What does Brian Sell do at Home Depot? (Read 1146 times)

Awesome. My wife (who is from Beijing but lived here for the past 20 years) is amazed that Team USA, for the most part, are just normal everyday people with jobs. Very different concept from China.
    Brian Sell and a few others are more like exceptions. Ryan Hall, Kara Goucher (& her hubby), Lagat, , Gay, Felix, Sanya Richards, Phelps all have no other jobs other than running and swimming. And I almost forgot. Deana Kastor also has no other job. Her job is running. Who else? I think all the top US runners have no jobs. Same as China, Russia, or other countries. So are Mistry-May and Kerri Wash. Their job is beach volleyball. When Brian Sell made it to the world stage as a top runner in the world, I think he won't have to work in Home Depot any more. I do admire Brian Sell and those who work at Home Depot. I think his work ethics has been awesome. He is a winner no matter how he does in the Olympic (Frankly, he won't get into top 10 or even top 20) But your statement in general is incorrect.
    JakeKnight

But your statement in general is incorrect.
      Do you have any actual data to back that up? Are at least 51% of the US team actually full time professionals? I'm reasonably sure that KenCamet got it exactly right - that the marquee names you mention are actually the exceptions and not the rule. I could be wrong. Post the stats for the whole team if you've got them.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

I don't have data. But I only pay attention to swimming and track and field. Besides Brian Bell, Mary Weinburg, who else on the T&F team or swimming team actually have jobs. Do you have the data to back that up that 51% of T&F and swimming Olympians have jobs? If so, then I will retract my statement. For a fact, I know Tyson Gay, Wariner, Sanya Richards, Merrit, Lolo Jones, Phelps, the Gouchers, Flanagan, Jen Rhines, Tori Edwards, Alison Felix, .... all have no other jobs. It is nothing wrong with that. But why guys always want to put down athletes from other countries. I just don't understand why.
        xor

I don't have data... Do you have the data... If so, then I will retract my statement.
          Interesting. 51% of message board disagreements go like this. (I see both sides. People do diss other countries because SOME athletes get to train full time, which is true in the US as well.... SOME train full time and get paid big bucks. Many others have jobs. And some are in between. They do lots of endorsement/appearance work which is where their cash comes in. This may not seem like work. Except that it can be a LOT of work. Might not be useful to society like being a teacher or (fill in the job) but it is still work.)

JakeKnight

I don't have data.
            Okay. But it might be good to actually have facts before you tell somebody they're wrong about something. Don'tcha think? Does anybody actually know? They must list this stuff somewhere. The only ones I've heard about are the softball team. Who all work so very hard at their day jobs. As MSNBC told me over and over, along with some inspirational music. Except that cute blond pitcher doesn't have to work, because she's cute and blond and the pitcher.
            It is nothing wrong with that. But why guys always want to put down athletes from other countries. I just don't understand why.
            Who was putting down other countries? You mean that line up there about how it explains China's medal count? Or did I miss a post somewhere?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Menace to Sobriety

Okay. But it might be good to actually have facts before you tell somebody they're wrong about something. Don'tcha think?
              That's crazy talk.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love that the 3rd grade teacher in the video has plans to bring Brian to meet her class. What an inspiration for those kids. And the perfect age for kids to get the running bug! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Don't count Brian out on Sunday. No one really expected him to be in the top three back in November either. Last month my son participated in Hanson's XC camp. Brian led his group for two days. He is a terrific inspiration and is such a normal, nice guy.
                    Okay. But it might be good to actually have facts before you tell somebody they're wrong about something. Don'tcha think? Does anybody actually know? They must list this stuff somewhere. The only ones I've heard about are the softball team. Who all work so very hard at their day jobs. As MSNBC told me over and over, along with some inspirational music. Except that cute blond pitcher doesn't have to work, because she's cute and blond and the pitcher. Who was putting down other countries? You mean that line up there about how it explains China's medal count? Or did I miss a post somewhere?
                    Ok, let's not get into heated discussion about this. The amateur ideal of the Olympics has been buried in the past. If you really need some data, just look at the Olympians. Besides the T&F & swimming, e.g. the whole basketball team is pro, the majority of the women b ball team is pro. Pretty much the whole baseball team, the majority of the women soccer team, the whole soccer team. The whole women table tennis team from US were ex national team players from China. The list goes on and on. For any country who send more than 50 people to the Olympics, there will not be more than a handful of them with more amateur athletes than pros. There is nothing wrong with that. Audience wants to see the best athletes. And I don't think anyone wants to see amateurs anyway, unless the performance is the same.
                    xor

For any country who send more than 50 people to the Olympics, there will not be more than a handful of them with more amateur athletes than pros.
                      How many athletes fit in "a handful"? I'm going to assume you mean "a few". This is simply NOT TRUE in the case of the United States, especially factoring in the winter games. It isn't. YOU go look it up.

How many athletes fit in "a handful"? I'm going to assume you mean "a few". This is simply NOT TRUE in the case of the United States, especially factoring in the winter games. It isn't. YOU go look it up.
                        I meant only a handful of countries at most with more amateur athletes than pros. And I was just mentioning the summer games. The winter game is a different story. It is hard to get sponsors. And it helps if your parents are willing to sell a home (in the case of Michelle Kwan) or rich enough to sponsor you. Most of the ice skaters come from pretty well-off families. Other countries may not have families that are rich enough to spend $100k+ a year to train their sons and daughters. And for the T&F, how many of you are rich enough to travel in first class flights. I am not. But a lot of the pro runners do, like the Gouchers'.

Feeling the growl again

Sell spent a number of years with no job except running. While I don't know for sure, I think he probably started the Home Depot gig to make room on the Hanson's team to fund a newer up-and-comer. I'm not counting a few hrs a week in their shoe stores as a real job outside running here, I believe for most of them that is a condition of being on the team (yes it's not sitting on the couch, but I've been there and bought shoes from them and it's nothing like Home Depot).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

And for the T&F, how many of you are rich enough to travel in first class flights. I am not. But a lot of the pro runners do, like the Gouchers'.
                            Tip for you: next time you get on a plane, check the people in first class. Most of them aren't rich. They are frequent travelers who have gotten upgraded w/o paying first class prices. As for "a lot of pro runners", how on earth do you really know this? Do you work for an airline? Have you seen manifests? And even if you HAVE seen some elite runners in first class, how do you know that they paid for this? It sounds to me like you read a story about the Gouchers specifically. You keep bringing them up. Great, they get paid to run. Ok. And some people travel first class. Also, ok. And lots of people on the US team, like other countries, get paid. Ok. But many MANY do not. Edited to add: there's also a big difference between getting paid a stipend to buy food while you train, and being a rich jet-setter, which is what you are implying. Outside of basketball, baseball, and a FEW T&F elites, this isn't the case.

Tip for you: next time you get on a plane, check the people in first class. Most of them aren't rich. They are frequent travelers who have gotten upgraded w/o paying first class prices. As for "a lot of pro runners", how on earth do you really know this? Do you work for an airline? Have you seen manifests? And even if you HAVE seen some elite runners in first class, how do you know that they paid for this? It sounds to me like you read a story about the Gouchers specifically. You keep bringing them up. Great, they get paid to run. Ok. And some people travel first class. Also, ok. And lots of people on the US team, like other countries, get paid. Ok. But many MANY do not. Edited to add: there's also a big difference between getting paid a stipend to buy food while you train, and being a rich jet-setter, which is what you are implying. Outside of basketball, baseball, and a FEW T&F elites, this isn't the case.
                              You kept mentioning a lot of Olympians are not paid to run. So, please give me some names besides Brian Sell and Mary Weinburg (whom I mentioned to you). You can probably make a case for several college kid sprinters but that's it. I have already given you at least 10 names from T&F who are pros with no jobs. I keep mentioning that there is nothing wrong with being paid to compete. It is the new norm. It is ok. Nothing wrong with it. Yes, in fact, I got upgraded to 1st class several times but the pro runners have lucrative shoe deals here in US, some in the millions and most at least several hundred grams a year. If you are not as good but you can run in the low to mid 14 min range for a 5k, you can try out for the farm team. You will get paid (not a lot) but can make a living running. AGAIN, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A PRO RUNNER!

AGAIN, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A PRO RUNNER!
                                But there is (apparently) something wrong with trying to take away our superiority complex by not allowing us to believe that we are all still amateurs in the olympics, which also gives the hope that we might one day get there (or our kids will.) Sorry...just don't see anything worthwhile being discussed unless somebody actually pulls the numbers. Wink

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)