The Gym is a Freak Show (Read 1287 times)

xhristopher

I have tried them a few times -- no sir, I don't like them.

Not sure what it is, but they do seem to make you work too hard...

I'd like to think I've got a reasonable feel for effort/pace on the road so when equivalent effort was 60-90 seconds slower on that thing I was like WTF? What's the point of that?

I'm curious to try a different one and see if that is just how they are.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Huh.  Yeah, that looks like the one I used.  And you like the belt ones better?

I'll admit I don't have a lot o treadmill experience -- but the gym has about 8 Woodways and 8 belt driven models.  The Woodways are in the choice gym position (right behind the ellipticals).  They're always the first to fill up.  Though I guess that could be because of the view, rather than the experience.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

HermosaBoy

We are talking about the treadmill with the rubberized wooden planks instead of a rubber belt, right?

Correct.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Latent Runner

I suppose if I'm ever forced to run on a dreadmill as opposed to a snowy or icy snowmobile trail, I would probably delighted at how fast I'd be able to turn a mile on a Woodway, I mean hey, can't be any slower than slogging through mushy snow.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
          xhristopher

Huh.  Yeah, that looks like the one I used.  And you like the belt ones better?

I actually like running outside better but I've temporarily caved due to single digits, teens, ice, and shit in general. I've never even seen a woodway before this week so all my treadmill experience has been on what's been available to me.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I actually like running outside better but I've temporarily caved due to single digits, teens, ice, and shit in general. I've never even seen a woodway before this week so all my treadmill experience has been on what's been available to me.

oh . . . well, yeah.

I did a workout two weeks ago (progression run), on a TM.  What should have been easy outside on the track, turned incredibly hard on the TM.  Might have been a combo of Speed not really matching, or 70F and zero breeze, or alone, or just #dreamill.

I'd be interested to know if you like another TM besides the Woodway.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Latent Runner

oh . . . well, yeah.

I did a workout two weeks ago (progression run), on a TM.  What should have been easy outside on the track, turned incredibly hard on the TM.  Might have been a combo of Speed not really matching, or 70F and zero breeze, or alone, or just #dreamill.

It seems that easy is as easy does...

Road and track runners think trail running is hard.

Trail runners think road and track work is hard.

Treadmill runners think running outside on a cold day is hard.

Cold weather runners (regardless of whether they're road, track, or trail) think treadmill running is hard.

For me, I can wrap my brain around road work, a limited amount of track work, and lots of trail work (even if it's covered in mushy snow), what I cannot get my brain to accept is running on a dreadmill.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

At what point can we declare that calling it a “dreadmill” has ceased being cute?

Maybe I just have a case of the Mondays or need a staycation because I kind of am having a bromance with my dreadmill.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Dreadmill? No more, never. I've fallen hard for my treadmill. Well it's not mine actually, and there's not one in particular. Really I love any of the treadmills at the Planet Fitness in Reading, MA.

I love them. There I said it.

I am having my best winter of training ever and I have a pretty decent sample size of winters. The treadmill has allowed me to not miss a beat whatsoever due to weather. I have not made a single concession to the weather and I feel completely fresh as I get into the heart of my training. I have been able to get in serious quality workouts on the treadmill that would have been impossible outside and I have been able to keep my easy days truly easy.

I have done a grand total of 13 runs on the treadmill this winter but those 13 have been the difference been an okay winter of training and the best winter of training I've ever had.

Sure I could have gone out and slogged out some runs in the snow/slush/sub-zero-temps on those days that I used the treadmill. I've done it plenty of winters and feel no need to establish my street cred. But those would have been survival runs and of little training value. Usually by this point in the winter I am fairly weary from so many cold, dark early am runs slipping on ice and rolling ankles and I'm tired all the time. Right now I feel GREAT. And I'm about as fit as I've ever been on January 30th.

I've still done my share of icy runs--all my long runs and hill workouts have been outside--but it's amazing how much easier those are to handle when you can get a break from the cold a couple times a week without having to compromise on training at all.

Runners run

Funny, I just posted my own ode to the treadmill yesterday in one of the dailies threads I frequent.

Over the last few weeks I think I may have finally made my peace with the treadmill. Lord knows we have spent plenty of quality time getting to know each other. I just checked & found I have done 9 of my last 12 runs on it. But right now my main goal is to try to get in the miles, and that thing is always there ready to oblige. Takes the pressure off of worrying so much about the weather; if I can get out, great, if not, so be it. Mother Nature can beat me down, but not defeat me. I am left with only making sure I have one outdoor-runnable day on a weekend for a LR; I have yet to give in to doing that on the treadmill (although Shari has proven it can be done, and of course Lily is sitting back & laughing at us right now).

It is always going to be much more drudgery than an outdoor run (under any conditions). And while motivating yourself to get up super-early to run is tough, and motivating yourself to get on the treadmill is tough, for some reason I have gotten into the habit of combining the two. It just works out best timing-wise. I really have to psyche myself up just to get on the thing, and for several miles I am sure I am not going to be able to finish. But somehow it gets done.

So if you only want to run to enjoy running, stick to the outdoors, and run as conditions permit. But if you are committed to get miles in or stick to a training plan, the TM can be your friend. Thanks for listening.

And my Planet Fitness is in Novi, MI.

Dave

xhristopher

oh . . . well, yeah.

If you are hitting your goal paces on that woodway I declare you sub 2:30 fit for Boston.

I don't have a favorite. I've not been using them much for the past couple years. Pretty much any gym quality treadmill in good repair is fine by me. I just hit quick start and go.

Latent Runner

Sorry folks, it is and always will be a "dreadmill" to me.  Y'all may love the convenience of using those contraptions, but to me, just the thought of a 3-hour run while standing in one spot is enough to get me to hang up my training flats until spring time.

FWIW, I live up in New Hampshire, and I just checked my training log for January, I've missed five days so far due to the weather conditions; even still, it looks like I'll be able to log something like 250 miles by this Friday.  That said, some of the days I've missed weren't so much because the conditions weren't conducive to running outside, but because I had to do extra horse duty on days when I had to keep them in the barn due to the cold.

Fat old man PRs:

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I do lots of my running in the 8:00-8:30 range, comfortably. But, I labor to run even 8:40ish on the treadmill. I just haven't been able to reproduce the effort/east I have on asphalt (or the indoor track) on the treadmill. As long as I'm within horseshoe/hand grenade range of my outdoor running pace when I'm on the treadmill, I consider that a win.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Correct.

That looks like the dog-walker thing from the Jetsons.

CT JEFF

I also love the TM. Id rather be outside running, but its nice to be able to run fast and not worry about ice. Or not procrastinate / skip a run because of the weather. I used the TM last winter, and forgot all about it all spring, summer and fall. But here's January and she holds no grudges. How can you complain if she is good enough not to?

Some of the reasons I love the TM:

-I am able to spend more time with my kids

-I am able to get more runs in

-I can run in shorts regardless of temps

-I dont have to carry my hydration

-I dont have to worry about earphones falling out

-I dont have to strain to see the trail in the dark

-I can 'dial in' my run and force myself to push it. - most of my runs are out and back, I need to decide in the middle if I can push farther

-If I need a potty break, it is clean and convenient

-If I get hurt, help is very close // I dont need to drag my injury back home.

-No mosquitos / deer flies / gnats

That looks like the dog-walker thing from the Jetsons.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!