How do you feel about rising obesity levels in America and Europe? (Read 458 times)

MilesDog

Eat real food, cut out all high fructose corn syrup, and eat more butter.  Fat is not the enemy.

BeeRunB

Bacteria from Lean Mice Prevent Obesity in Peers

The link is to an article I read in a magazine made of trees while on an airplane (which is when I usually read Scientific American).

What it suggests to me is that perhaps the obesity problem is not just a simple belief of "calories in vs. calories burned." There has been ample food in the USA for a long time, but the obesity problem is relatively recent. Perhaps the cause of wanting to eat more and more is in something like imbalanced flora, caused by something that's in the food or by pharmaceuticals.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, so I'm not really up to speed on the current research. But in my near complete ignorant layman's peripheral, I've been noticing research that is pointing to the possibility that many of our intestinal ills are really a bacterial imbalance problem, and the conditions can be improved or eliminated with a rebalancing (with e.g. a fecal implant). Perhaps, a healthy gut=a healthy, lean body.

Joann Y

Bacteria from Lean Mice Prevent Obesity in Peers

The link is to an article I read in a magazine made of trees while on an airplane (which is when I usually read Scientific American).

What it suggests to me is that perhaps the obesity problem is not just a simple belief of "calories in vs. calories burned." There has been ample food in the USA for a long time, but the obesity problem is relatively recent. Perhaps the cause of wanting to eat more and more is in something like imbalanced flora, caused by something that's in the food or by pharmaceuticals.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, so I'm not really up to speed on the current research. But in my near complete ignorant layman's peripheral, I've been noticing research that is pointing to the possibility that many of our intestinal ills are really a bacterial imbalance problem, and the conditions can be improved or eliminated with a rebalancing (with e.g. a fecal implant). Perhaps, a healthy gut=a healthy, lean body.

This is what I thought was interesting -

So the team fed the mice a more human diet, turning foods such as breakfast cereal and pizza into pellets for the mice. When the animals were fed a diet low in saturated fat and high in fruit and vegetables, the transfer of gut microbes from mice with the lean type to those with the obese type still occurred; however, when the mice were given a high-fat, low-vegetable diet this did not happen, and mice with the obese-type bacteria gained weight. “There’s an intricate relationship between our diet and how our gut bugs work,” says Gordon. “You have to have the right ingredients.”

A diet high in fruits and vegetables appears to still be key, at least in this study on mice. here's the original article - http://www.univie.ac.at/mcogneu/lit/ridaura.pdf    It will be really interesting to see where the research goes with this.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Some have implicated overuse of antibiotics as a cause of obesity.

Joann Y

Yes. Some have implicated overuse of antibiotics as a cause of obesity.

I remember reading something about that. It's all very fascinating.

There is a book called "Sugar, Salt, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us" by Michael Moss.  It's worth reading to understand how the consumer has been manipulated by food manufacturers.

"The book starts off with exposing an unprecedented secret meeting that took place in April of 1999, which brought together all of the major players in the food industry.

The Pentaverate strikes again!

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

HermosaBoy

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

kk_kittenkat

Eat real food, cut out all high fructose corn syrup, and eat more butter.  Fat is not the enemy.

i think there is much to be said for eating real food. proper ingredients and smaller portions and avoid any food that's labelled as 'diet', eat less but eat well.

*Jumps off soapbox with a low bow*

*Jumps off soapbox with a low bow*

Sorry to change the subject, but your cat is adorable!!  Is that a Manx?

kk_kittenkat

Sorry to change the subject, but your cat is adorable!!  Is that a Manx?

<------------------------ Um, that's a rabbit!

I used to have a Scottish Fold cat. Google them, they're so cute.

Latent Runner

I attended two different elementary schools in the late 1950's and early 60's and I only remember there being one or two overweight students at each school, now when they show elementary students on TV there appears to be only one or two normal weight students at each  school. Portion sizes in restaurants have gotten larger, I totally avoid sit-down restaurants and when I eat at a fast food restaurant I order the kids meal and have plenty to eat. It was mentioned that they should tax auto drivers, but why not address the problem directly and tax each individual based on body mass index.

A few comments:

• A "Kids Meal" is no where near enough food for an active adult; that you eat like a bird doesn't mean it is appropriate for the rest of the world.
                        • Taxing individuals based upon the totally bogus BMI is dumber than taxing drivers.  I know lots of very fit and active folks with BMIs up near (or even into) the "Obese" category, and on any given day I happen to be one of them (meaning I'm "Obese" based upon my BMI).  Of course, how many truly "Obese" individuals do you know who run 70+ miles per week?
                        • Not that its even remotely realistic, but how about we convene an unbiased Blue-Ribbon Panel (whatever the hell that is) to evaluate commercial food additives (preservatives and sweeteners and such) and recommended food group intake (the food pyramid is a crock of crap).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                        • 2-mile: 13:49
                        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                        • 5-Mile: 37:24
                        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                        kk_kittenkat

A few comments:

• A "Kids Meal" is no where near enough food for an active adult; that you eat like a bird doesn't mean it is appropriate for the rest of the world.
                          • Taxing individuals based upon the totally bogus BMI is dumber than taxing drivers.  I know lots of very fit and active folks with BMIs up near (or even into) the "Obese" category, and on any given day I happen to be one of them (meaning I'm "Obese" based upon my BMI).  Of course, how many truly "Obese" individuals do you know who run 70+ miles per week?
                          • Not that its even remotely realistic, but how about we convene an unbiased Blue-Ribbon Panel (whatever the hell that is) to evaluate commercial food additives (preservatives and sweeteners and such) and recommended food group intake (the food pyramid is a crock of crap).

IF, but only IF a kids meal in America is proportionally representative of an adult meal in America. They it should be plenty.

However we need photos, anyone in a restaurant right now? Please help us decide this.

kcam

A few comments:

Under our new BMI-based Revenue Enhancement Program if you like your super-sized meal you can keep your super-sized meal.  Period.

Under our new BMI-based Revenue Enhancement Program if you like your super-sized meal you can keep your super-sized meal.  Period.

touche'

PDoe

Other than a BMI that says I'm borderline "overweight" (but I'll race most of ya), I have nothing to add. I was just wondering what this post had to do with "General Running".

????