New knee pain (Read 698 times)

Ok, here's my story. I'm a 20-something female runner. In December, I ran a half-marathon. Between then and March, my running decreased significantly as life got a bit busier and I wasn't training for anything specific. Over the past month, life REALLY got in the way and running REALLY got put on the back burner. (We're talking... 3 times running... 3 or 4 miles each time... for the past month). Last week, I went for a 3 mile run on Thursday. This past Sunday I ran 5 miles. Today I ran a little over 5 miles. The past few days I've had a little bit of knee pain I've never had before in my left knee. It gets kind of stiff and is more irritating than anything. Comes and goes, sometimes drives me crazy. Even when just sitting down, not doing anything. Haven't had knee pain in years, so it's hard for me to describe or even pinpoint where it's coming from, but it seems to be the kneecap. Tonight, just sitting around, the pain started up again. A little more intense than earlier this afternoon, but went away after a little while. Again, it's more irritating than "I can't walk!"-painful. But what could this be? Just a random irritation? Should I just ice it and keep running?

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Uh oh...this sounds almost exactly like the knee crap I battled for most of last Summer. How many miles are on your shoes? When's the last time you had your gait analyzed? What was an almost complete cure for me was throwing a pair of Superfeet insoles in my shoes. I tried new shoes, but that didn't help, since they were a bit more stable, but also stiffer and gave me peroneal tendon issues. With the Superfeet I was able to add some medial stability, without messing with the forward flex of the shoe. Does the pain seem at all like it is concentrated more on the inside side of your knee or outside and are there any clicking or popping sensations? If it's inside I'm guessing that it could be mild patellofemoral pain syndrome (ie "runner's knee"). Things that can help that would include more stability and/or working to strengthen your quad muscles (I did both). The quad strengthening can help keep your kneecap tracking properly. If the pain is more outside, then it could be an ITBS issue, which I don't know as much about, since I've not personally battled that demon...yet. Hope I never do.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Old, Slow, Happy

Tangerine I've been battling injury issues since last August. They started just like your's. I have very flat feet and I now have custom orthotics and lifts in my left shoe. My biggest issue is my right quad and hip flexor. I can't run without ibuprofen. I have injured and prolinged recovery by running when I was limping. My most important advice is: Don't run if the pain causes you to limp while you're running. It will cause many more problems. I think, maybe, you are pushing your return to activity since having to take so much time away. Take it easy and ramp up slowly. Good Luck!!!
          Zoom, Shoes aren't too old... I got them shortly before the half. But again, haven't put TOO many miles in since. Unfortunately, I stopped logging my miles after the race. I would imagine I'm getting close to being due for new kicks, but I don't think so just yet. However, I was wondering about shoes on my run, because the balls of my feet were hurting. That used to happen to me at around 9 or 10 miles, not at 4 or 5. I was thinking that maybe they ARE getting worn down in that part of the shoe. (Or maybe I need some inserts?) Pain is inside. Clicking and popping... I always have clicking and popping. Nothing new. As for quads, curiously enough, my quads were more tight than normal after that first 5 miler (which I could feel for the first mile or two yesterday as well). Quads were always strong in the past, maybe I've lost some of that strength. Richard, I too have flat feet. I've (like I said) wondered about inserts. Thanks for your advice... I definitely will not run with a limp. That has bad news written all over it!

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pain is inside. Clicking and popping... I always have clicking and popping. Nothing new. As for quads, curiously enough, my quads were more tight than normal after that first 5 miler (which I could feel for the first mile or two yesterday as well). Quads were always strong in the past, maybe I've lost some of that strength.
            I have always had clicking and popping, too--only it got worse and was accompanied by pain...which seemed to radiate mostly from the inside and lower parts of my knees. Quads may be strong, but if your hamstrings are also strong that could be the issue--quads should still be stronger. Runners are notorious for having overly strong hammies. But I think your sudden return to higher mileage is probably the culprit. Still, it may not be a bad idea to talk to your doc and/or get in for a gait assessment at a good running store. Even if your shoes are not too old, your biomechanical needs may have changed in some small way.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay