Compression shorts at the gym? (Read 455 times)

So I go to the gym to use the treadmill only when I am too much of a wimp to run outside in the cold.  So I'm not a regular.  I wear compression shorts almost exclusively when I run (nothing over top of them) and that is what I have been doing at the gym.  All I do is an hour on the treadmill, then I leave.

I have begun to notice that I am the only one, at least as far as I can tell, wearing compression shorts with nothing over them.  Also as far as I can tell, I have not received any dirty looks or anything.  My fiancee insists there is nothing wrong with it but I am beginning to feel self-conscious.  I run through the neighborhood wearing the same thing - is there a difference?

So am I committing an egregious breach of etiquette here or should I continue to not care?

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Joann Y

You should continue not to care. I have seen one guy at the gym wearing compression shorts and he's the only guy in the gym looking like he is actually an athlete. I have noticed most people don't wear shorts to the gym, it's all black pants all around. It's freaking hot in there so I'm not sure WTF they are doing. I wear running shorts which is sort of freakish, first because they are shorts and second because they are short. I guess I don't really care. And a I'd be happy to give a big f u to anyone that does. :-)

(modified to fix the freaky emoticon)

HermosaBoy

I wouldn't care!

With that said, I will ask -- compression shorts or compression undergarment?

Compression shorts:

Compression Undergarment:

To me, the second ones are a bit thin to wear without anything else (doesn't leave a lot to the imagination), but I do see a lot of people doing it.  Who am I to judge?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Slo

Yeah...Whatever.

But I do understand the ladies at my gym in the 4:45pm Boot Camp have nicknamed a couple of guys as "Mr. Jangles" and "Boy Robin". I should note that these guys are Boot Class particiapants and not running on the treadmill...big difference.

Because of this a survey card has shown up on the counter asking if compression shorts should be allowed as an outer garmet.

Thankfully the only pair I've seen at Walmart were still hanging on the rack.

Evolving body parts

So I go to the gym to use the treadmill only when I am too much of a wimp to run outside in the cold.  So I'm not a regular.  I wear compression shorts almost exclusively when I run (nothing over top of them) and that is what I have been doing at the gym.  All I do is an hour on the treadmill, then I leave.

I do exactly the same (an hour on the mill, then a bit of stretching) and at first I too felt self-conscious. Since then I learned that noone cares. There are always at least a coupole of nice looking girls in tight outfits and they steal the show.

I guess the only reason I sometimes get the looks is the 1 hour thing and the fact that I'm not walking holding on to the rails Smile

jfa

I have only seen one guy wearing what you're calling compression shorts, the lower one in the photos below. It was on the boardwalk, not the gym. I happened to be behind him for a short time( I had to pass him) .To each his own i guess, but  I also heard people commenting about the guy running in his underwear.

Best Present Ever

maybe because I'm at a university, but I see lots of compression shorts with nothing over them.  Also giant basketball shorts that appear to be for someone much larger than the person wearing them, and everything in between.  The odd pair of dress pants on older gents as well.  I'd say no one much pays attention.

I wear running shorts which is sort of freakish, first because they are shorts and second because they are short.

Freakish to wear running shorts to the gym? What is the world coming to?

As far as compression shorts - of course the big difference at a gym is you are in one spot for an hour. So someone else on the treadmill for an hour has not much else to do but stare at whatever's nearby. Compared to running outside when no one gets more than a quick glance. But you should not care. If you want to see what types of things qualifiy as egregious breaches of gym etiquette, find the "gym is a freak show" thread. Most of the breaches occur in the locker room, IIRC.

Dave

Arimathea

Tessa

Why ever not? They cover and support the anatomical features that need coverage and support. The people making an issue out of other gym members wearing compression shorts should find something else to a) look at and b) fuss about.

Be glad it's compression shorts that hold everything in even though there's not much left to the imagination. Better those than baggy shorts with no liner and no underwear worn underneath -- especially worn as a bathing suit. Nobody needs to see someone's dangly bits hanging below their shorts.

My heart goes out to the guys who the mean girls have given nasty nicknames to.

xhristopher

So am I committing an egregious breach of etiquette here or should I continue to not care?

McSpartan85,

I can see you have been having a conviction weighing heavy on your heart. You can try to ignore it for as long as you can but when a man wears compression shorts it creates a stronger attraction for men and woman to look back at your body and it may cause them to think lustful thoughts. If you pray on it you will have a change of heart and stop ignoring your convictions and take action.

Go home and share your convictions with your loved one. Is it possible your compression shorts should cause a man or woman, other than your loved one, to think lustful about your bits? As your loved one on that matter when you get home. If they are honest they will be insecure and tell you "hell yeah, I'm a horny as hell and lust after everyone else wearing compression shorts and can't look away even if I tried."

You will instantly feel stronger conviction not to wear compression shorts come over you, not that you aren't already conflicted. You are posting on RunningAhead about it after all. If it is difficult for a lover who loves, honors, and respects you to keep their eyes focused ahead, then how much more difficult could it be for a stranger that may not have the same self-control? Sure, if a person wants to look, they are going to snatch a glimpse, but why entice them? Is it possible that the tight, form-fitting compression shorts could make a others in the gym stare at your bits?

Right this moment you should make a personal vow to yourself, your loved one, and the poor saps at the gym. You will no longer wear thin, form-fitting compression shorts in public. The only time you should feel it is acceptable to wear them is in the comfort of your own house or if you are wearing a shirt long enough to cover your bits. You need to set the best example of how to dress for the children. They need to know their value is not in the way their body looks or how they dress, but in how fast they run in the body they were given. You should follow this vow and your conscience will be clear and you will better honor your loved one.

Xhristopher, that made my day.  Went to the gym last night during a peak period and had to wait for a treadmill.  Standing around in my nifty compression shorts and I don't think I drew any stares.  If I did, they were either in humor or pity, not lust.

I saw some heavier people in compression gear and it didn't bother me any, so I am going with live and let live.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Chantilly75

compression shorts on a runner > spandex on a New Years' resolutioner

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

PDoe

McS,

So long as there are already heavier people around at the gym, me thinks you are safe to wear your compression shorts. They will draw any unwanted attention away from you.

It's like a train wreck or a car accident. Nobody really wants to see it but everybody looks anyway. As long as there's more potential damage elsewhere, nobody will care what you might look like.

Why has no one else asked for photographic evidence so that we can give a fair opinion? 

Cyberic

From a person who would not go to the gym in compression shorts, I assure you that I don't give a damn if others do. They are so common, noone cares. It's like when I was a kid, men needed to have hair. A bald guy like Kojak would stand out in a crowd. Now people don't even notice as it is very common, like xompression shorts.