etc. In the race you could try maintaining a good pace to about 16k then putting on a surge for say 400 metres, then slow down again for 100 metres, then surge for 200 metres, slow for 2oo metres, surge again, in random patterns. See if your opponent seems to be having trouble staying with you. Lull him/her into thinking you won't surge again by a longer slow period, mix it up. When you go for real your attitude is going to be "I'm going to drop this guy like a bad habit, I'm going to burn his lungs out!" and you have make a decisive mood. As others said, if you get a certain distance ahead it will have a major psych-out effect on your opponent. Of course, the other guy will be trying to do the same thing if he can, and its not impossible he may use an accomplice to pace him, or to let him draft, so you may have to adjust to the situation. If you are a strong finisher he may try to burn you off by running hard for the first 3/4 of the race so you cannot use your advantage, or you may do that to him. Anyway there's a few ideas. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

That was a great article Amy sent you Jake, thanks for posting it (and starting the thread too). My favorite is "When people look back at me, my instant thought is, "You're mine." There are lots of other great points, so I'm going to print it out and revisit it occasionally.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.