Drinking on long runs? (Read 2045 times)

milehighrunner

I hate to carry fluids when I run. I usually do a loop run and hide fluids in the bushes or in my car. That is just my preference though. I know many runners use the camelbacks or fuel belts.

Junior Amphibian

It really depends on the weather and how much you sweat. Some people sweat very little, some people a lot, even if they're running at the same pace. You can weigh yourself before and after a run, and estimate how much water you lose, then calculate how much you would lose during your long run. If it's only 1-3% of your body weight, you can probably save yourself the trouble and not bring any drink. But at around 5% is where you hit dehydration.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

I'm training for my first marathon in June (San Diego). My girlfriend and I have done three long runs without much difficutly (6, 7 and 5 miles). This week we have a long run of 9 and 10 the following week. We were wondering what other people do to stay hydrated on long runs. We're not sure if we should carry water bottles, not drink anything, or possibly hide them along our route. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input. Quinn
        On long runs I really like to take along a fifth of tequilla and take a swig at every mile. I find it keeps me well hydrated and makes the run a ton of fun. Then when you finish the bottle because the miles seem to get closer and closer, you can just toss the bottle on the side of the road so you don't have to carry it home. Clowning around OK on a serious note though, Whenever I do any run of 10 miles or more I will bring along some Gatorade. Anything under that, even if it's only 3 miles, I still bring my water bottle with me. Anything 15 miles and over is when I start to bring things to eat such as gels, sport beans (one of my favs) pretzels, etc. Also as the weather gets warmer and my runs get in the 15+ mile range, I will wear my Camelbak which holds 70 ounces of water and I just make sure I bring along extra gels and stuff to eat for electrolytes.
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Burninated Peasant

How is it that a thread with this title exists with only two references to alcohol? Perhaps alcohol usage is a more advanced strategy not fit for "Running 101"?
            I know I was disappointed when I opened the thread. Alcohol does fit better with the 'Beer Mile' than long runs though.
            andyndallas

I usually wear a Fuel-Belt with 4 bottles of water and it also has a pouch for gels. Sometimes I put watered down gatorade in two of the bottles for running longer than 45 minutes. I usually drink water for the first 45, then switch to gatorade/water mix.
              ...and miles to go before I sleep
                Figbash is right, the only way to tell how much water your body is losing during runs is to weigh yourself before and after the run, and assuming you only lost it through perspiration (not potty breaks) that will tell you how much you need to replace. More than 3% bodyweight is certainly at the point where you should be hydrating more. FWIW, any dehydration will affect your muscles, blood, etc. Do you want your heart working to pump blood that is getting thicker and thicker all the time? In hot weather don't forget electrolyte replacement. I always carry some Endurolyte capsules on runs over a couple hours in the summertime, that's all I need with water. Some people like sport drinks that have the right electrolyte balance... Most people will lose about 8 oz every 15 to 20 minutes while running. It depends on the individual, though. For most folks, one should assume 8 oz every 15 minutes, unless you know better. Anytime the temperature is in the 60s or above, I lose about a quart an hour. Just another note - you don't want to get to the 20 mile point in the marathon with your body dehydrated.
                  I carry a water/fuel belt for anything over 8-10 miles. It just depends on what the weather is like. I like to have the water there in case I need or want it, and don't like having to depend on a drinking fountain being there/clean/usable. As far as San Diego weather (I am typing from my office in downtown SD), you just never now. It could be cool/fair weather, or it could be freaking warm and humid. June weather is iffy...it could be the June gloom, or not.
                  Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                  easytarget

I don't bring anything anymore for 18 or less, weather-dependent. If I do bring something, I have a waist pack Camelback that works nicely.
                    Would love to see you attempt 18mi in Texas in August. Come on down and give it a whirl, I promise not to stand over you and laugh when you black out at mi 12
                      Just a bit concerned here... In the context of the marathon, the runs you are doing now are not long runs, they are warmups. Are you sure you will be ready by June? Don't push too hard to reach that goal, and if in doubt drink some water.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Hannibal Granite

Would love to see you attempt 18mi in Texas in August. Come on down and give it a whirl, I promise not to stand over you and laugh when you black out at mi 12
                        I've done that, in fact I've done as much as 22 in Texas summers w/o water ( I ran in the early AM, but still really hot and humid) As for the original question I don't like to carry things with me when I run, but if it is going to be a hot day I'll run past a park that has a water fountain. Stashing bottles along the route is a good idea as well although I've never done it I know several people who have.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I think it's a good idea to take some water with you -Mayby not to prevent dehydration i the beginning, but simply to pratice -the "art" of drinking while running. Your going to able to drink anyway at your marathon, so why not pratice it? Personally -For my short / medium jogs I have a little bottle / "fuel-buddy" that fit's nicely into the back-pocket in "most" of my tights. For a longer jog I use a belt. lafoca
                          Scout7

What's the point of this comment?
                            C-R

Chest thumping - Scout. It's a cave man thing. Saw it on Discovery Channel special once.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Double IPA Please!

I have a Camelback waist pack that I use on my long runs- but on short ones I do not. However, with the weather getting warmer I might bring something along if the heat gets too bad. Otherwise no drinking on shorter runs. I did 8 miles the other day and actually brought my Camel back because it was warm(er) outside and I am so glad that I did quite honestly.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)