Diet Pop impact on weight (Read 1723 times)

HermosaBoy

And...I've heard that order a "coke" thing in Texas, where "coke" means "soda", not Coca-Cola.

Was like that for me in California growing up...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I still don't really understand using the word "coke" in context.  I always picture a scene like "Whos on First."  

Picture a southerner ordering a drink at a restaurant elsewhere in the country:

Waiter:  Would you like a beverage?

Me: Yes, I'd like a coke.

Waiter: what kind of Coke?  We have Coke or Pepsi.

Me:  Do you have Sprite? 

Waiter: but you said you wanted a Coke.  Do you want Regular or Diet?

Me: You have Diet Sprite?  I'd like that.

Waiter: no, we don't have Diet Sprite, we have Diet Coke.

Me: but I want a Sprite.

Waiter:  Ok, Ill bring you a Sprite.

Waiter returns with a Sierra Mist

Waiter: We didn't have Sprite, but we had Sierra Mist so I brought one since they're similar.

Me: I dont like Sierra Mist, what other kind of coke do you have?

Waiter: Now you want a Coke, before you said you wanted a Sprite?

Me: Yes, I would like a Sprite, but you don't have any...so what kind of coke do you have otherwise?

Waiter: We have Coke or Pepsi.

Me: Didn't you say earlier you have Diet Coke?

Waiter:  I did, we do have Diet Coke.

Me (getting angered): Well, why don't you tell me all the different kinds of coke you have?

Waiter: I did, we have Coke or Pepsi, both in diet as well.

Me: But that gentleman over there appears to be drinking a Mountain Dew.

Waiter:  We do have Mountain Dew.

Me: Well, why didnt you tell me that when I asked?

Waiter: You didn't ask.

Me: Yes I did!  I asked what kind of coke do you have!

Waiter is confused...

on and on.

Feeling the growl again

Don't let science get in the way of your speculation, guys.

Methinks your science suffers from some flaws.  The amount of heterogeneity they show by county in central Indiana is ludicrous.  I do appreciate their effort though.  People here are not as southern as the map claims....closer to the river, yes, the tooth counts correlate more with Kentucky.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

It is weird, but it's also not that hard to understand.  If you want a coca-cola, you just say it twice.

Now, I will throw a wrench into it.  When ordering in a restaurant when I was a kid, "I want a coke" was usually pretty settled on coca-cola immediately (unless you had to go through the pepsi diversion).  The coke-means-soda thing usually came up when I was headed out and asking my friends/family what they wanted.

I'm going to Stop and Go, what do you want?

I want a coke.

What kind?

Eh, Dr Pepper.

Ok.

It really wasn't that hard.

Edit: then, when I was in high school, Diet Coke came out.  This changed the restaurant equation.  "I want a coke" started to be followed by "diet or regular?"

"run" "2" "eat"

there are only 3064 survey respondents from indiana and a mere 3029 from warshington state, and the survey format is self-reporting, so i am sure based on all that, that it's 100% reliable.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Purdey

Self anointed title

My conclusion from this thread is that Americans drink too much soda/pop/coke/rubbish - and care about it far too much. Now where is my glass of claret?

"run" "2" "eat"

probably in your hand.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Purdey

Self anointed title

Winner.

Ostrich runner

Methinks your science suffers from some flaws.  The amount of heterogeneity they show by county in central Indiana is ludicrous.  I do appreciate their effort though.  People here are not as southern as the map claims....closer to the river, yes, the tooth counts correlate more with Kentucky.

Growing up we used the generic "coke." I don't hear it nearly as much now. I have heard people in Atlanta typify Pepsi as the Southern drink.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Methinks your science suffers from some flaws.

1. All science has flaws.

2. This is not my science.

3. It is a study of terms used for soft drinks.  I would not impose too much oversight on it.

"run" "2" "eat"

welcome back, trent!

MrH

2. This is not my science.

IKR. As if your life's work would be as useful as researching regional names for soda.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

"run" "2" "eat"

cauldron bottom thickness?

L Train

cauldron bottom thickness?

Why is it sideways?

Nah.  But, its true though, there is a problem.  I just get annoyed when people blame one thing without thinking it through.  Diet soda doesn't make you fat.  But the behavior associated with drinking diet soda can.

Hey, believe me, I'm fat.  Used to be thin.  I don't know what happened in the last 5 years, but I'm now 60 pounds more than I was in 2006.

Sure, I got lazy.  Ate more.  Drank more.  And now I'm paying the price with high blood pressure, a higher resting heart rate, "fat clothes" that never seem to fit.  i can't run more than 2 miles now when I ran a marathon in 2005.

But there is no single one factor that I can point to that caused this to happen.  Other than my own shoddy willpower.  I am not going to blame it on society or diet soft drinks.  It's my fault.

This is still reductive reasoning, and it is likely good as it focuses your attention on what you can control. But other people's wills are not what I can control, so this reasoning doesn't help me too much, you see, as someone who cares about the obesity epidemic in America today. So your reasoning is good for solving your problem, but for understanding the causes of that "epidemic" (which is a sort of strange way to call the event of obesity in America), it is highly problematic.