Walking a race (Read 1589 times)

I know several people who only walk marathons. They enter 'walker friendly' events, start with the walkers, don't interfere with the runners, etc. What many of you don't seem to know is that they train just as zealously as runners do. They have mileage milestones, training plans, paces that they have to meet. They get out and do LSD on Saturdays - walking 20 miles or thereabouts. They are not strolling. They don't bring balloons, kids, strollers, or cell phones to the races (they do bring them on training walks for safety reasons). They are competitive within their own community. They respect runners but they don't envy them or aspire to be runners. They work on walking form since 26.2 miles of pavement in 6 hours is a tough walk and poor form leads to big injuries. Some of them are even race walkers who can walk faster than I could ever run. Not everyone aspires to being a runner. They are paying entrance fees, just like the runners, and they are supporting the whole community, runners, walkers, racewalkers. If they aren't in your way, what difference does it make to you that they are out there? If they are paying their way, which helps support the event, what difference does it make to you that they are out there?
    Have you got a flag?
    pandajenn19

They respect runners but they don't envy them or aspire to be runners.
      I could quote the whole post, because it's perfect. Smile But this part is really something I imagine most runners don't realize, and it's very important. The walkers that I know are not ever planning to be runners, they are training to be faster walkers.
      mikeymike

And 26.2 miles is 26.2 miles, whether you run 6 minute miles, 13 minute miles, or whatever.
        No. It's not. It just isn't. I am certain about this one. I hear what you're saying and in general I agree with the rest of your post but not that part. I'd like to point out as well that nowhere in my post did I mention marathons. And nowhere did I say that someone who's walking a race can't possibly be giving an honest effort. Nowhere did I say that marathons are not tough for slow people. And I was pretty clear in saying it's not about speed, but effort. Yet my post was read as, "people who walk marathons are not trying." The righteous indignation side hears what it wants when the elitst prick side of the isle speaks. And vice versa probably. This was the point of the thread right?

Runners run

I wish more people would get up and go walk 26.2 miles. Or 13.1 or 3.1 or even a mile. I wholeheartedly support any exercise from crawling to EP pace. Even so, the fact is that, historically, road races are running events. That's why they're called "races." I would agree with the idea that races should have seperate walking events for those who fully intend to walk the entire distance.

Cause I CAN

I didnt want to enter a 5K untill I knew I could run the whole thing in practice first...but that is just ME...if someone wants to walk a 5k or even a marathon...more power to them...doesnt cause me any harm
            Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
            http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Maybe they should have walking marathons seperately... Personally I have no problem with people walking as long as they stay out of the way of those of us who are racing. When I did the Ironman there was a lot of walkers on the marathon course but they pretty much stayed to the right and didn't clog up the road. That was nice.
              If there were walking ahead marathons, then there would be this same thread on some site somewhere, maybe www.walkingahead.com where there would be the stuck up fast walkers complaining about the slow elderly hard of hearing walkers with canes walking 5 abreast. Then there would be all the other posters on both sides who don't understand why everyone else in the world doesn't have their exact same point of view....even after that point of view gets stated over and over.
              Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Cause I CAN

Does this really bother people that much? I guess I really dont get it Confused
                Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                Sulli42

race n. 1. Sports a. A competition of speed, as in running or riding. b. races A series of such competitions held at a specified time on a regular course 2. An extended competition in which participants struggle like runners to be the winner. v. raced, rac·ing, rac·es v.intr. 1. Sports To compete in a contest of speed. 2. To move rapidly or at top speed: We raced home. My heart was racing with fear.
                    here in NZ every single road race from 5k to marathon (or every one i've come across so far) has separate running and walking races. some start together - some start separately. all are recognised as separate events in their own right with their own prize structures. in the running events some people run fast and some run slow. in the walking events some walk fast and some walk slow. i just don't get the problem.
                    Scout7

As I've mentioned before, I do not care if you decide to do the race on your hands and knees. Just be aware that there are other people there as well, who may want to pass you. Be courteous, learn the rules, and pay attention to your surroundings. This means being able to hear and respond appropriately when someone says "On your left!" in a loud, clear voice. This means not walking with your friends 5 abreast, making it difficult or impossible to pass your group. This means lining up in an appropriate spot at the start. This means not blocking other people's way. You wanna walk a marathon, that's your deal. I wanna run. I don't disrupt your enjoyment of the course, don't disrupt mine.

Big Chicken!

I am a run/walker. I call myself a runner since that is what I do more of. My friends who can finish a marathon in sub-4 or even sub-3:30 times call me a runner. DH, a long-time runner working toward a sub-4 marathon, calls me a runner. I ran/walked a marathon this year. I will run/walk the same marathon in January 2009. I will not ever start near the front. That is just common sense. I don't like slow walkers holding me back; I wouldn't think to do that to fast runners. I always turn my head back before switching to walking to be sure I don't get in someone's way. I don't expect to finsih in 4 hours but I am working toward a 5 hour finish this year (and secretly hope I can even pull off a 4:59 just to have that 4-something Wink). I have already begun training and the marathon is still 10 months away. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the marathon and am really looking forward to going again. I decided to run/walk because it is a better fit for me. I tried running in the not so distant past (11 weeks after I began running). I'd get past 30 minutes and everything would just suck. My form sucked. My times sucked. My attitude sucked. I hated getting out there. When I chose to switch to run/walk, my times improved markedly (for me; I am still slow). My form improved greatly. I love lacing up and getting outside. And I walk faster than just about anyone I know. The only issue I have is having to constantly defend myself and my choice to run/walk. Maybe one day I will improve enough to just run and drop the walks, but for now I am happy to do it my way. And if just one more person decides to love the sport of running, isn't that a good thing? And those speed walkers can certainly kick my a$$. They can be pretty speedy. [BTW, I fully support the idea of walk only events and run only events. Of course, I don't know where I'd fit in. Smile I hate the idea of really slow runners or walkers taking part in the Boston Marathon. I'd find runners in a 3 Day Walk to be wrong as well.]
                        Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                        mikeymike

I hate the idea of really slow runners or walkers taking part in the Boston Marathon.
                          At Boston, slow runners or even walkers do not bother me at all. Boston specifically reserves a small percentage of the entries for charity runners and all runners are seeded by qualifying time--with those charity runners who didn't qualify at the very end of the pack. I think it's fair for everyone. Much better than a huge mass free-for-all start like most big city marathons.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

At Boston, slow runners or even walkers do not bother me at all. Boston specifically reserves a small percentage of the entries for charity runners and all runners are seeded by qualifying time--with those charity runners who didn't qualify at the very end of the pack. I think it's fair for everyone. Much better than a huge mass free-for-all start like most big city marathons.
                            Would be nice if all races did this...at least all larger races. The first year I ran the Grand Rapids half it was still a fairly small race (I think this was the 3rd year for it)...I lined up with my expected pace sign and never had any issues getting around people. But last year was different...I think they allowed 2x as many people to register. There is a section of the course that is very narrow about a mile in and I got stuck behind a group of people running a solid 2 minutes slower than my HM PR pace...after mile stuck in that clump I resigned myself to not try to PR that race...and I think I ended up about 3-4 minutes slower than my previous PR. It is a mystery to me how folks think they are at some advantage to line up in a faster pace group during a chipped race. I'd rather line up slow, which helps to keep from going out too hard at the start...then after a few miles it's fun to start passing peeps. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'd rather line up slow, which helps to keep from going out too hard at the start...then after a few miles it's fun to start passing peeps.
                              Yup. Passing is fun (so long as they're not all walking 5-abreast), having people stream past you sucks. Better to be the passer than the passee.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

here in NZ every single road race from 5k to marathon (or every one i've come across so far) has separate running and walking races. ... in the walking events some walk fast and some walk slow. i just don't get the problem.
                                I don't either. Is the world of running reserved for those who race and all others should get off the bus? I'm feeling a bit put out by this thread. I am running to get and now stay fit, to stop smoking those odd cigarettes at parties and because I plain enjoy it. I plan to run a half marathon in a race because I'll be timed and have support. I am not racing anyone else, just proving to myself what I can do. I'm not "racing" per say, so should I not sign up? If I know two weeks ahead due to a problem that I probably will have to walk part of the race, should I not start? If I can't run 10 miles or don't choose to, but want to walk it, what's so awful about that. If the walkers, half marathoners and others are getting in the way of competitive runners then it sounds like a race organisation problem.