How do you feel about rising obesity levels in America and Europe? (Read 458 times)

Feeling the growl again

I was just wondering what this post had to do with "General Running".

????

A troll, off topic?  About as surprising as said troll continuing to be fed.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Must be an obese troll by now

kk_kittenkat

Oh come on, it's not like any of these forums are lively. It's nice to have a topic to sink your teeth into! (See what I did there?)

kk_kittenkat

Must be an obese troll by now

Unless it lost it's appetite.

#artbydmcbride

http://observationdeck.io9.com/wtf-cat-breaks-into-zoo-makes-a-friend-1592314505

a man was pulled over and he had 6 penguins in the back seat.  the officer told him to take those penguins to the zoo.

a few hours later the officer saw the same man driving and the penguins were still in the back seat.  the officer pulled him over again and said "I thought I told you to take those penguins to the zoo!"

the man replied, "I did, and they loved it.  now we're going to the beach!"

kk_kittenkat

a man was pulled over and he had 6 penguins in the back seat.  the officer told him to take those penguins to the zoo.

a few hours later the officer saw the same man driving and the penguins were still in the back seat.  the officer pulled him over again and said "I thought I told you to take those penguins to the zoo!"

I can't believe I just laughed at this, but I did, and now I wish my 2 year old knew what penguins are so I could tell it to him.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

http://observationdeck.io9.com/wtf-cat-breaks-into-zoo-makes-a-friend-1592314505

That's sweet. The calico looks well fed now. Are you transitioning this thread to feline obesity?

RunNow

it's all just mouth service. 

While you're at it, you might want to edit that.

I just wish they'd kept all the fat asses off the trains and buses here in Chicagoland.  It really sucks when they're crowded and then some fat ass sits right next to you.  At least it would give them more reason to lose pounds if they didn't allow them to use public transportation.  I know airlines exclude them.

SheCan

That's sweet. The calico looks well fed now. Are you transitioning this thread to feline obesity?

fat cat on underwater TM

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Dream Maker

They talked about some in part of the book The Epigenetic Revolution.... including the Dutch Hunger Winter and the multigenerational effects --- what trimester mothers were in during the famine effected the weight over the lifetime of their children - and it appeared to continue from there...

It also talked about different studies in genetically identical agouti mice and activation of certain genes could lead to one mouse being obese with the exact same diet/exercise as its sibling.. and that's not even genetic differences, just epigenetic.

What genes did they talk about... Dnmt3 and Trim28, if I remember right....

It was an interesting book, and that was an interesting little bit of it.

Bacteria from Lean Mice Prevent Obesity in Peers

The link is to an article I read in a magazine made of trees while on an airplane (which is when I usually read Scientific American).

What it suggests to me is that perhaps the obesity problem is not just a simple belief of "calories in vs. calories burned." There has been ample food in the USA for a long time, but the obesity problem is relatively recent. Perhaps the cause of wanting to eat more and more is in something like imbalanced flora, caused by something that's in the food or by pharmaceuticals.

I'm not a scientist or a doctor, so I'm not really up to speed on the current research. But in my near complete ignorant layman's peripheral, I've been noticing research that is pointing to the possibility that many of our intestinal ills are really a bacterial imbalance problem, and the conditions can be improved or eliminated with a rebalancing (with e.g. a fecal implant). Perhaps, a healthy gut=a healthy, lean body.

bap

That joke has got me more "likes" on Facebook than any other post.

Certified Running Coach
                            Crocked since 2013

A friend of mine has salad for lunch regularly. He said he wants to lose some weight. And then he often has a cake afterward. He still couldn't resist sugar. He watched me eating a huge portion of Chinese take-away for lunch and asked how I could be so thin having such a large portion of Chinese takeaway every lunch. I said: "My Chinese takeaway is not like the popular one that you guys like, sweet sour pork, spring roll, greasy chicken chow mein. In my plate, there is hardly any sugar, no deep fried. The steamed rice mainly contains glucose and less than 1% is converted to fat. That is the secret."

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)